Used 2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Love the Cargo Space!
By Carol T.

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a great little car until the airbag recall, have to drive a Hertz rental (does not cost me) for 6 weeks so far and they don't expect the part until July or August. No fault of my super little Fit. Lots of headroom and (I'm short) leg room for me. Small turning for U turns but not as much power uphill. Really nice for work and around town. Plenty of room when shopping bags and other things. So far just regular service but soon I will need new tires if I ever get the air bag repair.

Love the Cargo Space!
By Carol T.

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Honda, but definitely not my last
By mrj88

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Honda Fit for almost 4 years now, and I've realized why people keep buying Honda's over and over again. After trading in a 1 year old Ford Fiesta that was in the shop over a half dozen times for all sorts of repairs, I'm happy to say not a single thing has gone wrong with my 2012 Honda Fit. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Gas mileage has been around 35mpg with mixed highway/city driving. Cargo space is crazy! The guy at IKEA was floored when I pulled around my subcompact car and nearly put an entire couch in the back. Stereo sounds great and works well with an iPod/iPhone/USB device. 5-speed transmission shifts smoothly while the engine purrs like a kitten. The only negatives should be obvious for a budget-esque small car. Acceleration is lacking to say the least. No Bluetooth. The car handles well, but you're gonna feel most bumps in the road. The air conditioning, while cold, kills the power and tends to freeze up after a 90 minute ride. Seats aren't terrible, but overall comfort is so-so for long drives. The Fit is pretty light as well, so don't expect amazing performance in the snow. Base model doesn't come with a center console/armrest (I had one installed by Honda for less than $300 - completely worth it). Wipers only have 3 speeds.

Regardless. If you want something new, affordable, functional, with great gas mileage, and incredibly reliable. The Fit is a fantastic choice. I hope to drive this car for a long time.

The car to buy if you want a low maintenance car
By Derek M

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This car is overall designed well, but is by no means a feature vehicle. It's front wheel drive, is peppy but not at all fast, has 185 width stock tires (so you're not going to scream around corners), and the paint quality is atrocious. Expect every single dent, scratch, etc. to show up visibly on the paint. I have the silver paint, and almost anything will chip the thin paint or scratch it. The stock shocks and struts are a joke. After driving it for about a year or two, they give way to serious body lean that makes braking hard dangerous. I swapped out the crappy stock shocks and struts with Eibach and Tien, which are stiffer, but corrects the unnecessary body lean and shortens the stopping distance much more. I also upgraded from 185 width tires to 195 width to add more stability because 185 width are just junk. The tire pressure on the 185 kept getting low, even with new tires. So I just changed to 195 width and the tire pressure holds far better now. I believe you can add 205 or possibly 215 width max on the Fit. There are a good amount of light bulbs, with 8 to maintain in the front and the back lights as well. You are able to replace these all yourself, you can find videos online that will show how to do so (pretty similar to older acura/honda). The manual says to only run 87 gas, running 91 I saw no difference in performance whatsoever. This car takes only synthetic oil, and recommends only using top tier gas (no unbranded/generic mom and pop shops). My car began to pronounce the exhaust pretty loudly, and it sounds like I put a modified exhaust on my car even though the entire intake/mid/exhaust setup is stock (I don't know if other people experience this, it's an automatic). The electronic controls performance and design is excellent, everything is very intelligently engineered and I have had no problems. The USB connection is in the top glove compartment (the bottom one is the regular glove compartment), and I just put MP3 music on a flash drive and it's out of sight out of mind. The car has an audio jack input, but be careful because the rubber piece that protects it very easily comes off. Also, when maintaining the air filter, there is a solid attachment in the front with small clips on the side. The small clips on the side are prone to breaking, so be careful. I am 6'2" and am able to sit in the front seat fine. The backseat can hold adults, but the recommended total weight to have in the car is only about 850lbs. The major positives of the vehicle are that it is an easy to drive vehicle, there are a good amount of cupholders in the front and in the back, the interior volume space is massive for the vehicle size, the visibility from the inside is great, and that reliability on the engine/transmission and electronics is excellent. I bought my 2012 Fit in 2011 and haven't had to perform a single repair for anything, just purely maintenance and optional upgrades. This is a putt putt for getting around with some pep and good gas mileage, but it's no Corvette or Prius. A well designed (overall) low maintenance ride.

Poor Paint
By Daniel Lake

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Rear shocks were replaced at 24000 miles, tires had normal wear at 24000 miles. However , every tire was splitting apart at the second tread in. The paint on this car was the worst paint of the eight new cars I have owned. The paint chipping was primary on the hood but was not limited to the front of the car. Seen very few fits with this problem but the few I have seen were older and had premature surface rusting. This does not stop the car from getting great gas mileage or getting you from A to B comfortable but will have a great effect on your resale value. For this reason the car was traded in with only 27000 mile and rated low.