2000 Honda Insight Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2000 Insight Consumer Reviews

Base 1.0L 3-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual - (46 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Extremely satisfied - fun and frugal
By San Francisco Driver

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

You know about the high mileage - 64MPG lifetime average in my case. What you may not know is that this is a zippy little car and quite fun to drive. While it has "just" 100 foot-pounds of torque, its aluminum frame and body weighs next to nothing so it blows away the Prius.

Favorite Features

Mileage, extremely good build quality, fun to drive.

Insight on my Insight
By DowneastDan

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

My Insight was the 1st one in New England and was a demo for the first yr. I bought it off the first real owner. The 165 tires were dangerous and crappy on a dry summer's day, so I went to 175 and have sum/win changes on wheels. I have added HHO generator which keeps the mpg at 60, but adds about 5-10 more horsepower, which saves my hybrid battery usage and keeps her charged for hills, etc. She handles very well and is a pleasure to drive. I do not drive her in the snow because at 1700 lbs I shutter to think of a sliding car hitting me. The 2 seats make it impossible to legally carry a child and not pract. for my golden. Honda put in a new hybrid batt. for $0 at 88K and will to 160K.

Favorite Features

The joy of knowing the carbon footprint is so small continues to bring joy in this age of despair. I am a quietly proud ambassador of the Insight to the public who still are surprised to hear of the 60 mpg feature.

Suggested Improvements

Fasteners of the spats are inadequate, causing me to lose one of the spats on the highway at the cost of $240 wholesale, plus it could have caused a major accident!

Love it!
By Tania

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

I love this car! We have averaged 62 mpg over the past 8 years, and it's been very reliable. The only downfall is dealing with Honda dealerships for purchase and maintenance. They are scam artists - outrageously expensive, not knowledgeable, and terrible customer service.

Favorite Features

MPG and style!

Suggested Improvements

None.

original owner, non smoker
By hnliii

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

Ima battery problem, replaced without any hassle. Rear ended in stop and go traffic first day of ownership (ouch), no damage. San Antonio to Las Vegas, 75 mpg, around town 60-65 mpg. Hate to sell it, no choice - lost a leg. Still love the car, miss driving it actually. Was fun fun fun. I liked keeping my money in my pocket!

Favorite Features

going forever on a tank of gas. driving on gas with last months price.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system if desired. MIMA adaption as this is a low mileage car. (as in 99mpgdotcom). I love that idea.

Pleasurable Motoring
By Levster

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

Purchased the Insight in 2004 with slight damage and 32,000 miles from a private seller. After repairs, enjoy driving and average 60 MPG with no operational or repair problems. I love driving this car and passing the gas pumps. Originally used hi-test, then found that it ran just fine on regular. Drove to Florida & back from NH with no problems and averaged 61 MPH. Have replaced brake pads & tires. Friends wonder why I love this car after driving BMW's for 15 years...let them wonder !!!!!

Favorite Features

A wonderful design and excellent electronic displays!! It's fun trying to maximize MPG's on trips and answering peoples questions on styling and design. Manual transmission is smooth and shifting is effortless. Coasting to a stop is effortless. I am baffled that this car is no longer made.

Suggested Improvements

Comfortable holds two adults with plenty of room. If we need a four seater, we take the other car. The radio and speakers are only average, but I use a CD player through the radio, which provides good sound and flexibility. Only one manufacturer (Bridgestone) makes tires that will fit.

The 100 mile per gallon car is here
By atlaw4u

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

As you probably know Honda did not make many Insights so I was unable to locate one locally and had to purchase one from another state and shipped home. The car has performed as expected which means giving up a few creature comforts such as ride quality and a little more road noise and gaining incredible mileage. If you drive this car like any other you can easily obtain the EPA estimates of 60 mpg. However, applying the hypermiling techniques you can easily achieve 80, 90 and yes, 100 MPG. I am averaging over 800 miles between fill ups of my 10 gallon gas tank. For ultimate MPG you need the 5 speed because the manual achieves better mileage than the auto due to operation of lean burn.

Favorite Features

The styling. It still looks great after almost 10 years. The mileage is incredible. The only way to get better mileage in an automobile would be a plug-in 2 mode hybrid or pure electric vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The form & function of the Insight is designed as required to obtain incredible mileage. The only improvements I would personally make would be a center arm rest and to place the emergency brake between the driver door and driver's seat to allow for better center storage & cup holders.

Best car in the world
By Melius Cordovba

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

Without a doubt, my Honda Insight is without equal. I get over 70mpg and all I do is put premium gas and change the oil. No problems at over 100k miles. Simply the best car.

Favorite Features

70+mpg

Suggested Improvements

There can be no improvements... this car is perfect.

2000 Honda Insight
By atlaw4u

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

I purchased a used 2000 Insight after researching this car for months on several forums inclduing insightcentral.net and I love it. It is excellent at its intended purpose- incredible MPG. I would also consider it a driver's car. If you drive correctly you will be rewarded but drive wrong and you will be punished. My mileage varies from 70mpg to 90+mpg but a few users have only seen 45+mpg. This car is also a compromise. You give up many things for that ultimate MPG. Due to its design, there is more road noise and the suspension leaves a little to be desired among others. But compromise in a few areas and you will be driving and enjoying one of the greenest cars on the planet.

Favorite Features

1) Environmental impact 2) Mileage 3) Driver feedback 4) Styling 4)

Suggested Improvements

1) Arm rest 2) Sun roof option 3) Electric only propulsion option 4) Plug in option

#444
By michael

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

I bought on of the first insights produced. I purchased because of its unique feature, but now because of high gas prices it is a very practical. I drive it to work and city over 5O miles each way on a regular basis. It handles well in all types of road conditions. My lifetime mileage is 57.6 mpg. My best trip mileage is 76+ miles per gallon with air conditioning on. I like the way it accelerates in traffic and zips along on the highway at 70 miles per our. I have not had one problem with the car. The only thing I have done is replaced the tires and the car battery(not the battery pack), and changed the oil on a regular basis. This Honda product is awesome.

Favorite Features

Handling. Gas Mileage Style Exterior Acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Interior Fabric on Seats. Reduce Road Noise

Sports Car?
By Mike

2000 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback

While this is my wife's car I do most of the driving. She drives for high mpg I drive to see how many people I can surprise by going faster than others. Needless to say our average mpg for 40000 miles is 48. I read in some of the reviews people calling it a good handling car. Not even close, it's just a point and shoot vehicle. Gears 1, 2 & 3 for acceleration (3rd is good for 80 mph and the batteries are being charged!) 4th & 5th are strictly cruising gears, no torque at all. I had to buy a fastener for the rear spat...$17.00 for a screw!! Must be made from gold.

Favorite Features

Small outside, roomy and comfortable inside.

Suggested Improvements

Chassis needs to be improved, small cars can handle well. Honda is keeping the car prices down, but they take you to the cleaner for parts. Has anyone had to buy the batteries for the motor assist yet. I can't find out a price, everyone gives me the run around.