Used 2004 Honda Insight Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Insight

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Most Helpful|
LONG-Term Honda Insight
By Woody Smith

2004 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Mine is a 2000 Insight purchased in March, 2000. It now has 116,000 miles on the odometer and has been absolutely trouble free. I mean, not even as much as a single lightbulb has ever needed replacement. In brief, it is the very best car I have ever owned by a VERY wide margin, and I've owned a few, including a big Mercedes, two BMWs, two Volvos, an Alfa Romeo, and other nice cars. It's a spectacular long-distance cruiser -- I once went over 800 miles actually nonstop, and only stopped then because I had to pee -- I still had gasoline left in the 10.6 gal tank. It's quiet and comfy and is the only car I've ever owned where I don't need the seat all the way back. I absolutely LOVE it!

Favorite Features

Extreme gas mileage, extreme reliability, comfort even for big folks (I'm 6'4", 290 lbs.), Buck Rogers styling, lidar stealth technology (!), ergonomics, maneuverability, and the way it still, even after 5 years, draws a crowd in a supermarket parking lot. Again, it;s the best car I've ever had.

Suggested Improvements

They should use lithium ion batteries with higher capacity, allowing the electric motor to take more of the load for longer periods of time. The peculiar 165/65R14 tires are very hard to find with only Bridgestone Potenza RE92s available when I'd rather run on quieter, better handling Pirelli P5s.

Good car
By south bay sean

I really wouldn't want any other car at this point. I am VERY tall and cruise control would be nice so that I could stretch my right leg sometimes. Other than that it is great!

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Power problem that made lights short out.

my most excellent Insight
By tom driscoll

This is by far the best car I ever drove. It handles great, goes as fast as I want, and gets over 80 mpg on the highway. It has plenty of cargo space. Just driving it and seeing the effect of my formerly heavy left foot on the mileage has transformed my driving from the usual "get there first" attitude to "get there in my own sweet time", and I enjoy driving much more now without the usual rush. If you're man enough to let go of beating everyone else you'll love it.

Favorite Features

The trip and instant mileage features, plus the bragging rights to the highest mileage on the planet.

Suggested Improvements

A seat cushion for long trips, and upgrades to the stereo.

Great car for the money
By Brian Tennis

My wife and I traded in a full size Nissan king cab truck and have saved thousands of dollars in fuel alone. This car is very fun to drive, as long as your not trying to blow away people at stop lights. You have to be very smart when driving this car, as it is battery assisted and you will need to rely on the battery for true fuel savings. Remember, the battery acts like an overdrive, it helps you get up to speed and helps you out with the fuel that you would normally use to get up to cruising speed. This is one of the best cars we have ever owned, if not the best. Just keep in mind, the way you drive this car will directly impact your fuel savings, and winter driving can be quite hairy.

Favorite Features

Looks, fuel economy, gawkers.

Suggested Improvements

The brakes can be scary in the winter time.

Hybrids KICK GAS
By CraigSquirrel

Much more fun than we ever imagined. Quick and fast. Cruises on highway at 70-90 with no problem other than having to occasionaly downshift. Concentrating on milage we get upper 60mpg's. Driving fast low 50's. In city, Washington DC, no option other than drive aggressively we get low 40's. Great city car because nimble and quick. When supersized, dark colored SUV's tend to get aggressive it's a simple matter to leave them in the rear view mirror with a smile. Many people think the car is all electric and most don't know it gets up to 70 mpg and can go 115 mph. Commercial media, the one source most Americans use for news, does a horrible job of informing the public.

Favorite Features

Filling up with gas at home and driving to work while averaging 73 mpg. Silently coasting through parking lots, by people and into a parking space with the engine (auto)off. Getting 125 mpg at 70 mph while drafting a safe 2 seconds behind a semi.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger side blind spot! Better audio system. Narrow tires tend to track in road groves.