DO NOT buy an older model Insight
By trianglemann on
2002 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I owned one for 5 years, servicing every 3 months. In that time: 1. Need to replace cat converter ($1,200). 2. Need to replace IMA ($2,700). 3. Need to replace transmission ($2,200). 4. Need to replace flywheel. 5. Wheels randomly seize up almost causing an accident. Dealer doesn't know why ($100 diagnostic). 6. Need to replace engine ($3,800). 7. Need to replace transmission ($2,200). 8. Need to replace IMA again ($2,800). 9. Need to replace wiring ($550). Used/aftermarket parts are hard or impossible to find. 2 of 3 dealers had extremely poor workmanship (I was a mechanic). Car never lasted more than 3 months w/o something breaking, and every part on it is EXPENSIVE.
Favorite Features
When everything was working properly, it averaged 60mpg in 50/50 city/highway driving. Even with the IMA out, it still averaged 40mpg.
Suggested Improvements
1. Cheaper parts. 2. Honda dealers that hire qualified mechanics, not screwups. 3. Seats don't go down, extremely uncomfortable on road trips.
By larry_lanier
on 01/26/14 09:05 AM (PST)

I have a 2002 and have been relatively lucky so far. Worst was having to replace the IMA for $2500. I keep it well maintained and it still runs like new. Frustratingly, the previous owner must have lived on a really dusty road or out west cause the paint on the hood is covered with small pits. Most of the plastic shielding is gone from the undercarriage. I was on the interstate recently and the front part came loose and folded up under the car...dragging on the road. I had to pull over and cut it loose before getting back on the road. I get a lot of fun looks and comments about the car. Its a real rarity now. I almost never seen one on the road. I do share the parts concerns both mechanically and body parts. I need a passenger side rear fender skirt. The previous owner scraped it and I would love to replace it.