Used 2000 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback

Base 1.0L 3-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual - (47 reviews )

This is a fun car to drive
By allsmiles277

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. It may not carry but 365 pounds but it is fun to drive. The battery pack was the biggest drawback with this vehicle but time has made prices come down so I am not as concerned about the price of the a battery pack now. My IMA light has been on for the past 5 years and I am still driving it around. More and more people are knowledgeable about hybrid vehicle. I have watched many videos on the internet which show how to remove battery packs.

Favorite Features

Mileage is the big deal with this vehicle. I get 60 mpg on the highway and in the 50's around town. I love to drive this car on good smooth pavement. Driving on other than smooth pavement and this car will beat you to death.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest improvement would be to get the weight rating above 365 pounds. I got rid of the Bridgestone tires and had some Kumho tires installed and it rides so much better. I wish the battery pack was a little stronger but I am pretty happy with the car as it was sold. My radio and speakers are pretty bad and I will replace them soon. The spats over the back wheel need a better way to keep them on the car beside Dzus fasteners. They are not reliable. A bolt with lock nuts is a much better idea.

Extremely satisfied - fun and frugal
By San Francisco Driver

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

You know about the high mileage - 64MPG lifetime average in my case. What you may not know is that this is a zippy little car and quite fun to drive. While it has "just" 100 foot-pounds of torque, its aluminum frame and body weighs next to nothing so it blows away the Prius.

Favorite Features

Mileage, extremely good build quality, fun to drive.

Insight on my Insight
By DowneastDan

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

My Insight was the 1st one in New England and was a demo for the first yr. I bought it off the first real owner. The 165 tires were dangerous and crappy on a dry summer's day, so I went to 175 and have sum/win changes on wheels. I have added HHO generator which keeps the mpg at 60, but adds about 5-10 more horsepower, which saves my hybrid battery usage and keeps her charged for hills, etc. She handles very well and is a pleasure to drive. I do not drive her in the snow because at 1700 lbs I shutter to think of a sliding car hitting me. The 2 seats make it impossible to legally carry a child and not pract. for my golden. Honda put in a new hybrid batt. for $0 at 88K and will to 160K.

Favorite Features

The joy of knowing the carbon footprint is so small continues to bring joy in this age of despair. I am a quietly proud ambassador of the Insight to the public who still are surprised to hear of the 60 mpg feature.

Suggested Improvements

Fasteners of the spats are inadequate, causing me to lose one of the spats on the highway at the cost of $240 wholesale, plus it could have caused a major accident!

Love it!
By Tania

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love this car! We have averaged 62 mpg over the past 8 years, and it's been very reliable. The only downfall is dealing with Honda dealerships for purchase and maintenance. They are scam artists - outrageously expensive, not knowledgeable, and terrible customer service.

Favorite Features

MPG and style!

Suggested Improvements

None.

original owner, non smoker
By hnliii

2000 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Ima battery problem, replaced without any hassle. Rear ended in stop and go traffic first day of ownership (ouch), no damage. San Antonio to Las Vegas, 75 mpg, around town 60-65 mpg. Hate to sell it, no choice - lost a leg. Still love the car, miss driving it actually. Was fun fun fun. I liked keeping my money in my pocket!

Favorite Features

going forever on a tank of gas. driving on gas with last months price.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system if desired. MIMA adaption as this is a low mileage car. (as in 99mpgdotcom). I love that idea.