Used 2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Nice car, pricey, terrible gas millage for the segment.
By famercado

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is a good and reliable car, with lots of security features, comfortable for its size, looks very good inside and outside (especially steering wheel and rims), reliable and well assembled. I use it to commute from my home to the metro station, and for that purpose is fantastic. On the weekends we use my wifeís car which is more spacious. The gas millage is horrible for a compact car and considering the price and the trim (sport) it is way under equipped. It is very pricey compared to other brandís similar cars.

Favorite Features

Itís a Honda! Reliability and resell value of Toyotas and Hondas are undeniable. It's made in Japan. Looks nice from outside. The dashboard is very nice. The steering wheel is very good looking and sporty. The breaks are fantastic, even though the rear ones are just drums. Security systems (abs, stability, airbags) seem to be very good. Being 6Ē2í tall I fit in the Fit. The paddle shifters are something to brag about with your friends. The rims are really good looking. The visibility is great. Audio system and IPod capability are great.

Suggested Improvements

Gas millage is terrible, larger cars do much better. Iím easy on the gas and get 28.59 MPG. You go into a highway and you can hear the hamsters in the hood working the life out of their bodies spinning their wheels but the car hardly moves. You need to hit the gas hard to move like a normal car and then get the MPG of a SUV. The automatic transmission shifts are very poorly synchronized. The engine and the interior are noisy. It doesnít display the outside temperature, have Bluetooth, automatic headlights or lumbar support. No button to release the 5th door (trunk) on key. The back windshield wiper and water sprinklers are not very good. No ignition button, no light for the ignition.

2nd Fit purchased new
By heffelz8

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The wife and myself owned a 2008 Fit while living abroad in Europe. When we moved back to the States, we purchased another Fit. For a compact car, Honda really managed to cram a whole lot into this vehicle without making it seem over-done. Fit and finish is quite nice, along with the overall design. This car works, it's practical, very lively to drive (with the stick) and very fuel efficient 36 highway and 33 in town. I am 6'6" 210 lbs and fit very very well in this car. My knees don't hit anything on the way in or out. Loading height is great whether you're 5'2, like my wife, or my size. I would buy a 3rd fit if I ever felt so inclined to get another family member in one.

Favorite Features

Practical space, fold down (magic) seat, leg room, fuel efficiency (34.7 combined), Large windows, great sight angles, ease of operation.

Suggested Improvements

Seat height adjuster. It's just a we-bit short for my wife. That's it.

MPG Disappointment
By livinglarge2

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Honda Fit since the middle of July 12. I have put 6,000 miles on my car..mostly highway miles. I'm wondering if the manufacturer misrepresented the MPG advertised. I drive the car to work...which is mixed highway and city with 20mpg if I'm lucky. I have driven this car on long trips and can't seem to get the MPG over 32. This is with speeds below 60mph. I'm wondering if Honda came up with their MPG figures based on an anorexic driving this car without as much as a 5lb purse on board. I got 37 MPG on the way home from the dealership, but haven't seen it since. Perhaps the dealer used Premium gas? I can't duplicate the mileage. I should have bought the PRIUS.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest to Honda that they put in a console or at least an arm rest for the driver's seat. A little more power would have made the drive a lot more fun.

No Lagin Wagon
By arbolero

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very impressed. I wouldn't race anybody for pinks with this car, but it's still very lively when I need it to accelerate and responsive when I need it to handle. I drive treacherous, windy, mountain roads. Honda has made a proven winner and, remarkably, it remains unseated by any of the market's other small cars which are trying so hard, but not quite measuring up. I average 36 to 39 mpg on a tank. The seats are supportive and comfortable enough for 5 hours continuous driving. The drivers seat is spacious enough for a 6'1" driver. A 6'8" friend of mine was not able to sit comfortably in the driver's seat.

Favorite Features

Exterior design. Looks like the helmet of one of the Halo characters from the back. Fuel economy. I don't understand how I still manage to pull off 36ish with all the time I have my foot in it. Funtionality. Yep, nothing I can say here that has not been said already. Handling. She's so light and nimble. The gearbox is super smooth and assuring. Never missed any shifts yet. Seats. Plenty of padding for my boney butt. And snug and supportive for the aggressive driving mode. Also, the material is breathable, adding to the driver's comfort. Price. All this for under twenty. I feel like such a smart shopper. I could have splurged for more, but this is my first new car.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to have the nav system/bluetooth, but it didn't come on my manual transmission sport. The editor's reviews suggest the manual tranny is more enjoyable to drive. If only Honda could make more of them available. This goes for all car manufacturers. It was tough shopping when there weren't manuals to test drive. More horsepower. But I will always want more horsepower. The get-up is sufficient. Insanely excessive is better.

A great car
By wolf12373

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Honda somehow managed to squeeze an incredible amount of space inside this car. With the two ďmagic seatsĒ in the back folded down it is possible to put almost anything in. The Fitís 4- cylinder engine is more than adequate for everyday driving. I found the Fit to be extremely nimble as well. But the icing on the cake is the fuel efficiency. This car is rated 33/37, but I have been easily been able to average 40+ MPG.The Fit does not provide breakneck speed, exquisite luxury, or loads of extra features. On the other hand, it does have a great deal of one thing: Practicality. It is a no frills machine for moving people and stuff in a fun, comfortable manner.

Favorite Features

the folding back seats,paddle shifters,hatchback door

Suggested Improvements

a 6th gear would have been nice for driving at higher speeds