Used 2009 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Not typical, but annoying as... heck
By cdninsw

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

First off, big Honda fan. Just got bad car. 2 months old took it in for "ting" in motor. Service found loose exhaust valve on #4 cyl, broken exhst valve spring on #3 cyl, Vtec system not working (dead solenoid), passngr side motor mount installed backwards. 17 days in shop, top half of motor was replaced (cylinder heads, valve train & solendiod), motor mount re-installed. Lot of issues for new car. Told Honda we wanted "out", corporate said no, it's fixed. It goes in this week for spazdic rear wiper (rear swipes randomly when front wiper on and rear wiper OFF). Had lots of Honda's, these issues aren't typical. This may be the best running Fit on the road right now but will trade in ASAP.

Favorite Features

Mileage is great. Bought it as a commuter & travel a lot between LA and Phoenix. HUGE cargo room (with rear seat down), was able to load a 47 inch LCD TV with all packaging & it layed flat in the back. That may not sound big but those TV's have a LOT of Styrofoam around them. :)

Suggested Improvements

QC?, QA? Based on driving before & after, the motor issues were there since day 1. This was the only Fit we test drove.

Excellent Fit
By Barry

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Best balance of comfort, performance, economy, utility and trouble free driving in this price range. The styling is Jazzy-Functional. Seats are supportive and comfortable for a 6 hour drive. With the A/T, highway noise is low at 70 mph (2500 rpm). Only gets noisy above 3000 rpm, which is apparently where the M/T cruises at 70 mph. Fun to drive quickly in the twisties- just keep it in S (1st-3rd) or use the paddle shifters and keep the rpm up. Only down-side is that it gets twitchy in 30 knot cross winds. This is my 5th Honda/Acura-none kept less than 8 years. That says a lot about overall satisfaction level.

Favorite Features

400 miles on $30 of gas is nice! The iPod in the glove compartment and the Nav system work very nicely together. Five speed A/T w. sport range and paddle shifters is seamlessly matched to the engine and provides a lot of options for best utilization of the available power.

Suggested Improvements

Ride is choppy on less than perfect surfaces. Swapping the Dunlop high performance tires for a more expensive Michelin or Bridgestone Grand Touring tire might help. All black interior with lots of plastic and fuzz-catcher seat fabric could be upgraded and would be worth an extra $500.

Fun car, with annoyances
By Alexa

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I was spoiled by my Toyota Echo - 40+ mpg. The Fit can't touch it. Its mpg readout claims 34 mpg, but it lies. Very inaccurate, and since Honda does such a good job on everything else, I can't help thinking it is intentional. I get 29 mpg. Other annoyances - no cubbyholes for sunglasses, car reg & ins, phone charger, etc. BLACK upholstery (hate it, but only option for 09 Sport) collects tons of hair from my blond, long-haired dog. On the other hand, I feel safe, with crush-zone front and lots of airbags. Fit is peppy, has great easy-to-read, well-lit gauges, good sound system, cruise control. It hauls lots of stuff easily.

Favorite Features

Peppy performance. Can pass easily. Hatchback & hauling ability. Safety features. Easy-to-read gauges. Cruise control. WOULD like the mpg readout feature if it were accurate.

Suggested Improvements

Make mpg readout accurate so we buyers don't think Honda is lying to us. Put some cubbyholes in reach of the driver. Different upholstery color options. Let Sport model buyers opt for the gray that the plain Fit has.

Youotta git-one! ! !
By Sporty 60Youngfella

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I may be 60 years old, but I don't think like older folks. This car is fun, fun, fun, and way beyond that!! It turns on a dime (gives you 9 cents change), slices thru traffic like a Cutco knife!, and gets 36.5 mpg to boot (city/hwy)!! Steering is quick and takes getting used to. Handling of the car exceeds the org. tire capabilities. My wife & I took an 1100 mile trip in it and she said that the seats are better than her 2006 Accord!! The agility is awesome, even on the hi-way. WOW! The ride is firm, but this is a SPORT! Be sure to leave space from the curb, clearance is limited! The admission price seems high on a Honda, but well well worth it in every respect. After all, this is my 4th Honda!!

Favorite Features

ipod hookup, auto rear wiper actuation when front wipers are going when in reverse gear, handling (!), mpg, cool looks, fold up magic seats, storage space! Very few things not to like, low cost to operate, period!

Suggested Improvements

Headlight beams need improving. An SI version for the adrenalin junkies (I might be included, hee hee!).

A good city car
By Douglas Lower

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drove my car to work every day, and drove it on two long trips. My mpg avg for city with the air on was 34 mpg, 38 mpg with the air off. The mpg readout on the dash display was inaccurate it would show 42 mpg. Mpg was worse on the frwy, do to the high rpm of the engine in 5th gear. My other car an 09 Ford Focus w/auto did better on the frwy 42-45 mpg. I enjoyed the design of the interior, but felt cheap materials let it down. I did not feel safe on the hwy, to jittery and crosswinds threw it. The shifter clicked loudly into 2nd and 4th. The roof panel would sink down when I washed the car, metal to thin. Have a 2nd car for hwy use, use this for city. Headlight illumination not efficient. No satelite radio.

Favorite Features

Gas mpg in city,Cargo options.My Focus did not have the cargo flexibility of my Fit,but had a better ride and hwy mpg,and nicer interior materials.I looked at the good qualities of both my vehicles and combined them. I traded them both in on a loaded 2010 Kia Soul Sport in Aug 09.

Suggested Improvements

Use a better quality fabric on doors and seats, and a more upbeat color and pattern. Upgrade carpet and foot pad. Standard armrests, satelite radio. Factory moonroof option. Use a thicker gauge metal on roof. Use a wider tire/wheel combination. Make mpg gauge readout accurate.