Used 2001 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Insight

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

An exceptional car
By Ricky C. Savage

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car produces exceptionally good fuel economy. I average about 50-54 mpg regardless of how I drive and I drive it most of the time in the 60-75 mph. My Insight is a 2001 that I bought in March 2012 when it had 16,095 miles on it. I bought it from a dealer who told me the older lady who owned it got ill shortly after she bought it and it sat in the garage for most of the time between 2001 and 2012. My mileage now (Nov 2015) was 75,926 at my last fill-up so I have put almost 60,000 on the car in the last 3 years and 8 months. I needed to replace the main battery shortly after I bought the car probably because it sat around for much of the 11 years the lady owned it. When I first bought it, the gas mileage ranged from a low of 47.7 to a high of 60.3 mpg. I would guess the average mileage was about 53-54 mpg. I calculated the gas mileage by keeping meticulous records of when I filled the gas tank and I compared the Insight's mpg with that calculated by hand. The results were within 1 to 2 mpg of what I manually calculated so the readout gives a pretty honest record of the mpg actually achieved. The largest discrepancy was about 3 mpg but it did not happen very often (it happened about 3 times). The gas mileage was as low as 42.4 mpg on a hot day in July (when I use my a/c alot) and the average gas mileage now after all those miles is around 51 mpg. I do drive pretty fast now so that could be a factor because I generally drive 70-75 mph on the highways and I spend a lot of time on the highway. I have not had too much problem with my Insight and I really love this car. I take the Insight on long trips because I prefer better gas mileage with my Insight as compared to my Lincoln Town Car (although the Town Car is much more comfortable!).

Mine is running good at 208,000 miles!
By Johnny916

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car to own, I've had several of them already. The latest one came with CVT Transmission/AC/Cruise Control. Love them, I think it's the most reliable vehicle on the road because it's so light and doesn't take a lot of engine power to move it around.

Gas mileage is unbelievable! You don't even have to worry about going to the gas station every week! More like every two weeks but I estimated with my driving it saved me about $150-$170 per month and I drive around 1200 miles per month.

4 Doors would be nice which is already in the 2010.

BEST Car I ever owned
By Tooler1988

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Why they stopped making this car I will never understand. Running original plugs at 230000 miles. On 3rd set of tires, Getting 70000 per set. Only thing that had to be replaced was the air fuel sensor, which took me less then 10 min to do. Great in the snow.

Just a pleasure to drive.

Just bring the car back just as it was. How could they call the newer version the insite and get LESS MPG???? That is a joke. I WILL NOT BUY IT. After 10 years they go backwards...

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By SemperJoe

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the coolest and best car I have ever own. I have saved thousands of dollars on gas driving this - not to mention helping the environment. I highly recommend this car to anyone considering one!!!

The exterior look of this car is awesome - my friends call it the Bat Mobile. The hybrid drive train is fantastic. Getting 60+ MPG is REAL nice! This car can park and drive in small spaces most cars wouldn't even dream of!!!

The drive is low - but I suppose this is with in keeping with the aerodynamics.

2001 Honda Insight
By sparky23

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Over my lifetime, I have bought eight new cars from a Karman Ghia to a Cadillac. This by far is the best car, new or used, I have ever had. Great conversational piece, incredible reliability, and unbelievably economical. Oh and did I mention that the all aluminum body does not rust. It still looks like new.