2003 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
2003 used purshase
By wildbill53 on 04/15/14 09:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I Bought it with 76,000 miles. IMA battery was replaced and all recalls/updates completed. I drive 240 miles a day from Tucson to Phoenix and back. I have 109,000 on it now. Fun to drive but does require a certain personality to drive. Meaning that you can't get on the gas all the time and expect the battery to stay charged. Also staying light on the gas will defiantly improve mileage. If I keep it around 65 I can get over 80 mpg going to Phoenix and around 65 on the trip back(Phoenix is 1526 ft lower than Tucson). So my tank average is around 67 to 72. My worst is around 57mpg but that is a windy day, no drafting, A/C on and going 75+ mph. It can top 90+mpg with drafting and 62mph

Great two person car
By catmwarrior on 05/28/10 23:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am the original owner of the 2003 Insight I have. Easy to maintain. I have the four speaker, six disk change, and tape player for a radio. Sounds really good. The car does have a lot of road noise, but dependable, great on gas, and easy to use. I am 6'-2" and I have plenty of room in it for me. I drove mine from Mojave California to Pennsylvania on only four tanks of gas. I only drove it at 55 MPH the whole why though. I usually spend less than $600 dollars on gas for the whole year!

great car for a guy to commute.
By crazyjake1982 on 03/14/10 16:24 PM (PDT)

I bought this car new in march of 2003 and I have put 130,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable and rugged. I drive 52 miles one way to work and I get an honest 60 miles per gallon on every tank full. It is not good on snow being so low, and it's performance on ice was terrible with the original tires, I soon bought snow tires and that was well worth the money. I love this car.

Great Car!
By SL on 01/19/07 12:34 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car is great...I wish there were more cubbyholes in the car to put change, DL, etc. The car is tiny but it performs extremely well. Drives like a normal car but half the price at the station.

SO MUCH FUN I WANT TWO
By FRED on 06/22/06 12:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the most fun car to drive and for a 6'4" guy, comfortable and zippy.I want to buy another in a different color it is so much fun. I have a Mercedes convertible, a Lexus Wagon and my daughter a new Cabriolet. You can have all of them. I like driving alone and have as much space in the back of my Insight as my Lexus. I am going to dump my others and get a blue one. I may not drive that much, but I get there faster than the huge SUVs who try and kill me out of jealousy. Never seem to put gas..what high prices? It is so quiet I never know if it is running. This is the least written or reviewed hybrid because it isn't a family car. I am glad I got rid of them.

Great Car!! Ignore Consumer Reports
By J Baxter on 01/11/06 15:57 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought this car in 2003 so I could retire my 1987 BMW convertible to preserve it. Interior layout and "look,touch,feel" very similar to BMW, so I was at home right away. Acceleration is zippy, but not faster than the rest of the pack. Handling is really good and suspension is very taut (like performance-oriented European cars). Lifetime average fuel economy has been about 56 mpg and 60+ on the highway is the norm. Tires are the biggest problem with stock setup-the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas stink. Am now using 1+ size Kuhmo Solus so handling is vastly improved esp. under wet/snowy road conditions. Totally reliable car, and outstanding dealer support (way better than Audi/BMW dealers).

A sweet little ride!
By rubian77 on 08/03/05 14:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

If you're looking for a car that is great on gas mileage but you don't need a ton of cargo room, this is the vehicle for you! Even with only 3 cylinders, this little buggy has a good amount of get-up-and-go. Driving in the snow is trickier; you just have to take it easy and give yourself more time. Some say it's uncomfortable, but I don't think it's that bad - and I spend about 75-80 minutes driving one way. Repairs don't cost any more than other cars, despite the hybrid technology.

WOW !
By Jimbeemer on 01/16/05 16:59 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I just bought this Insight yesterday and I can sum it up so far by saying WOW! This car is spacious for 2 adults, comfortable (almost like my Civic and much better than my Miata), fun to drive, gets great mileage (55 mpg with CVT so far after 900 miles and during the winter), has award-winning engineering and design, has the typical Honda fabulous build quality and attention to detail, and has slick cutting-edge technology everwhere you look (hybrid IMA system, silky smooth CVT transmission, electric power steering, automatic HVAC system, ABS brakes, and the list goes on-and-on).

It doesn't get any better than this!
By Tim Guiles on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

In the summer I get 85 miles to the gallon while driving normally through the mountains and valleys of Vermont. This car is great in the snow - - - I live 2 miles off the paved road at the end of a small dirt road and I continue to be impressed by the capabilities of this car.

Driving a 5000 mile trip to Iowa
By onlyjazz on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

The handling up and through mountain passes was amazing. I passed many other cars going up the passes. The batteries charged well going down the other side. I had the opportunity in Montana to test for top speed on a long level road. I was amazed at the result: 105 mph. The car was overload with travel necessities, but performed and handled well.