Used 2003 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

2003 used purshase
By wildbill53

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I Bought it with 76,000 miles. IMA battery was replaced and all recalls/updates completed. I drive 240 miles a day from Tucson to Phoenix and back. I have 109,000 on it now. Fun to drive but does require a certain personality to drive. Meaning that you can't get on the gas all the time and expect the battery to stay charged. Also staying light on the gas will defiantly improve mileage. If I keep it around 65 I can get over 80 mpg going to Phoenix and around 65 on the trip back(Phoenix is 1526 ft lower than Tucson). So my tank average is around 67 to 72. My worst is around 57mpg but that is a windy day, no drafting, A/C on and going 75+ mph. It can top 90+mpg with drafting and 62mph

Saving money on gas. It rides on the highway well. Turns a lot of heads.

A more comfortable seat for the long drives. I find myself sliding down and sitting back up quite a bit. Really, A cassette player in 2003? It would not have hurt to have a cruise control. As with all low profile cars....getting in and out is a flop in and roll out situation.

Great two person car
By catmwarrior

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am the original owner of the 2003 Insight I have. Easy to maintain. I have the four speaker, six disk change, and tape player for a radio. Sounds really good. The car does have a lot of road noise, but dependable, great on gas, and easy to use. I am 6'-2" and I have plenty of room in it for me. I drove mine from Mojave California to Pennsylvania on only four tanks of gas. I only drove it at 55 MPH the whole why though. I usually spend less than $600 dollars on gas for the whole year!

Fuel consumption display, and the radio

Increase the 400 lb weight limit

great car for a guy to commute.
By crazyjake1982

I bought this car new in march of 2003 and I have put 130,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable and rugged. I drive 52 miles one way to work and I get an honest 60 miles per gallon on every tank full. It is not good on snow being so low, and it's performance on ice was terrible with the original tires, I soon bought snow tires and that was well worth the money. I love this car.

crazy good fuel mileage 60+ average on highway. Very unique car that gets lots of attention.

cruise control, center armrest

Great Car!
By SL

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car is great...I wish there were more cubbyholes in the car to put change, DL, etc. The car is tiny but it performs extremely well. Drives like a normal car but half the price at the station.

Greatest feature has to be plain and simple...it's a hybrid.

More cubbyholes...

SO MUCH FUN I WANT TWO
By FRED

2003 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the most fun car to drive and for a 6'4" guy, comfortable and zippy.I want to buy another in a different color it is so much fun. I have a Mercedes convertible, a Lexus Wagon and my daughter a new Cabriolet. You can have all of them. I like driving alone and have as much space in the back of my Insight as my Lexus. I am going to dump my others and get a blue one. I may not drive that much, but I get there faster than the huge SUVs who try and kill me out of jealousy. Never seem to put gas..what high prices? It is so quiet I never know if it is running. This is the least written or reviewed hybrid because it isn't a family car. I am glad I got rid of them.

The smoothness and so quiet. Good automatic transmission, lots of headroom and tons of storage and it handles like a sports car. Great dashboard and space. I also had great carpeting added. I have never seen an Insight advertised on TV. I walked into the showroom, drove it 4 blocks and wrote a check.

Maybe a leather interior, but I have custom covers which are really hot looking.I hate music in cars but would think about a CD player. Air conditioning is almost too cold but I love it cold. It is so low, maybe they should put a signaling device when parking close to concrete stop barriers.