Used 2000 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.0L 3-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual - (46 reviews )

Best car I have ever owned
By Givemlharry

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Insight al little over a year ago, used. It is fun to drive, has held up very well and averages about 62 MPG. I can't believe Honda is stopping production. Instead they should be advertising the Insight as the answer to the world's oil crisis. Anyone that has to commute long distances should own one.

Favorite Features

The ability to see your gas usage in real time and adjust your driving accordingly.

Suggested Improvements

Continue production of this great little car

For real: 70 MPG
By Dan

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought my little beastie with 36,000 on it, have put another 6000 on it. I've averaged, mixed city and highway, 70.6 MPG, with an occasional 80 MPG on the highway. Comfortable, reasonable performance, perfect car for my needs. It's STRANGE to go 700 plus miles on 10 gallons of gas! Plenty of luggage space, I routinely put my road or my mountain bike in the back, and have even put two bikes in (a bit of a trick, had to take one pedal off).

Favorite Features

Looks, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better interior appointments, indoor/outdoor thermometer.

$11.00 per month on Gas
By sharon wilson

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I think I was one of the first to buy this car, I spent $11 per month on gas, one fill up. The only problem was people was always coming up to me asking about it. My top MPG was a 230 mile trip in which I got 93 miles per gallon. You won't get a speeding ticket with this car but you will save alot of money on gas, I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It is a great little car. I absolutely love it.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature was how the car engine cut off when you stopped, and then started itself back up when you put it in first gear. I also love the feature where it shows when the battery is charging, and that you can ride in the lane on the highway with out having two passengers in the car.

Suggested Improvements

I would like all the features in this car that you would find in a cadillac. Sun roof top, heated and programable seats, CD & cassette player, and I have notice the newer models do not get as much gas mileage as the first ones. Why not?

Brilliant Insight
By Brilliant Insight

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle certainly delivers as advertised. I do not care so much about fuel costs as environmental impact and with an average of 69 MPGs and the lowest emissions of any gasoline vehicle on the planet, I feel this vehicle treads lightly. There is plenty of storage space (I carry an entire soccer team's gear to matches weekly) and the acceleration is what is needs to be for highway driving. The handling is confortable and the gauges informative as you can adjust your driving habits to maximize the car's abilities to conserve. This is my 8th car, and by far my absolute favorite.

Favorite Features

Efficiency, this car does not cater to the excesses of the automobile universe.

Suggested Improvements

I think it could get smaller.

Drive what you need!
By Firecracker

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I never considered the insight until a technology savvy person convinced me to test drive it. (I was not keen on the side skirts) Once I did I loved it and traded my Audi A6 in on the spot. Best decision I ever made! My lifestyle was very welcoming to a Honda Insight. I have been excited to drive it every day for the past 2.5 years. There is always a smug look on my face when I drive through the gas station past all the SUV owners and walk inside, just to get a soda! The thing is most people don't drive what they need. All seem to own a vehicle that could move a whole house if necessary. I say, buy the insight for the rest of the days you are not on the move to save $$$

Favorite Features

Ultra Low Emissions!!!, Auto shut off (it is always strange to hear what others are listening to on the radio), Aerodynamics, How small it is outside and the roominess inside, gas milage. Only wear maintenance needed so far at 135000 miles-no major repairs Keeps me from speeding.

Suggested Improvements

Mine seems to leak through the seams and down the seat belt holders so that the car smells musty after it rains. Also I cannot go through an automatic car wash and get my car dried because the plastic clip-on panels are worn and will blow right off Lacks power in rare instances