Used 2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Fun and useful vehicle
By ReneeSarah

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Honda Fit for a month and am still glad I got it. The Fit has good crash test results, good mileage and configurable space inside. I have went to IKEA and not worried about how I was going to get stuff in the car, put a fully assembled swivel desk chair in the back that I bought from Staples, etc. The interior finishing seems kind of cheap looking even compared to the Honda Insight. The front seat headrests do not adjust in a way that will ever be comfortable and the seats are kind of hard. There is good visibility- especially out the front window- where the expansive view is absolutely luxurious. While I got the "Sport" model, there is absolutely nothing sporty here.

configurable space, fun to drive, decent gas mileage, good crash test ratings

more comfortable seats, more comfortable and adjustable head rests, a spunkier engine that accelerates smoothly, higher grade of interior finishing

Right Car At The Right Time - Part 3
By David

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Wrote my first review about 6 months ago & then wrote another a month later after being extremely impressed with the fuel economy. Well, I'm still very impressed, as this car has managed to deliver 37.5 mpg consistently since my purchase. Bottom line, something is jacked with the EPA figures, because most Fit owners get much better mileage than the reported 27 city/33 hwy. I also think the car desperately needs a 6th gear, as the gear ratios are way too short. I can only imagine how much better the hwy mileage would be if there was a tall 6th gear. Plus if the ratios were more spaced it would quiet down the engine noise, as the engine spins at 4,000 rpm's at 80 mph which gets annoying fast!

This car is just a blast to drive! I wake up every morning looking forward to my drive to work. I dart in and out of slow moving traffic with ease. The car has one of the quickest steering ratios in any production car (12.7:1) & great feel. The brakes work very well too (despite having rear drums).

I have no idea why so many people complain about road noise. The car is actually very quiet for a sub-compact, it's the engine that makes all the racket! Would have liked some additional options: rear disc brakes, outside temp display, auto-dim rear view mirror, adjustable lumbar support, 6-speeds.

First truly new car and enjoying it!
By Jerry P.

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I spent a LOT of time looking at the cars in the this category and eventually couldn't find a better deal than the Fit Sport. I was able to get one at invoice. Couldn't find the exact one I wanted because finding a Sport manual w/Nav is like looking for the Loch Ness monster. Don't bother getting any simple options from the dealer, they are priced crazy. $150 for floormats (including install charge); found them on-line for $72. I've had the car for going on 3 weeks and over all I am very pleased with it, and find I can live with the cars quirks.

Really love the exterior styling. Of course the versatility of the back seats/cargo area. Front seats are very comfortable. Honda build quality is excellent. Great gas mileage. Fun to drive.

Unbundle stability control from the Nav option. VERY short gear ratios, always having to upshift. Stop gouging on simple options like floormats, cargo net, etc.

Perfect Car for me
By GatorTom

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Got my 2009 base Fit in September 2008, so have now driven it for nearly 9 months. It does everything I had hoped from great gas mileage--35 mpg in 90% suburban driving--to cargo carrying. (I have hauled an extra large size electric range, and my bike will fit in the back with both wheels still on). Mileage dropped to 32 mpg in the 20 degree temperatures of December and January but is back near 36 mpg in May. It is really fun to drive as well as cute and functional. I'm heading on a 1500-mile road trip to south Florida from Asheville next week so will report on highway mileage and trip comfort after that but everything so far is really great.

Cargo capacity handling gas mileage.

Cruise control availability on base model.

Great Little Car
By Hank5

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Honda. I'm a 6'1" 190lb man coming from a '86 Honda CRX this is a real step up. I can see how some would be a little miffed with the road noise. It's a tad on the rough side. The suspension sporty very responsive. It could use a 6th gear because at 80 mph it revs at approx. 4000 rpm. You will however, love the room the cargo space, the dash layout. Yaaayy!!

Ironically, the IPOD connector followed by the cargo space and functionality of the Cargo space and paddle shifters.

6th gear and a little more engine power