2002 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Favorite Car to Drive
By Edmond on 11/06/07 19:48 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased the CVT and have not regretted the purchase at all. I get an average of 52 mpg in LA with stop/go/AC. The car had 80,000 existing miles but Honda's extended warranty (150K) for the battery as well as the Honda Care extended warranty (7yr/100K) has taken care of any concerns. I enjoy the car so much that I will be selling my other car because I no longer drive it. Looking forward to the release of the 2009 Insight.

Honda Insight is great
By dshirley on 08/22/06 22:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love my Insight. 50 to over 60 mpg, great looks (it's red) and can park in tiny spaces. Plenty of cargo capacity, too.

2002 Honda Insight review
By Doug Myers on 08/02/06 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

From Mile zero to 42345 the average mpg is 62.2 overall. Highest was a trip of 320 miles and averaged 89.2 mpg. Yes, I had a tailwind - ;-)

My Insight Driving Expirence
By Andrew J on 07/24/06 19:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I drive mainly on interstate highway. My commute to work is about 96 miles round trip, all but 10miles are super highway. The vehicle has nearly 115,000 miles with an overall average mpg of 64.3. I haven't had any problems with the car and have replaced 4 tires once, and the front brakes just once. Because of the conditions of our Mass highways, I have had to replace the windshield twice and will need to replace it a third time before the next inspection. My Insight is a 5 speed manual with air conditioning.

Better than expected
By Steve on 07/11/06 11:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car accelerates better than I expected. I thought it'd be a dog, but it's much quicker than I thought it would be. The only problem I've had is with the odometer. It's stuck on the current trip mileage and won't return to overall mileage, so I'll need to get this repaired so I'll know when to change the oil. I've been cross country with this car half a dozen times or so, I wish it had cruise control, but that's not an option. The ride is a little more harsh than most cars, but I'm used to it, and going long distance is no problem. I can get the advertised 65 mpg highway IF I drive 55mph, but I just drive it the normal hwy speed and get about 50 mpg hwy. Overall I get 47 mpg.

the jetson mobile
By montecarlobluepearl on 07/02/06 17:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

i get between 45-55 mpg in the winter and up to 70mpg in the summer. Awesome vehicle even handles well in up to a foot of snow. Can get up to 90mph on the highway. Haven't had any problems with it since I bought it.

A great car
By dan ginsburg on 06/06/06 05:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

The Honda Insight is fun to look at, fun to drive, and the gas mileage is outstanding (I have gotten 50 mpg since I bought the car). It is best with the 5 speed manual transmission.

Smart and Fun
By Craig on 05/18/06 14:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

If you are confident enough to only need your vehicle define you are "smart" and "innovative" then this is the car for you. It's for people who like a sporty look as they tool around town and want to save on fuel as they do so. For those of you with fragile egos, there will always be SUVs. See you at the pumps!

Proud Insight Owner!
By Mia on 03/12/06 07:39 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Awesome!!!!!! Go American Honda!!!! Ahead of its time and so am I. SULEV and thus far a lifetime MPG of 56 MPG. I'm showing America (with the help of Honda) a better way. Thank you!

What A Little Gem!
By Tim on 02/26/06 07:49 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I originally bought this car, new, partially for it's technology and partially because I have always preferred smaller cars. My test ride was more than I expected and I was especially surprised at it's sportiness and very good excelleration. Other than normal oil changes, filters, I have had zero problems and just a great experience with this little gem for the past four years. I have taken several long trips (more than 1000 miles) and was not only very comfortable but averaged over 80 MPG, and my speed was over 70 MPH-usually 80 MPH. I enjoy passing by a huge gas guzzling SUV and just smile with a grin that says who's the dumb irresponsible consumer now?