Used 2003 Honda Insight Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Insight

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Great Car!
By SL

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car is great...I wish there were more cubbyholes in the car to put change, DL, etc. The car is tiny but it performs extremely well. Drives like a normal car but half the price at the station.

Favorite Features

Greatest feature has to be plain and simple...it's a hybrid.

Suggested Improvements

More cubbyholes...

SO MUCH FUN I WANT TWO
By FRED

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the most fun car to drive and for a 6'4" guy, comfortable and zippy.I want to buy another in a different color it is so much fun. I have a Mercedes convertible, a Lexus Wagon and my daughter a new Cabriolet. You can have all of them. I like driving alone and have as much space in the back of my Insight as my Lexus. I am going to dump my others and get a blue one. I may not drive that much, but I get there faster than the huge SUVs who try and kill me out of jealousy. Never seem to put gas..what high prices? It is so quiet I never know if it is running. This is the least written or reviewed hybrid because it isn't a family car. I am glad I got rid of them.

Favorite Features

The smoothness and so quiet. Good automatic transmission, lots of headroom and tons of storage and it handles like a sports car. Great dashboard and space. I also had great carpeting added. I have never seen an Insight advertised on TV. I walked into the showroom, drove it 4 blocks and wrote a check.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a leather interior, but I have custom covers which are really hot looking.I hate music in cars but would think about a CD player. Air conditioning is almost too cold but I love it cold. It is so low, maybe they should put a signaling device when parking close to concrete stop barriers.

Great Car!! Ignore Consumer Reports
By J Baxter

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought this car in 2003 so I could retire my 1987 BMW convertible to preserve it. Interior layout and "look,touch,feel" very similar to BMW, so I was at home right away. Acceleration is zippy, but not faster than the rest of the pack. Handling is really good and suspension is very taut (like performance-oriented European cars). Lifetime average fuel economy has been about 56 mpg and 60+ on the highway is the norm. Tires are the biggest problem with stock setup-the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas stink. Am now using 1+ size Kuhmo Solus so handling is vastly improved esp. under wet/snowy road conditions. Totally reliable car, and outstanding dealer support (way better than Audi/BMW dealers).

Favorite Features

It's a hoot to drive, reliable, and great on gas. My preferred "long trip" car. I like the "techno dash" with all the digital readouts. Few others own one--it's unique and a conversation starter at gas stations and other places... I get lots of "it's so cute!!!"

Suggested Improvements

The OEM tires--they ride rough and stink in rain/snow. Bear in mind this car was designed for fuel economy and it delivers--so don't expect it to do everything. While a 2-seater is not for everyone, if you analyze your driving you might realize a 2-seater is all you need 95% of the time.

A sweet little ride!
By rubian77

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

If you're looking for a car that is great on gas mileage but you don't need a ton of cargo room, this is the vehicle for you! Even with only 3 cylinders, this little buggy has a good amount of get-up-and-go. Driving in the snow is trickier; you just have to take it easy and give yourself more time. Some say it's uncomfortable, but I don't think it's that bad - and I spend about 75-80 minutes driving one way. Repairs don't cost any more than other cars, despite the hybrid technology.

Favorite Features

-Gas mileage, of course! I get 45-50mpg. -Very eye-catching. Everyone thinks it's adorable! -Cabin design is comfy and intuitively organized. -Auto Stop is fun!

Suggested Improvements

-Cruise control would be nice. -the 2003 model doesn't have an in-dash cd player, so I had to get an aftermarket one. -optional 4wd or some other traction control that you can turn on/off would be cool.

WOW !
By Jimbeemer

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I just bought this Insight yesterday and I can sum it up so far by saying WOW! This car is spacious for 2 adults, comfortable (almost like my Civic and much better than my Miata), fun to drive, gets great mileage (55 mpg with CVT so far after 900 miles and during the winter), has award-winning engineering and design, has the typical Honda fabulous build quality and attention to detail, and has slick cutting-edge technology everwhere you look (hybrid IMA system, silky smooth CVT transmission, electric power steering, automatic HVAC system, ABS brakes, and the list goes on-and-on).

Favorite Features

Spacious interior and all-day comfort, eye-catching looks, great mileage, Honda design and build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system and center arm rest would be a plus.