2001 Honda Insight 1.0L 3-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Great Commuter Car!

2001 Honda Insight - Consumer Review

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual)

Great Commuter Car!
By Sam on

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

The Insight has proven to be a very economical car for me. I drive about 160 miles round trip to and from work 5 days a week and my gas bill is about a fourth of what it costs to drive my Ford Ranger. It has reasonably good performance for a hybrid vehicle although it takes some getting used to. It's kind of fun to challenge yourself and see how much mileage you can squeeze out of a tank of gas. My personal best is 57.6 mpg in mixed city and highway driving. The car is well put together except for the dashboard LCD display, which has some leakage (common in early Insights). Overall a very enjoyable car to own and operate but that factory stereo has got to go!

Favorite Features

Outstanding fuel economy; Honda reliability & build quality.

Suggested Improvements

The power window switch for the passenger side should be on the passenger side, not to the left of the steering wheel. For all the attention to detail that Honda obviously put into this car I can't believe they'd put such a crappy sounding factory stereo it it.