2001 Honda Insight Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2001 Insight Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Sort Reviews by

BEST Car I ever owned
By Tooler1988

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Why they stopped making this car I will never understand. Running original plugs at 230000 miles. On 3rd set of tires, Getting 70000 per set. Only thing that had to be replaced was the air fuel sensor, which took me less then 10 min to do. Great in the snow.

Favorite Features

Just a pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Just bring the car back just as it was. How could they call the newer version the insite and get LESS MPG???? That is a joke. I WILL NOT BUY IT. After 10 years they go backwards...

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By SemperJoe

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the coolest and best car I have ever own. I have saved thousands of dollars on gas driving this - not to mention helping the environment. I highly recommend this car to anyone considering one!!!

Favorite Features

The exterior look of this car is awesome - my friends call it the Bat Mobile. The hybrid drive train is fantastic. Getting 60+ MPG is REAL nice! This car can park and drive in small spaces most cars wouldn't even dream of!!!

Suggested Improvements

The drive is low - but I suppose this is with in keeping with the aerodynamics.

2001 Honda Insight
By sparky23

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Over my lifetime, I have bought eight new cars from a Karman Ghia to a Cadillac. This by far is the best car, new or used, I have ever had. Great conversational piece, incredible reliability, and unbelievably economical. Oh and did I mention that the all aluminum body does not rust. It still looks like new.

Free Car?
By Kris

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have a 75 mile daily commute to work (San Diego to Irvine). I was driving a Nissan Xterra (paid off) getting 16 mpg and paying $680 a month in gas. I bought my Honda Insight for $11,000 and have a monthly payment of $225 a month. The Insight gets 50 mpg (+-2 mpg) even with all the SoCal hills and traffic. I am now paying $210 a month in gas. This is a total cost (both car payment and gas) of $435 a month, a savings of $245 a month in just the gas for my Xterra. It feels like I'm saving money and I got a free car in the process. Pretty wild! I still own the Xterra but I only use it for Home Depot runs. All this and it's a blast to drive around town. My advice...Buy one!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ability to monitor gas mileage in real time, quickness, handling and legroom. Especially legroom, I am 6'4" and believe it or not this car has more legroom than my Xterra.

Suggested Improvements

The car is noisy on the inside. Honda did not add any sound proofing in order to save weight and maximize mileage. I have since installed dynamat sound proofing mats and this has helped tremendously, with no perceptible decrease in mileage. Note to Honda: No need to skimp on this in the future.

50+mpg, totally trouble free
By Dave

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Except for no center armrest in console the best designed most efficient vehicle I have ever owned. Fun, cute, 10K miles mid-February to early june. 53mpg. average--with automatic, AC, PS, PB, PW, P. locks, P. mirrors. Comfortable and surprisingly roomy. 5 day round trip Tucson to San Francisco, driver and passenger and luggage - 38 gallons, $105, 1900 miles! And American Honda transferred the warranty (8 yr./100K miles) for $50 transfer fee, then informed me they had extended the driveline warranty from 8/100K to 10/150K.

Long Live the Insight!
By Dan L

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

It's a tragedy that Honda never really promoted the Insight in the USA. We love it - peppy, great gas mileage (30-50 city, 55-70 hwy), great looking. Now why would anybody need a larger car for commuting? A geniune joy to drive. We're sad to hear that Honda is discontinuing it in Sept. 2006. It will be missed by those who had the good sense to get one. Honda would be smart to produce a hybrid Fit (our other car).

Favorite Features

High gas mileage (30-50 mpg city, 55-70 mpg hwy); great digital instrument panel with gas mileage at any given instant; just plain fun to drive

Ingrid the Insight
By Shoe

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the best purchase I've ever made. 90k miles later, I'm still loving it. You must be committed to the cause of low emissions and reduced fuel consumption, because a two seater with fewer horses than most riding mowers is not for everyone. I can fit two sets of golf clubs in the back and my passenger and I are very comfortable. Smart car. You'd look smart driving it.

Favorite Features

Stylish trim and colors - nothing cheap looking. Very large cargo space with a net and recessed trunk area behind the battery. Of course, getting 65 mpg is a favorite feature too.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders conflict with manual shift knob and cigarette lighter. Door needs a storage pocket. A/C can get too cold.

Great Commuter Car!
By Sam

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

The Insight has proven to be a very economical car for me. I drive about 160 miles round trip to and from work 5 days a week and my gas bill is about a fourth of what it costs to drive my Ford Ranger. It has reasonably good performance for a hybrid vehicle although it takes some getting used to. It's kind of fun to challenge yourself and see how much mileage you can squeeze out of a tank of gas. My personal best is 57.6 mpg in mixed city and highway driving. The car is well put together except for the dashboard LCD display, which has some leakage (common in early Insights). Overall a very enjoyable car to own and operate but that factory stereo has got to go!

Favorite Features

Outstanding fuel economy; Honda reliability & build quality.

Suggested Improvements

The power window switch for the passenger side should be on the passenger side, not to the left of the steering wheel. For all the attention to detail that Honda obviously put into this car I can't believe they'd put such a crappy sounding factory stereo it it.

Best efficiency by a long shot
By Charlie

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

If you really want high mpg, this is the car to get. I've got 83 mpg average since I've owned it, and 93 mpg on the last tank. People worry about cargo capacity, etc., but I've fit some pretty huge things in, and for the gas savings, you can rent a U-haul when you need it.

Favorite Features

The efficiency is my favorite feature, but It's the most fun car to drive that I've ever had.

Great Little Car
By mh54

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

My 2001 Insight is coming up on 100,000 miles of oil-change only driving. It has been an excellent automobile! Yes, I wish it was a little more powerful, but 60 MPG does not come without cost.

Favorite Features

Reliability and cost of operation.

Suggested Improvements

More interior storage bins. Better cup holder placement.