Used 2013 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Second review for my Labrador Retriever's car
By My Labrador Retriever's Car

2013 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I took a huge loss on this car in order to get rid of it because Honda currently has no means to fix it. Honda sent the recall letter in March stating the drivers air-bag inflator could fail and kill the driver. They refused timely rental for me at the dealer and at Honda Corp. because I transport dogs and the rental will get messy. By August, I had an unnamed Honda Corp case manager in the works but no real action taken. It was my choice, but enough is enough and I gave up waiting for Honda to act and disposed of the 2013 Honda Fit at about 6 month into this quandary. I was open and honest with both the local dealer and the Honda recall hotline. I let them know in mid-August that I was done waiting and a close call with a yellow Cadillac is why I am tired of the unsafe situation and lack of action to resolve my car issue. In general, it appears they are flooded with calls and lack manpower to deal with people with unique situations like me. To wrap things up, yes, it was a good affordable dog hauler but it is gone now because Honda failed to provide any sort of accommodation until it can be made safe to drive again. If Honda thought that I was going to park my only insured dog hauler vehicle for what has already been almost 6 months and just wait until some day when they might have a way to fix it and make it safe once again, they were mistaken. It is very wrong that Honda would send me a letter stating that the car is unsafe to drive, yet have no remedy for me after already almost 6 months. I'll never own another Honda.

Nothing impressive, but it gets the job done.
By John

2013 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle for the cargo space and for its bare bones nature. I bought a Honda for their "legendary" quality in the small car market. Maintenance for this vehicle has only entailed routine oil changes and 1 set of tires at this point, but this vehicle is barely broken in at 29,000 miles. Should be noted, another reviewer commented on having to replace the A/C in their Fit before 30,000 miles. I am currently replacing my A/C compressor in my '11 Civic with 59,000. This could become a theme with Honda as this is far to early to be replacing these parts.

My main problem with this vehicle is fuel economy. I expect 35 - 43 mpg in a small vehicle like this. When SUV's are starting to get over 30 mpg, a small vehicle like this should be pushing 40 mpg, but it doesn't. I use only ethanol free fuel, as there is a slightly better bump in fuel economy, but I still won't get better then 34 to 36 mpg on my daily commute (mostly highway at 60 MPH). I should note that this is while driving like a grandpa and utilizing as much drafting and coasting as possible. On long drives (upwards of 2 hrs) I have obtained 42.1 mpg while traveling between 55 and 60. This car will drink fuel at speeds exceeding 65 mph. MPG drops drastically during the winter, I'm sure it is due to the quality of fuel and the cold temps in NY, but I tend to average 29 to 32 mpg.

Acceleration is just plain poor. Don't expect to pass a slower vehicle on a 1 lane road at 55 mph, unless, of course, you have a mile to do it. I haven't driven the newer 130 hp Fit (2016), but I have to imagine that the additional 13hp makes a huge difference.

HONDA PAINT SUCKS!! I have a 2011 Civic and 2013 Fit. The civic is color blk and the front of it looks sand blasted. The Fit (red) has stood up better, but I have made it my mission to protect it. I will leave large gaps between me and the car in front. Still, with these vehicles, the paint chips every time a small object hits it. I have read countless reviews where people complain about this. BEWARE: HONDA PAINT

Greatest feature(s) is the average fuel economy display. I still calculate manually with each fill up, but it is nice to have an idea of how your doing. It has caused me to drive much slower in a continuing effort to beat my "high score". I also like the windows as you have almost zero blind spots. I call this vehicle the fish bowl because you have more window than car.

Nothing impressive about this vehicle. I had the arm rest installed in mine and switched out all the lights, except headlights, for cree LED lights solely because the out dated incandescent draws too much power and lacks the brightness. The heater during the winter will take 10 minutes to warm up, so I am usually close to reaching my destination before I have substantial heat.

I installed a trailer hitch on mine and pull a small 4' x 8' trailer from time to time to the hardware store. This makes the vehicle incredibly more useful.

Some reviewers have commented about sway while operating in windy conditions. This vehicle will travel wherever the wind blows. It is a constant fight to keep it straight, which should be obvious due to the bubble design and light weight.

Snow handling is great. I drive in NY state's snow belt and I'm often fighting icy/snowy roads. The stock, narrow, wheel rims give you excellent traction. I haven't needed snow tires as an all season has worked just fine up to this point. One down side is your road clearance. I often bottom out on snowy roads and always risk the possibility of getting stuck.

Car seats are difficulty to get in the vehicle and deal with, but this tends to be the case with all compacts and sub compact cars.

