2000 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.0L 3-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual - (46 reviews )
5 Years Later
By Carl Abert on 02/05/06 15:22 PM (PST)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Car has excceeded my expectations. The MPG for 122K+ miles is 70.5 MPG. Coming from a Dakota, gas consumption has been reduced by 700+ gallons a year. Do the math. While a bit underpowered, the 5 speed manual allows for compensation. Where's the 'Insight II' with 90 MPG or so...?

Honda Insight
By Andy on 12/27/05 23:27 PM (PST)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

The Overview basically sums it up... You just can't beat it for the money, used with aftermarket 5 yr 100K warranty for $7400. I did have a few slightly costly repairs from the previous owners minor accident, but it is well worth it in the long run. Everone should have their own Insight at least for a daily driver. I'm sure the costs would drop dramatically if enough people were buying them for commutes.

Great car
By Teresa on 01/05/05 10:04 AM (PST)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

No I don't have to plug it in. This vehicle has been incredibly reliable, like every other Honda I have owned. The color looks as fresh as if it was brand new. Everything is easy about this car, washing it, checking and changing the oil, and driving. The trips tho the gas station are the best attribute. 10 gallons of regular gas gets 500 miles of driving. Can't beat that.

My car is a fun game.
By bena on 12/07/04 16:45 PM (PST)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love my Insight. I play it like a video game, trying to get the "high score" of mileage. I also hate stopping to get gas. It's really wonderful to be able to drive from San Francisco to San Diego on less than one tank of gas. Because I play the game, I drive differently than I used to. I try not to speed up or slow down suddenly. My lifetime mileage is at 58 miles per gallon. I've found that where I drive makes the difference: hills, short trips and bad traffic are the things that reduce the mileage. Also the tires must be inflated for good mileage. I love the controls. I thought I wouldn't like the digital speedo, but I do. I found that the car is plenty big.

review
By eejjp on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Overall a great personal vehicle (no back seat). Can't beat the mileage. Has been factory realled 6 times.

Gotta Love It...
By Desert Boy on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Have owned car less than 6 months & it has already saved me over $300 in fuel expenses. As gas prices continue to soar, the savings margin also grows. On daily commute of over 56 miles one way I have been averaging between 80 & 85 mpg & have twice attained 91 mpg (!). My record for a shorter 17 mile trip is 100 mpg. This is a truly awesome vehicle. Of course, achieving these kind of figures requires adopting new, more fuel efficient driving habits. But even when in a hurry, one can easily get 50-60 mpg without even thinking. So, depending on driving conditions and locale you can get 600-900 miles of driving from a single tank. How do you like that, OPEC ?!!!

I'm in love with this car
By Sandals12349 on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car is a great car. i deliver pizzas in it and i get great gas efficiency with it. I buy less gas and fill it less times a week.

I love it!
By AG4dillac on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Have owned my Insight for 4 years with no problems. It's a blast to drive with great lower gears acceleration and overdrive higher gears for quiet extremely low RPM high speed cruising. It's still tight as a drum and wind noise is negligible due to its best production car aerodymanics. Sky high gas prices are of no concern with a lifetime average of 52mpg driving it like any other car, without concern for gas mileage. And it still gets thumbs up almost daily.

Oil imports? Trade deficits? Pollution?
By skyemoor on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

(50,000+ mile review) 2 Seat Family Car Limitation: First, install an on/off switch for the passenger side airbag. Next, the Insight can be used when 2 or fewer occupants are to be transported. Our 33 mpg family car used otherwise. The 2 seat limitation never keeps anyone from going anywhere. Mileage: When I drive carefully, the Insight rewards me with 70+ mpg. When I drive otherwise, I average 60-65 mpg. Handling, Driveability: Not an out and out sports car, it does have a sporty, nimble feel. Fit and Finish: It's a Honda... Reliability: It's a Honda...

Good start, but not enough for me
By ECR2003 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

The Insight was a great concept from Honda, but unfortunatly dose not do anything for me. I hate the fact I can not get more then 1 passanger in my car. Or the fact in a minor crosswind my car feels like it is going to be blown off the road. Or the fact that when going up hill out of town, I feel it will never make the top. I can barly put three bags of groceries in back without filling the back up. And finaly no machanic (besides honda) will take a look at the think to even attempt a repair, so I am forced to go to honda to have anything replaced.