Used 2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Great car!
By kinggeorgeiii

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is really superb. I've owned and driven Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Chevrolets, Chryslers, and Fords over the last decade. (Additionally, before I bought this car, I rented and test drove an Elantra, a Corolla, and a Yaris for a combined month.) Some were better than others, but none managed to get the whole package right like this Honda Fit. It's a wonderfully capable car, for hauling people. The folding seats will let you fit all sorts of stuff, and because it's a car instead of an SUV, getting heavy items into the back is a breeze. This is an economy car, which means the price is cheap, and it's thrifty with gas, too. I'm getting mid-30s, even with "spirited" driving.

The manual transmission makes the car come alive, and I highly recommend it. I'd never driven a stick before, but I learned in 10 minutes at the dealer. I bought the base, and it already comes with everything a "loaded" car 10 years ago had. Power locks/windows/brakes/steering, cruise, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, CD player, aux inputs, and USB/iPod hookup on the stereo, etc. It's also got side airbags, active head restraints, etc. so it's quite a safe car, too. Basically, this is all the car that 90% of people probably would ever need. It doesn't feel cheap, and it doesn't drive or ride cheaply, either. Furthermore, it's got Honda reliability and holds its value very well.

It's hard to think of anything, honestly. Maybe the air conditioner could be a little stronger. I bought a black Fit, and I live in the warm South, and haven't been miserable, but with all the glass and all the interior volume, it can take a bit for the AC to really make a dent. The front seats are fine for me, but I'm 5'10". I think a 6' driver might feel a bit cramped. A turbocharger would be great ;) -Although, I must admit, it's not necessary at all. I manage to handily accelerate well in excess of the speed limit after almost every stoplight.

Disappointing
By azdriver3

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Fit for about 6 months, 6,000 miles. I'm not impressed. I drive this car like an old grandma, slow acceleration, early deceleration, maximizing coasting and momentum.. and I don't even come close to the advertised mileage in town. I get maybe 22-24 in town, compared to the 27 it's supposed to get. I got better city mileage in my last car, which was 600 lbs heavier with a much bigger engine and almost 300hp, and I drove that car like I stole it. And on that note, this car is slow. Anemically slow. It gets me from A to B, but I have to make sure I have looots of room before I pull out into traffic.

One positive feature: This car is small! My favorite thing about it is the ability to snag tiny parking spots that other people in bigger cars had to pass by. Also, poop tons of cargo space! There's an amazing amount of room inside this tiny car. Seats are comfortable for long drives. Recently drove 800+ miles in one shot and had no back or butt fatigue. I bet this car would be fun on long, winding roads that require turning but little acceleration/braking. Too bad I don't have any of those around here.

To be improved: -Weak stereo, with an awful iPod interface -Terrible brakes, with poor stopping power and no finesse -Interior has a nasty, chemical smell -Needs MORE POWER. I swear this would get better mileage if it had a little more power. 150hp would do nicely. -Really wide A-pillars make for awkward visibility in turns; could be adjusted. -Transmission shifts roughly from 1st to 2nd at slow speeds.

Fun to drive and economical
By oldautoman

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is the first small car I've owned in many years. I would describe almost all of my driving as suburban and seldom on the highways. The Fit does fit my needs almost perfictly. It's OK on the highway and it does get its best mpg on the highway but around town it's just a delight to drive. I have 2300 miles on the car. My calculated mpg for this distance is 30.6. I feel that is fine for a car that is mostly in town. It is higher when on the road.

It's quite comfortable. The handling, brakes and steering all are very good. While I wont often be hauling lots of stuff, the folding seats are a great design when you need it. Overall I think the interior and exterior designs are very good. I just look forward to driving this car!

I'd like to have a locking glove box and a gas filler door that latches inside the car. These are small things. I think the highway performance would be improved if the Honda engineers would replace the port injection with direct injection on the engine. Hyundai and Kia use that on their small engines. I'm happy with my Fit. I intend to keep it for quite a few years. I'd be delighted if Honda would make a "Fit+" with just a little more power for highway speeds. I'd buy that.

FALSE ADVERTISING! MPG SCAM
By 808fit

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car in hawaii. I got it for 20,500 otd price. It is a sport auto. I drove it on full tank from the dealership and as of now only averaging 19mpg. I drive only in the city to work which is about a mile from where i live. I understand it is a lot of stop and go to work, but i dont even use air con, and I should be getting at least close to the mpg that it state in the fact sheet. I havent called honda yet cuz i already know they will say it is still new and blah blah blah, you need to break it in or what not, but still this is horrible. Another problem is the transmission always feels it is down shifting too fast when I am coming to a stop.

Small car that lives large
By cantgetaname

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

The Honda Fit is truly a great city car being small on the outside but large on the inside. Unless you're a moving company the Fit should be able to handle your day to day hauling needs. I've had the Fit for a month averaging about 31mpg. If your commute is on the freeway you can easily do better. Where the Fit lacks in acceleration it makes up for with handling. You can have a lot of fun with this car in the curves. I also considered the Mazda 3 and Chevy Sonic. Both offered more features than the Fit. I thought the Mazda had more road noise and the Sonics I looked at already had rattles. If it weren't for those rattles I'd be in a Sonic.

The versatility of this car's interior reigns supreme. The back seat is really impressive. There is plenty of room for two normal sized humans. Fold the seats flat and it's like having a mini, minivan. Flip the bottoms up and place tall things on the floor. The cup holders that are on either side of the dashboard are great. Being deep they keep things stable so I don't worry about what's placed in them. The gauges are easy to read. I like the instant MPG readout always being visible regardless of mode. The stereo is mounted high which makes it easy to access. The buttons are huge so you'll never miss. The screen is large and wide so the data is easily read. Sound is good but not stellar.

This may sound petty but my largest gripe about this car is its lack of Bluetooth unless you go Navi. With so much legislation this is a must have. The stock head unit already has the capability, Canada gets it and the owners manual tells how to use it. I call foul Honda. Stop trying to upsell me. Add height adjustment for the driver's seat. Wipers don't offer variable delay.