Used 2012 Honda Fit Base Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

My first Honda, but definitely not my last
By mrj88

2012 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Honda Fit for almost 4 years now, and I've realized why people keep buying Honda's over and over again. After trading in a 1 year old Ford Fiesta that was in the shop over a half dozen times for all sorts of repairs, I'm happy to say not a single thing has gone wrong with my 2012 Honda Fit. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Gas mileage has been around 35mpg with mixed highway/city driving. Cargo space is crazy! The guy at IKEA was floored when I pulled around my subcompact car and nearly put an entire couch in the back. Stereo sounds great and works well with an iPod/iPhone/USB device. 5-speed transmission shifts smoothly while the engine purrs like a kitten. The only negatives should be obvious for a budget-esque small car. Acceleration is lacking to say the least. No Bluetooth. The car handles well, but you're gonna feel most bumps in the road. The air conditioning, while cold, kills the power and tends to freeze up after a 90 minute ride. Seats aren't terrible, but overall comfort is so-so for long drives. The Fit is pretty light as well, so don't expect amazing performance in the snow. Base model doesn't come with a center console/armrest (I had one installed by Honda for less than $300 - completely worth it). Wipers only have 3 speeds.

Regardless. If you want something new, affordable, functional, with great gas mileage, and incredibly reliable. The Fit is a fantastic choice. I hope to drive this car for a long time.

The perfect small car
By tommyone1

2012 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Flawless reliability 3 years in. Not sure why some people get disappointing MPG. Maybe they drive like a maniac, have upgraded to wide tires, and carry a lot of weight... I get an avg of 39 MPG from this awesome car! The manual trany shifting and the clutch are both super light and easy and smooth. But I'd prefer a lower ratio for 5th gear so not to waste gas when going over 70 (and to quiet the engine) The interior loudness is less than in previous years. The cargo space is incredible, including under the rear seats. The gas tank being under the front seat means you can't adjust height, but I'm now happier sitting higher than I used to--better visibility, except the wide front left pillar

easy shifting cargo room great MPG fun to drive and can accelerate well (as long as you get the manual transmission)

lower gear ratio for 5th gear location of USB audio-in cable narrower front pillars

Great car!
By kinggeorgeiii

2012 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is really superb. I've owned and driven Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Chevrolets, Chryslers, and Fords over the last decade. (Additionally, before I bought this car, I rented and test drove an Elantra, a Corolla, and a Yaris for a combined month.) Some were better than others, but none managed to get the whole package right like this Honda Fit. It's a wonderfully capable car, for hauling people. The folding seats will let you fit all sorts of stuff, and because it's a car instead of an SUV, getting heavy items into the back is a breeze.

This is an economy car, which means the price is cheap, and it's thrifty with gas, too. I'm getting mid-30s, even with "spirited" driving.

The manual transmission makes the car come alive, and I highly recommend it. I'd never driven a stick before, but I learned in 10 minutes at the dealer. I bought the base, and it already comes with everything a "loaded" car 10 years ago had. Power locks/windows/brakes/steering, cruise, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, CD player, aux inputs, and USB/iPod hookup on the stereo, etc. It's also got side airbags, active head restraints, etc. so it's quite a safe car, too. Basically, this is all the car that 90% of people probably would ever need. It doesn't feel cheap, and it doesn't drive or ride cheaply, either. Furthermore, it's got Honda reliability and holds its value very well.

It's hard to think of anything, honestly. Maybe the air conditioner could be a little stronger. I bought a black Fit, and I live in the warm South, and haven't been miserable, but with all the glass and all the interior volume, it can take a bit for the AC to really make a dent. The front seats are fine for me, but I'm 5'10". I think a 6' driver might feel a bit cramped. A turbocharger would be great ;) -Although, I must admit, it's not necessary at all. I manage to handily accelerate well in excess of the speed limit after almost every stoplight.