2001 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Mine is running good at 208,000 miles!
By Johnny916 on 04/26/10 23:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car to own, I've had several of them already. The latest one came with CVT Transmission/AC/Cruise Control. Love them, I think it's the most reliable vehicle on the road because it's so light and doesn't take a lot of engine power to move it around.

BEST Car I ever owned
By Tooler1988 on 08/25/09 11:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Why they stopped making this car I will never understand. Running original plugs at 230000 miles. On 3rd set of tires, Getting 70000 per set. Only thing that had to be replaced was the air fuel sensor, which took me less then 10 min to do. Great in the snow.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By SemperJoe on 03/21/09 19:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the coolest and best car I have ever own. I have saved thousands of dollars on gas driving this - not to mention helping the environment. I highly recommend this car to anyone considering one!!!

2001 Honda Insight
By sparky23 on 03/29/08 06:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Over my lifetime, I have bought eight new cars from a Karman Ghia to a Cadillac. This by far is the best car, new or used, I have ever had. Great conversational piece, incredible reliability, and unbelievably economical. Oh and did I mention that the all aluminum body does not rust. It still looks like new.

Free Car?
By Kris on 03/16/08 08:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have a 75 mile daily commute to work (San Diego to Irvine). I was driving a Nissan Xterra (paid off) getting 16 mpg and paying $680 a month in gas. I bought my Honda Insight for $11,000 and have a monthly payment of $225 a month. The Insight gets 50 mpg (+-2 mpg) even with all the SoCal hills and traffic. I am now paying $210 a month in gas. This is a total cost (both car payment and gas) of $435 a month, a savings of $245 a month in just the gas for my Xterra. It feels like I'm saving money and I got a free car in the process. Pretty wild! I still own the Xterra but I only use it for Home Depot runs. All this and it's a blast to drive around town. My advice...Buy one!

50+mpg, totally trouble free
By Dave on 06/03/06 20:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Except for no center armrest in console the best designed most efficient vehicle I have ever owned. Fun, cute, 10K miles mid-February to early june. 53mpg. average--with automatic, AC, PS, PB, PW, P. locks, P. mirrors. Comfortable and surprisingly roomy. 5 day round trip Tucson to San Francisco, driver and passenger and luggage - 38 gallons, $105, 1900 miles! And American Honda transferred the warranty (8 yr./100K miles) for $50 transfer fee, then informed me they had extended the driveline warranty from 8/100K to 10/150K.

Long Live the Insight!
By Dan L on 05/26/06 21:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

It's a tragedy that Honda never really promoted the Insight in the USA. We love it - peppy, great gas mileage (30-50 city, 55-70 hwy), great looking. Now why would anybody need a larger car for commuting? A geniune joy to drive. We're sad to hear that Honda is discontinuing it in Sept. 2006. It will be missed by those who had the good sense to get one. Honda would be smart to produce a hybrid Fit (our other car).

Ingrid the Insight
By Shoe on 04/12/06 15:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the best purchase I've ever made. 90k miles later, I'm still loving it. You must be committed to the cause of low emissions and reduced fuel consumption, because a two seater with fewer horses than most riding mowers is not for everyone. I can fit two sets of golf clubs in the back and my passenger and I are very comfortable. Smart car. You'd look smart driving it.

Great Commuter Car!
By Sam on 08/22/05 16:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

The Insight has proven to be a very economical car for me. I drive about 160 miles round trip to and from work 5 days a week and my gas bill is about a fourth of what it costs to drive my Ford Ranger. It has reasonably good performance for a hybrid vehicle although it takes some getting used to. It's kind of fun to challenge yourself and see how much mileage you can squeeze out of a tank of gas. My personal best is 57.6 mpg in mixed city and highway driving. The car is well put together except for the dashboard LCD display, which has some leakage (common in early Insights). Overall a very enjoyable car to own and operate but that factory stereo has got to go!

Best efficiency by a long shot
By Charlie on 07/30/05 23:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

If you really want high mpg, this is the car to get. I've got 83 mpg average since I've owned it, and 93 mpg on the last tank. People worry about cargo capacity, etc., but I've fit some pretty huge things in, and for the gas savings, you can rent a U-haul when you need it.