Not impressed
By Megan M

2013 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car because of the advertised gas mileage and we wanted a reliable family vehicle. We chose Honda because they are a reliable company and Honda resale value holds up really well. Overall the car is a great point A to point B car. We bought our car brand new with 15 miles on it. It drives smooth and has a surprising get up and go. It's also idles incredibly quiet. When I first got the car the only way I knew it was on, was by looking at the ignition! The most I've ever spent on a full tank of gas has been $25. It's usually only about $10 for 3/4 tank. My husband is a mechanic and does the oil changes at his shop so I'm not sure exactly how expensive maintenance fees are. We have not had to make any mechanical repairs at all. The car has 30k miles on it and it still runs really well.

However there are some major flaws in the design. Just 1 year after our purchase we realized there were chips all over the hood and front side of the paint. So we repainted it. But again there are more chinks. It doesn't matter how closely I follow someone, the paint is just poor quality. Also, you can't hit even the smallest pothole or you will have to replace a rim. My rims are dented all the way around. The stock tires were so poor that they only lasted 6 months before being replaced. And even our replacement tires are horrible on any form of precipitation including rain. I also have a young son so I have a car seat in the backseat. I have to move the front passenger seat all the way up to allow him in and out of the car. So it makes having extra passengers almost impossible because whoever sits up front has to have an up close and personal relationship with the dash board. Also, the backseat has headrests that fold all the way down over the seat. It's incredibly uncomfortable for anyone sitting in the back seat without pulling it all the way up. And if they leave the headrest up it causes a major blind spot for the driver out of the back window. In the winter don't even try to use just the heat setting. Your windows will fog in 2 minutes. You have to use the defrost setting only for cold weather. Which is fine except when you're behind a stinky truck or you want to recycle your air instead of inhaling fumes. The cup holders up front are impossible if you have a cup bigger than a 12 oz. You have to pull your cup carefully out at an angle to avoid crushing or spilling your drink. The option of using your ipod through the second glove box is wonderful but if you have more than 100 artists on your ipod you're going to spend 10 min scrolling through artists until you find the one you want. It doesn't allow for playing by genre and it doesn't read all of your playlists. Even the max volume is comparatively low. We also had to replace our wiper blades within the first year because they were so poor.

Overall this is a good car. But I don't recommend it as a family car. This is perfect for someone to drive to and from work only. It's great for long distance drives. Maintenance oil changes don't happen as frequently as they do with other cars. Gas cost is incredibly low. But if you're looking for comfort look elsewhere.

I wanted to like this car
By Nicole

2013 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did extensive research on the Honda Fit and test drove the 2016, 2015 and 2013 models before purchasing a 2013 Honda Fit Sport. At 5'11.5, I knew a small car didn't appear to fit my frame, but as a long time driver of other subcompact cars I wasn't worried. After 3 weeks of driving, I developed moderate back pain. It doesn't help that the car handles poorly and gets blown around by the wind. I seriously regret buying this car and am planning to loss several thousand dollars to sale my car and get another car. The gas mileage is good, but my health and comfort is not worth.

My Labrador Retriever owns this car!
By Mr. Doggy

2013 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car (basically a stripped model w/o any accessories, 5-speed) for economy, fuel mileage and convenience to haul my dog around. I did purchase aftermarket quality seat covers and then a whole bunch of factory Honda accessories via the internet and installed them myself. The list includes about everything available, even factory door molding and the hard-to-find bug deflector. Still need to install the center console that Honda says don't fit. Well, it does but Honda supposedly says it puts your arm at less than optimum position, so it doesn't. I have installed one for a friend, now need to buy one myself. The hardest option is the Honda fog lights, got to remove the clip and cut the holes, but very nice. Also quickly took off the crummy factory tires and put on some slightly larger 195/70/15's (if I remember correctly the size) on the factory steel wheels. I was very careful making the tire switch and eliminated many due to the weight. Next time, I'll go with the factory 15 size in Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3. My mileage may have took a slight hit, but the handling and road feel makes the change worth it.
Anyway, the dog loves it. He prefers the rear seats for cornering support. If you want to see a huge open area fit for a camp-out, try taking out the rear seats. Just a few bolts and a few minutes is all it takes. Wow, if I had a horse, think he could ride in there with the seats out.
I have a M/T car and drive it pretty hard. The performance is acceptable and really pretty good when the car is not loaded down. Start adding people and cargo and the performance quickly drops, but never to unsafe levels of speed. I really think the factory tires handled poorly. The new ones make a big difference. The steering seemed scary quick when I bought the car - no play, short wheel base car at 80 mph reacted too quickly for my liking. A bit of getting used to it and the tire change has turned my car into a freeway eater that simply drives like a sports car. Love it. After owning it for about 2 years now (purchased it new) I still really like it but if I could afford it, I might trade it for a new Honda Odyssey. If I factor in the cost difference, the Fit stays. I do my own maintenance and the oil changes are easy if your arm can reach things. Jacking points, especially the forward / center location does require a special low profile floor jack in order to clear the undercarriage. The engine layout and clean routing of things is the best I have ever seen in any car of any age. Nothing negative to say about the car except I would definitely prefer and pay more for read disk brakes instead of the drums.