LONG-Term Honda Insight
By Woody Smith on
2004 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)
Mine is a 2000 Insight purchased in March, 2000. It now has 116,000 miles on the odometer and has been absolutely trouble free. I mean, not even as much as a single lightbulb has ever needed replacement. In brief, it is the very best car I have ever owned by a VERY wide margin, and I've owned a few, including a big Mercedes, two BMWs, two Volvos, an Alfa Romeo, and other nice cars. It's a spectacular long-distance cruiser -- I once went over 800 miles actually nonstop, and only stopped then because I had to pee -- I still had gasoline left in the 10.6 gal tank. It's quiet and comfy and is the only car I've ever owned where I don't need the seat all the way back. I absolutely LOVE it!
Favorite Features
Extreme gas mileage, extreme reliability, comfort even for big folks (I'm 6'4", 290 lbs.), Buck Rogers styling, lidar stealth technology (!), ergonomics, maneuverability, and the way it still, even after 5 years, draws a crowd in a supermarket parking lot. Again, it;s the best car I've ever had.
Suggested Improvements
They should use lithium ion batteries with higher capacity, allowing the electric motor to take more of the load for longer periods of time. The peculiar 165/65R14 tires are very hard to find with only Bridgestone Potenza RE92s available when I'd rather run on quieter, better handling Pirelli P5s.