2001 Honda Insight Consumer Review: Free Car?

2001 Honda Insight - Consumer Review

2001 Honda Insight

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual)

Free Car?
By Kris on

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have a 75 mile daily commute to work (San Diego to Irvine). I was driving a Nissan Xterra (paid off) getting 16 mpg and paying $680 a month in gas. I bought my Honda Insight for $11,000 and have a monthly payment of $225 a month. The Insight gets 50 mpg (+-2 mpg) even with all the SoCal hills and traffic. I am now paying $210 a month in gas. This is a total cost (both car payment and gas) of $435 a month, a savings of $245 a month in just the gas for my Xterra. It feels like I'm saving money and I got a free car in the process. Pretty wild! I still own the Xterra but I only use it for Home Depot runs. All this and it's a blast to drive around town. My advice...Buy one!

Gas mileage, ability to monitor gas mileage in real time, quickness, handling and legroom. Especially legroom, I am 6'4" and believe it or not this car has more legroom than my Xterra.

The car is noisy on the inside. Honda did not add any sound proofing in order to save weight and maximize mileage. I have since installed dynamat sound proofing mats and this has helped tremendously, with no perceptible decrease in mileage. Note to Honda: No need to skimp on this in the future.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review