Used 2005 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Insight Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

2005 Honda Insight CVT
By Ryan B.

2005 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased this new from dealer to help offset my high miles that I drive. Excellent car, lives up to its fuel efficiency claim.

Favorite Features

MPG displays, low profile

Suggested Improvements

Little more comfort.

Best car I've ever bought
By DriverMan

2005 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

What a refreshing, wonderful experience: a car I've bought that does exactly what I expected and a lot more plus is saving me MORE and MORE money every day. I love it. Plenty of power, fantastic mileage. When it hits 200,000 miles, I'll definitely buy another Honda Insight!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, in excess of 64mpg and sometimes as high as 75mpg (mostly freeway driving in So. Calif at 65mph. with A/C climate control on. Easy to park. Very peppy if needed. Very quiet, comfortable. Safe !

Suggested Improvements

Center console armrest. Bigger elect motor for even more power w/solar panels to boost electrics and to be used when car is parked to run 12v A/C.

Best Commuter in the World
By Pierre

2005 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Sweet little car that gets the job done, currently averaging 70 mpg with 70% fwy driving. Totally reliable, quite, very peppy & fun to drive. Get stopped & questioned a lot about it. Easily go over 100 mph with it

Favorite Features

Mileage, mileage, mileage. Very quiet and comfortable, Trip computer makes it easy to control fuel usage. Climate control excellent.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful electric motor, overnight chargability for even better performance.

My Favorite Car Ever
By Custom Computer

2005 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Have driven this car 16,000 miles in 4 months of ownership. It's fantastic, a perfect complement for daily commute plus I can use the car pool lane. My mileage averages 61MPG even though I've hit speeds of 75 mph for hours in a recent trip to Houston Texas. Round trip was 3400 miles and the car was just FANTASTIC: comfortable, quiet, plenty of power to keep up with everybody although most drivers on Texas freeways during Christmas holiday were at 85+ mph. The complaint people have about tires "hunting" freeway grooves; no problem, replaced by my dealer with Yokohama, wider tires which are absolutely perfect! No hunting great handling, mileage not affected so far. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Unique, good balance of power, handling and phenomenal gas mileage & range. The savings in gas covers my car payment since I drive about 36,000 miles per year. The car easily drives 600+ miles on a tank with reserve.

Suggested Improvements

Offer upgrades in IMA system for enthusiasts; yes we are out there!!! A type R version would be fantastic. Darker glass in back. CD Changer. Phone kit. Standard options are first rate

I've owned 3 of them
By William Kinney

The Honda Insight is an amazing vehicle. I drive mainly on highways and country roads, and over 155,000 miles (my 3 cars combined) I have averaged 86 MPG. If you only need 2 seats and do lots of highway trips, this is the car for you! For maximum mpg I highly recommend the 5-spd, as the CVT does not have the lean burn catalyst (good for an extra 21 mpg) I have never had a flat tire, battery problem, or any other problem. The ride is a little firm, with relatively high pressure in the tires. But ANYONE can achieve mpg in the 80's, if desired. Just set tires to maximum (rated on side of tire) and slow down a little, trying to hold a steady speed and keeping in lean burn mode.

Favorite Features

aerodynamic shape, underbody covers, quiet engine.

Suggested Improvements

slighty lower roofline (overall height) to help with drag reduction