Used 2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

It goes and goes and goes
By gleggley

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in August of 2012. I am a courier and drive over 1000 miles a week. As of today, 4/5/15, I have about 139,000 miles on my Fit. I have always done the recommended service and have only had one issue since purchasing this car. A front wheel bearing needed replacing a few months ago. I average 30-35 miles a gallon in mixed driving. Power is adequate for what I do. This is the first Honda I've ever owned. The Fit has an amazing capacity to haul things. I am consistently amazed at how much "stuff" fits in the car.

Every inch is utilized in and out of the car. Turning radius is excellent. Love the iPod integrating with the stereo.

Front pillars block the view somewhat. I am used to it now, but it took a bit before I felt comfortable.

Great hatchback, perfect car
By fitnc

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 2 years now. It's best habit is the city and the burbs. I use mine for work and it's great for piling full of equipment and also the occasional creature that needs a ride. On the weekends it can haul camping gear or stuff from home depot. It's not a -powerful- car, but the engine is capable if you gear it properly, the engine needs to kept in it's proper power band, the paddles help do that. It is a very lively driving experience, but remember to gear down to 4/3 to have enough torque so you don't get stuck, ex merging/passing, etc. The hatch is the perfect height to keep me dry when rooting through the cargo area, I'm 5-11 and I fit.

Magic seats, paddle shifters, hatch rain protection, glove boxes, cup holders. The dashboard is a vast plateau, I use it occasionally to dry wet clothes from camping, biking, etc. This car is cavernous compared to the 93 nissan altima it replaced, plus it leaves an extra foot of space in my garage, so I can close the garage door with a bike rack attached, but not with the bike on. Not a favorite feature really, but this car has 10 windows!!

I wish the power outlet stayed energized so my phone can charge without leaving the key in the acc position. Lighten up the interior, everything is black, black floor mats always look dirty. Tracking on the highway is iffy, it's very responsive in the city but this make the car a bit nervous at highway speeds. Give it the SI engine!!!!! Add a center console with armrest, this is the first thing I bought from college hills honda, a center storage with padded/pivoting armrest. Windshield wiper intervals are weird, there need to be more intervals. The fog lights are not strong enough, 1 of them broke within 6 months from road debris. Sun visors don't provide enough coverage.

The perfect small car
By tommyone1

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Flawless reliability 3 years in. Not sure why some people get disappointing MPG. Maybe they drive like a maniac, have upgraded to wide tires, and carry a lot of weight... I get an avg of 39 MPG from this awesome car! The manual trany shifting and the clutch are both super light and easy and smooth. But I'd prefer a lower ratio for 5th gear so not to waste gas when going over 70 (and to quiet the engine) The interior loudness is less than in previous years. The cargo space is incredible, including under the rear seats. The gas tank being under the front seat means you can't adjust height, but I'm now happier sitting higher than I used to--better visibility, except the wide front left pillar

easy shifting cargo room great MPG fun to drive and can accelerate well (as long as you get the manual transmission)

lower gear ratio for 5th gear location of USB audio-in cable narrower front pillars

Great Little Car!
By frozentundram

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Fit for almost 2yrs and love. Get about 25mpg city and high 30's on the road. My wife is more of a lead foot, so she gets about 2-3 mpg less. I installed a K & N air filter to help it breathe a bit better, otherwise all stock. Make sure you use a Top Tier gas as Honda recommends and you'll have no problems. Don't have to use anything but regular, but make sure it is Top Tier. I've known some that have used really cheap quality gas, and have had problems. Yes, this vehicle won't ride like a Lexus or Cadillac, but suits my needs fine. I also use a synthetic oil (Mobil 1) since the first oil change.

Inside room Looks great

Other interior color than black Seat Fabric attracts lint like crazy-hard to keep it clean. Seats could be made better for long trips, my thighs fall asleep when driving over two + hrs

Wow, the engine
By lateshift32

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I went from a 2010 Scion XD with a 1.8 to this 1.5. I hate the engine. I seems that it is in 2.5 to 3 rpms most of the time. The engine is very loud. I didn't realize that I would miss an engine or that it would even be a big deal. The combined mpg of my Scion ended up being 36.5 on a regular basis. I get 30.1 in the Fit and terribly upset. Furthermore, I just went to go try to trade it in, only having it for two months and they said I am already upside down and never have any hope of overturning my situation but they could offer me a 30,000 car. PS don't buy a bunch of warranties, it makes it hard to get your next loan! Lessen learned, horrible!

space, versitility

Get a bigger engine in it. That's my main complaint, that any the mpg aren't that great for the price.