Used 2000 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.0L 3-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual - (47 reviews )

Sports Car?
By Mike

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

While this is my wife's car I do most of the driving. She drives for high mpg I drive to see how many people I can surprise by going faster than others. Needless to say our average mpg for 40000 miles is 48. I read in some of the reviews people calling it a good handling car. Not even close, it's just a point and shoot vehicle. Gears 1, 2 & 3 for acceleration (3rd is good for 80 mph and the batteries are being charged!) 4th & 5th are strictly cruising gears, no torque at all. I had to buy a fastener for the rear spat...$17.00 for a screw!! Must be made from gold.

Small outside, roomy and comfortable inside.

Chassis needs to be improved, small cars can handle well. Honda is keeping the car prices down, but they take you to the cleaner for parts. Has anyone had to buy the batteries for the motor assist yet. I can't find out a price, everyone gives me the run around.

Best car I have ever owned
By Givemlharry

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Insight al little over a year ago, used. It is fun to drive, has held up very well and averages about 62 MPG. I can't believe Honda is stopping production. Instead they should be advertising the Insight as the answer to the world's oil crisis. Anyone that has to commute long distances should own one.

The ability to see your gas usage in real time and adjust your driving accordingly.

Continue production of this great little car

For real: 70 MPG
By Dan

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought my little beastie with 36,000 on it, have put another 6000 on it. I've averaged, mixed city and highway, 70.6 MPG, with an occasional 80 MPG on the highway. Comfortable, reasonable performance, perfect car for my needs. It's STRANGE to go 700 plus miles on 10 gallons of gas! Plenty of luggage space, I routinely put my road or my mountain bike in the back, and have even put two bikes in (a bit of a trick, had to take one pedal off).

Looks, gas mileage

Better interior appointments, indoor/outdoor thermometer.

$11.00 per month on Gas
By sharon wilson

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I think I was one of the first to buy this car, I spent $11 per month on gas, one fill up. The only problem was people was always coming up to me asking about it. My top MPG was a 230 mile trip in which I got 93 miles per gallon. You won't get a speeding ticket with this car but you will save alot of money on gas, I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It is a great little car. I absolutely love it.

My favorite feature was how the car engine cut off when you stopped, and then started itself back up when you put it in first gear. I also love the feature where it shows when the battery is charging, and that you can ride in the lane on the highway with out having two passengers in the car.

I would like all the features in this car that you would find in a cadillac. Sun roof top, heated and programable seats, CD & cassette player, and I have notice the newer models do not get as much gas mileage as the first ones. Why not?

Brilliant Insight
By Brilliant Insight

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle certainly delivers as advertised. I do not care so much about fuel costs as environmental impact and with an average of 69 MPGs and the lowest emissions of any gasoline vehicle on the planet, I feel this vehicle treads lightly. There is plenty of storage space (I carry an entire soccer team's gear to matches weekly) and the acceleration is what is needs to be for highway driving. The handling is confortable and the gauges informative as you can adjust your driving habits to maximize the car's abilities to conserve. This is my 8th car, and by far my absolute favorite.

Efficiency, this car does not cater to the excesses of the automobile universe.

I think it could get smaller.

• SUV