2012 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:
The perfect small car
By tommyone1 on 07/09/14 11:32 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Flawless reliability 3 years in. Not sure why some people get disappointing MPG. Maybe they drive like a maniac, have upgraded to wide tires, and carry a lot of weight... I get an avg of 39 MPG from this awesome car! The manual trany shifting and the clutch are both super light and easy and smooth. But I'd prefer a lower ratio for 5th gear so not to waste gas when going over 70 (and to quiet the engine) The interior loudness is less than in previous years. The cargo space is incredible, including under the rear seats. The gas tank being under the front seat means you can't adjust height, but I'm now happier sitting higher than I used to--better visibility, except the wide front left pillar

Great Little Car!
By frozentundram on 02/28/14 16:26 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Fit for almost 2yrs and love. Get about 25mpg city and high 30's on the road. My wife is more of a lead foot, so she gets about 2-3 mpg less. I installed a K & N air filter to help it breathe a bit better, otherwise all stock. Make sure you use a Top Tier gas as Honda recommends and you'll have no problems. Don't have to use anything but regular, but make sure it is Top Tier. I've known some that have used really cheap quality gas, and have had problems. Yes, this vehicle won't ride like a Lexus or Cadillac, but suits my needs fine. I also use a synthetic oil (Mobil 1) since the first oil change.

Wow, the engine
By lateshift32 on 01/25/13 01:26 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I went from a 2010 Scion XD with a 1.8 to this 1.5. I hate the engine. I seems that it is in 2.5 to 3 rpms most of the time. The engine is very loud. I didn't realize that I would miss an engine or that it would even be a big deal. The combined mpg of my Scion ended up being 36.5 on a regular basis. I get 30.1 in the Fit and terribly upset. Furthermore, I just went to go try to trade it in, only having it for two months and they said I am already upside down and never have any hope of overturning my situation but they could offer me a 30,000 car. PS don't buy a bunch of warranties, it makes it hard to get your next loan! Lessen learned, horrible!

Nice car, pricey, terrible gas millage for the segment.
By famercado on 11/04/12 06:32 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is a good and reliable car, with lots of security features, comfortable for its size, looks very good inside and outside (especially steering wheel and rims), reliable and well assembled. I use it to commute from my home to the metro station, and for that purpose is fantastic. On the weekends we use my wife’s car which is more spacious. The gas millage is horrible for a compact car and considering the price and the trim (sport) it is way under equipped. It is very pricey compared to other brand’s similar cars.

2nd Fit purchased new
By heffelz8 on 10/22/12 20:52 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The wife and myself owned a 2008 Fit while living abroad in Europe. When we moved back to the States, we purchased another Fit. For a compact car, Honda really managed to cram a whole lot into this vehicle without making it seem over-done. Fit and finish is quite nice, along with the overall design. This car works, it's practical, very lively to drive (with the stick) and very fuel efficient 36 highway and 33 in town. I am 6'6" 210 lbs and fit very very well in this car. My knees don't hit anything on the way in or out. Loading height is great whether you're 5'2, like my wife, or my size. I would buy a 3rd fit if I ever felt so inclined to get another family member in one.

MPG Disappointment
By livinglarge2 on 10/02/12 21:20 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Honda Fit since the middle of July 12. I have put 6,000 miles on my car..mostly highway miles. I'm wondering if the manufacturer misrepresented the MPG advertised. I drive the car to work...which is mixed highway and city with 20mpg if I'm lucky. I have driven this car on long trips and can't seem to get the MPG over 32. This is with speeds below 60mph. I'm wondering if Honda came up with their MPG figures based on an anorexic driving this car without as much as a 5lb purse on board. I got 37 MPG on the way home from the dealership, but haven't seen it since. Perhaps the dealer used Premium gas? I can't duplicate the mileage. I should have bought the PRIUS.

No Lagin Wagon
By arbolero on 09/09/12 12:16 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very impressed. I wouldn't race anybody for pinks with this car, but it's still very lively when I need it to accelerate and responsive when I need it to handle. I drive treacherous, windy, mountain roads. Honda has made a proven winner and, remarkably, it remains unseated by any of the market's other small cars which are trying so hard, but not quite measuring up. I average 36 to 39 mpg on a tank. The seats are supportive and comfortable enough for 5 hours continuous driving. The drivers seat is spacious enough for a 6'1" driver. A 6'8" friend of mine was not able to sit comfortably in the driver's seat.

A great car
By wolf12373 on 09/04/12 10:05 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Honda somehow managed to squeeze an incredible amount of space inside this car. With the two “magic seats” in the back folded down it is possible to put almost anything in. The Fit’s 4- cylinder engine is more than adequate for everyday driving. I found the Fit to be extremely nimble as well. But the icing on the cake is the fuel efficiency. This car is rated 33/37, but I have been easily been able to average 40+ MPG.The Fit does not provide breakneck speed, exquisite luxury, or loads of extra features. On the other hand, it does have a great deal of one thing: Practicality. It is a no frills machine for moving people and stuff in a fun, comfortable manner.

Great car!
By kinggeorgeiii on 08/21/12 10:46 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is really superb. I've owned and driven Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Chevrolets, Chryslers, and Fords over the last decade. (Additionally, before I bought this car, I rented and test drove an Elantra, a Corolla, and a Yaris for a combined month.) Some were better than others, but none managed to get the whole package right like this Honda Fit. It's a wonderfully capable car, for hauling people. The folding seats will let you fit all sorts of stuff, and because it's a car instead of an SUV, getting heavy items into the back is a breeze. This is an economy car, which means the price is cheap, and it's thrifty with gas, too. I'm getting mid-30s, even with "spirited" driving.

Disappointing
By azdriver3 on 07/26/12 11:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Fit for about 6 months, 6,000 miles. I'm not impressed. I drive this car like an old grandma, slow acceleration, early deceleration, maximizing coasting and momentum.. and I don't even come close to the advertised mileage in town. I get maybe 22-24 in town, compared to the 27 it's supposed to get. I got better city mileage in my last car, which was 600 lbs heavier with a much bigger engine and almost 300hp, and I drove that car like I stole it. And on that note, this car is slow. Anemically slow. It gets me from A to B, but I have to make sure I have looots of room before I pull out into traffic.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Fit Hatchback in VA is:

$129 per month*