Used 2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Fun But Wouldn't Choose it Again
By zippy

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car in Jan 2009 as a commuter vehicle (60mi round trip to work each day on back roads). Car looks great, has tons of interior room - 4 good sized adults fit comfortable in this vehicle - and has fun, peppy handling. 34mpg on average. Some freakishly bad luck-1 huge ice chunk and 2 low-speed fender benders (1 front, 1 back at less than 13 mph) resulted in over $7000 damage each time. We kid that if you look at the Fit mean, the doors fall off. The impact energy may be dissipated, but you're left with rubble after what should be a minor incident. I wouldn't put a young driver in this car and I'm selling as soon as it's paid off.

Favorite Features

Zippy handling, spacious interior, back wipers, cloth interior, comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

A real dog on hills, even with 1 passenger, headlights are inadequate, black interior, no adjustable intermittent wipers. Major damage after what should be minor impact.

Left wanting more
By harmony

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Fit almost a year ago so have had plenty of time to think about it and reflect on my purchase. At first sight I liked the color and enjoyed the interior features such as the magic seats and navigation system. After having driven it over 6000 miles now I regret to say that if I could go back I would pick a different vehicle. Driver is uncomfortable on long drive with very little back support and small arm rests. front passenger has no arm rest at all. Over all the car was worth the small price, but next time spend a little more and get something better. Sorry Honda, not one of your best models over all. Oh and p.s. honda, teach your sales reps more about the fit. misleading.

Favorite Features

the navigation system, color, and magic seats lots of cupholders

Suggested Improvements

less plastics and cheap interior appearance. better driver armrest more soundproofing definitely not a quiet ride.

Rough and tough
By oldgrover

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I think Honda forgot to put springs & shocks in my Fit! The ride is brutal on Minnesota's beat up roads. Honda's build quality is apparent, any other car that rides this rough would have broken in half or at least creak, groan & squeak after 15000 miles. My other complaints are the awkward placement of the cup holders. Being a righty, the cup holder on the left side of the dash is inconvenient. The mouse fur interior fabric traps hair and lint that is difficult to remove. I also wonder how long the cardboard carpeting will hold up.

Favorite Features

I am impressed by the flexibility and capacity of the interior. The fit and finish of the car are exceptional.The fuel mileage is great.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the ride quality. A bit better quality of interior materials. And a few more ponys under the hood.

Great Car
By Dave

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in a Jeep on a cash for clunkers deal. I wanted the most efficient and reliable car I could get. I think that I may have found it. Great mileage, fun to drive and comfortable. Great car for around town driving. Have taken a few 400 mile road trips and it can cruise all day long. Keep in mind that it is a small car and don't try to overload it and all will be fine. A great car for the money.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, interior room, functional styling.

Suggested Improvements

A little more "feel" in the brakes.

it fits...mostly
By vili

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

As an owner of 15 or so Hondas, from CRV's to S-2000's, I feel qualified to evaluate the Honda Fit. For the price, a bargain. Fun to drive, extremely maneuverable, very good mileage. Comfy seat, excellent outward visibility. Best manualshift quality ever. On the down side...the way the interior is configured affects the suspension design so there is little rear suspension travel which leads to a bumpy, sometimes shocking rear suspension whams. I would not recommend the car, at least the Sport model to anyone who normally travels on dirt or low quality roads. That said I love the car and am amazed at the eagerness of the engine, especially on the freeway.

Favorite Features

engine, trans, good brake feel,roominess, ease of use for rear folding seats. mileage, exterior design. steering and turning circle. maintenance minder, no dealer service needed for 100,000 miles. an amazing list of useful features which will an owner will be thankful for longterm.

Suggested Improvements

needs at least 1 more power outlet. move the aux jack from the middle of the dash back to where it was on the first edition of the fit. improve the plastic quality on the interior. add a temp gauge (would trade it for the quirky and unusable storage thing under the rear seat). add a SI model.