Used 2013 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2013 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Not impressed
By Megan M

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car because of the advertised gas mileage and we wanted a reliable family vehicle. We chose Honda because they are a reliable company and Honda resale value holds up really well. Overall the car is a great point A to point B car. We bought our car brand new with 15 miles on it. It drives smooth and has a surprising get up and go. It's also idles incredibly quiet. When I first got the car the only way I knew it was on, was by looking at the ignition! The most I've ever spent on a full tank of gas has been $25. It's usually only about $10 for 3/4 tank. My husband is a mechanic and does the oil changes at his shop so I'm not sure exactly how expensive maintenance fees are. We have not had to make any mechanical repairs at all. The car has 30k miles on it and it still runs really well.

However there are some major flaws in the design. Just 1 year after our purchase we realized there were chips all over the hood and front side of the paint. So we repainted it. But again there are more chinks. It doesn't matter how closely I follow someone, the paint is just poor quality. Also, you can't hit even the smallest pothole or you will have to replace a rim. My rims are dented all the way around. The stock tires were so poor that they only lasted 6 months before being replaced. And even our replacement tires are horrible on any form of precipitation including rain. I also have a young son so I have a car seat in the backseat. I have to move the front passenger seat all the way up to allow him in and out of the car. So it makes having extra passengers almost impossible because whoever sits up front has to have an up close and personal relationship with the dash board. Also, the backseat has headrests that fold all the way down over the seat. It's incredibly uncomfortable for anyone sitting in the back seat without pulling it all the way up. And if they leave the headrest up it causes a major blind spot for the driver out of the back window. In the winter don't even try to use just the heat setting. Your windows will fog in 2 minutes. You have to use the defrost setting only for cold weather. Which is fine except when you're behind a stinky truck or you want to recycle your air instead of inhaling fumes. The cup holders up front are impossible if you have a cup bigger than a 12 oz. You have to pull your cup carefully out at an angle to avoid crushing or spilling your drink. The option of using your ipod through the second glove box is wonderful but if you have more than 100 artists on your ipod you're going to spend 10 min scrolling through artists until you find the one you want. It doesn't allow for playing by genre and it doesn't read all of your playlists. Even the max volume is comparatively low. We also had to replace our wiper blades within the first year because they were so poor.

Overall this is a good car. But I don't recommend it as a family car. This is perfect for someone to drive to and from work only. It's great for long distance drives. Maintenance oil changes don't happen as frequently as they do with other cars. Gas cost is incredibly low. But if you're looking for comfort look elsewhere.

I wanted to like this car
By Nicole

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did extensive research on the Honda Fit and test drove the 2016, 2015 and 2013 models before purchasing a 2013 Honda Fit Sport. At 5'11.5, I knew a small car didn't appear to fit my frame, but as a long time driver of other subcompact cars I wasn't worried. After 3 weeks of driving, I developed moderate back pain. It doesn't help that the car handles poorly and gets blown around by the wind. I seriously regret buying this car and am planning to loss several thousand dollars to sale my car and get another car. The gas mileage is good, but my health and comfort is not worth.

My Labrador Retriever owns this car!
By Mr. Doggy

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car (basically a stripped model w/o any accessories, 5-speed) for economy, fuel mileage and convenience to haul my dog around. I did purchase aftermarket quality seat covers and then a whole bunch of factory Honda accessories via the internet and installed them myself. The list includes about everything available, even factory door molding and the hard-to-find bug deflector. Still need to install the center console that Honda says don't fit. Well, it does but Honda supposedly says it puts your arm at less than optimum position, so it doesn't. I have installed one for a friend, now need to buy one myself. The hardest option is the Honda fog lights, got to remove the clip and cut the holes, but very nice. Also quickly took off the crummy factory tires and put on some slightly larger 195/70/15's (if I remember correctly the size) on the factory steel wheels. I was very careful making the tire switch and eliminated many due to the weight. Next time, I'll go with the factory 15 size in Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3. My mileage may have took a slight hit, but the handling and road feel makes the change worth it.
Anyway, the dog loves it. He prefers the rear seats for cornering support. If you want to see a huge open area fit for a camp-out, try taking out the rear seats. Just a few bolts and a few minutes is all it takes. Wow, if I had a horse, think he could ride in there with the seats out.
I have a M/T car and drive it pretty hard. The performance is acceptable and really pretty good when the car is not loaded down. Start adding people and cargo and the performance quickly drops, but never to unsafe levels of speed. I really think the factory tires handled poorly. The new ones make a big difference. The steering seemed scary quick when I bought the car - no play, short wheel base car at 80 mph reacted too quickly for my liking. A bit of getting used to it and the tire change has turned my car into a freeway eater that simply drives like a sports car. Love it. After owning it for about 2 years now (purchased it new) I still really like it but if I could afford it, I might trade it for a new Honda Odyssey. If I factor in the cost difference, the Fit stays. I do my own maintenance and the oil changes are easy if your arm can reach things. Jacking points, especially the forward / center location does require a special low profile floor jack in order to clear the undercarriage. The engine layout and clean routing of things is the best I have ever seen in any car of any age. Nothing negative to say about the car except I would definitely prefer and pay more for read disk brakes instead of the drums.

Not a highway car
By DEEZ

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

When I first bought this car I took it back to the dealer because I thought the steering had a flaw. It was just the wind. It's very light and really gets pushed around on the road. We took it from Ohio to Virginia this summer and what a terrible trip. It's just not built to drive over 55. No acceleration at all. Also the headlights are very dim. Hate the van-like mirrors in the front - they just cause a blind spot. Also, there is a terrible smell in the ventilation system which is common with these Fits. Really I would not buy this car again.

The storage is great and MPG is better than advertised.

I haven't had any mechanical issues. We bought it for my wife to learn to drive. I wouldn't suggest this as a first car.

Great little car, but expense ridiculous repairs
By Hilaire Humphrey

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

We have two Honda Fits. The design is really great, as is the initial price. But...and it is a big BUT...recently one of the cars a/c completely stopped working. In this particular car, Honda chose to place the a/c unit within the dashboard. The a/c needs to be fixed. The car is no longer under warranty, but is only 2 years old and has been cared for well. The cost of fixing the a/c - $750! Why? Because the have to completely take apart the dashboard requiring several hours of labor. I am not the first. This is a serious design flaw. Unlike many cars, if you get a hot sunny day, you HAVE to run the a/c or the car will be unbearable so much so that it is hard to breathe because the very large dashboard gets so very incredibly hot.

The other issue I am having in my other Fit is my dashboard is no longer level. What did the service staff tell me? It would take hours to fix and would be fairly expensive. If it is not creating a problem with the car the warranty is irrelevant for this issue as it is just cosmetic.

There are other great small cars. Until Honda changes the a/c design, I advise people to buy a different small car. I will not buy a Fit again.