Used 2001 Honda Insight Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

BEST Car I ever owned
By Tooler1988

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Why they stopped making this car I will never understand. Running original plugs at 230000 miles. On 3rd set of tires, Getting 70000 per set. Only thing that had to be replaced was the air fuel sensor, which took me less then 10 min to do. Great in the snow.

Just a pleasure to drive.

Just bring the car back just as it was. How could they call the newer version the insite and get LESS MPG???? That is a joke. I WILL NOT BUY IT. After 10 years they go backwards...

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By SemperJoe

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the coolest and best car I have ever own. I have saved thousands of dollars on gas driving this - not to mention helping the environment. I highly recommend this car to anyone considering one!!!

The exterior look of this car is awesome - my friends call it the Bat Mobile. The hybrid drive train is fantastic. Getting 60+ MPG is REAL nice! This car can park and drive in small spaces most cars wouldn't even dream of!!!

The drive is low - but I suppose this is with in keeping with the aerodynamics.

2001 Honda Insight
By sparky23

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Over my lifetime, I have bought eight new cars from a Karman Ghia to a Cadillac. This by far is the best car, new or used, I have ever had. Great conversational piece, incredible reliability, and unbelievably economical. Oh and did I mention that the all aluminum body does not rust. It still looks like new.

Free Car?
By Kris

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have a 75 mile daily commute to work (San Diego to Irvine). I was driving a Nissan Xterra (paid off) getting 16 mpg and paying $680 a month in gas. I bought my Honda Insight for $11,000 and have a monthly payment of $225 a month. The Insight gets 50 mpg (+-2 mpg) even with all the SoCal hills and traffic. I am now paying $210 a month in gas. This is a total cost (both car payment and gas) of $435 a month, a savings of $245 a month in just the gas for my Xterra. It feels like I'm saving money and I got a free car in the process. Pretty wild! I still own the Xterra but I only use it for Home Depot runs. All this and it's a blast to drive around town. My advice...Buy one!

Gas mileage, ability to monitor gas mileage in real time, quickness, handling and legroom. Especially legroom, I am 6'4" and believe it or not this car has more legroom than my Xterra.

The car is noisy on the inside. Honda did not add any sound proofing in order to save weight and maximize mileage. I have since installed dynamat sound proofing mats and this has helped tremendously, with no perceptible decrease in mileage. Note to Honda: No need to skimp on this in the future.

50+mpg, totally trouble free
By Dave

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Except for no center armrest in console the best designed most efficient vehicle I have ever owned. Fun, cute, 10K miles mid-February to early june. 53mpg. average--with automatic, AC, PS, PB, PW, P. locks, P. mirrors. Comfortable and surprisingly roomy. 5 day round trip Tucson to San Francisco, driver and passenger and luggage - 38 gallons, $105, 1900 miles! And American Honda transferred the warranty (8 yr./100K miles) for $50 transfer fee, then informed me they had extended the driveline warranty from 8/100K to 10/150K.