Used 2001 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Most Helpful|
Mine is running good at 208,000 miles!
By Johnny916

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car to own, I've had several of them already. The latest one came with CVT Transmission/AC/Cruise Control. Love them, I think it's the most reliable vehicle on the road because it's so light and doesn't take a lot of engine power to move it around.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is unbelievable! You don't even have to worry about going to the gas station every week! More like every two weeks but I estimated with my driving it saved me about $150-$170 per month and I drive around 1200 miles per month.

Suggested Improvements

4 Doors would be nice which is already in the 2010.

BEST Car I ever owned
By Tooler1988

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Why they stopped making this car I will never understand. Running original plugs at 230000 miles. On 3rd set of tires, Getting 70000 per set. Only thing that had to be replaced was the air fuel sensor, which took me less then 10 min to do. Great in the snow.

Favorite Features

Just a pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Just bring the car back just as it was. How could they call the newer version the insite and get LESS MPG???? That is a joke. I WILL NOT BUY IT. After 10 years they go backwards...

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By SemperJoe

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is the coolest and best car I have ever own. I have saved thousands of dollars on gas driving this - not to mention helping the environment. I highly recommend this car to anyone considering one!!!

Favorite Features

The exterior look of this car is awesome - my friends call it the Bat Mobile. The hybrid drive train is fantastic. Getting 60+ MPG is REAL nice! This car can park and drive in small spaces most cars wouldn't even dream of!!!

Suggested Improvements

The drive is low - but I suppose this is with in keeping with the aerodynamics.

Free Car?
By Kris

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have a 75 mile daily commute to work (San Diego to Irvine). I was driving a Nissan Xterra (paid off) getting 16 mpg and paying $680 a month in gas. I bought my Honda Insight for $11,000 and have a monthly payment of $225 a month. The Insight gets 50 mpg (+-2 mpg) even with all the SoCal hills and traffic. I am now paying $210 a month in gas. This is a total cost (both car payment and gas) of $435 a month, a savings of $245 a month in just the gas for my Xterra. It feels like I'm saving money and I got a free car in the process. Pretty wild! I still own the Xterra but I only use it for Home Depot runs. All this and it's a blast to drive around town. My advice...Buy one!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ability to monitor gas mileage in real time, quickness, handling and legroom. Especially legroom, I am 6'4" and believe it or not this car has more legroom than my Xterra.

Suggested Improvements

The car is noisy on the inside. Honda did not add any sound proofing in order to save weight and maximize mileage. I have since installed dynamat sound proofing mats and this has helped tremendously, with no perceptible decrease in mileage. Note to Honda: No need to skimp on this in the future.

2001 Honda Insight
By sparky23

2001 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Over my lifetime, I have bought eight new cars from a Karman Ghia to a Cadillac. This by far is the best car, new or used, I have ever had. Great conversational piece, incredible reliability, and unbelievably economical. Oh and did I mention that the all aluminum body does not rust. It still looks like new.