Used 2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Most Helpful|
Not Too Shabby
By jklengr

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Not too shabby on the gas mileage. I was expecting around 33 to 35 mpg average. So far after 4 fill ups, averaging 38.5. The car is a little noisy, but to be expected from an economy car. Just turn the volume up on the stereo which is pretty good.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Stereo with USB connector for IPhone. The blue lighted dashboard makes it easy to see during the day and looks neat at night. With the magic seats, got enough room for my dogs.

Suggested Improvements

Sturdier armrests and one for the front passenger. Side pockets on the rear door panels instead of just cupholders. "Miles to go till empty" display.

Fun But Wouldn't Choose it Again
By zippy

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car in Jan 2009 as a commuter vehicle (60mi round trip to work each day on back roads). Car looks great, has tons of interior room - 4 good sized adults fit comfortable in this vehicle - and has fun, peppy handling. 34mpg on average. Some freakishly bad luck-1 huge ice chunk and 2 low-speed fender benders (1 front, 1 back at less than 13 mph) resulted in over $7000 damage each time. We kid that if you look at the Fit mean, the doors fall off. The impact energy may be dissipated, but you're left with rubble after what should be a minor incident. I wouldn't put a young driver in this car and I'm selling as soon as it's paid off.

Favorite Features

Zippy handling, spacious interior, back wipers, cloth interior, comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

A real dog on hills, even with 1 passenger, headlights are inadequate, black interior, no adjustable intermittent wipers. Major damage after what should be minor impact.

I love my Fit!
By PJ

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Dear future Fit owners! You know, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well, its true! Two friends of mine have bought a Honda Fit in the last 2 years because of how much I have raved about mine! Honda should pay ME a royalty! LOL! All you have to do is open the door, get in the gi-normous cabin, turn it on & drive away- you'll be hooked! If you don't have a traffic-filled commute, get the 5- speed, the power is significantly better than the automatic. My bighearted little purple girl is perfect anywhere, anytime. Fast getting on the freeway, awesome going up mountain roads, great in the snow, and boy, so light that it flies watch out, you'll be doing 85 & not realize it

Favorite Features

It's the cutest car on the road. I's a little mini moving van, 57 cf of cargo space, unbelievable what you can get in there! The MPG is outstanding! Handles like a dream. SO roomy even the tallest person has extra headroom & can feel comfortable. enough said, just by one! FOREVER GLAD I DID!

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

Love my Fit! Perfect for small families on a budget
By m_h

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this car because we were looking for a newer model within our price range. We needed a car that would be reliable and could accommodate a child seat. We loved the look of the exterior of the Fit and its safety features. The car drives great, handles with a sporty ride. Seats are nothing fancy, but still comfy and durable. We can fit my son's car seat in if he is forward-facing, or rear-facing with myself in front of him. My husband is 6 ft 2" and cannot sit in front of my son's car seat when it is rear-facing and positioned behind the driver seat. The car seat cannot be put in the center seat.

Favorite Features

In-glove-box USB mp3 input plays mp3s from a flash drive through your stereo! Magic folding rear seats folds flat or fold vertically. Large trunk space for a tiny car: we can stash my husbands army gear and the baby stroller (vertically) in the trunk! The trunk has a removable tray that collects all the grime--you can simply pull it out and dump it when its dirty. Temp controls and stereo controls are simple. Digital mpg meter shows we get 28mpg with a mix of city/hwy driving. Drove this car all across the country with tons of weight and it was fine. To date, the car is more than 2 years old, and I have had zero problems with it.

Good experiment
By spudo

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2009 Fit Sport in 2011 with 44k miles on it. We were coming out of the recession, so I thought I would try a fuel efficient small car for my job, which is a lot of highway driving. A couple thoughts: The MPG meter exaggerated the gas mileage a bit. the meter read 36.6 over 10,000 miles, the calculator said 32.35 for the same time period. I had a black exterior and interior. The combination of the big black dash along with all the glass allowed a lot of heat in the car. The air conditioning is set to cycle the compressor on and off during driving to save fuel, made it very hard to keep cool on hot days. Added an official Honda center console, very much worth the money.

Favorite Features

Decent mileage, very large inside compared to how it looks outside. I am 6 foot 200 lbs, seemed very roomy in the driver's seat, adding the console/armrest made it more comfortable. Ingenious hauling and storage options. Fun to drive with paddle shifting on Sport. Typical Honda reliability, would go 9-10,000 miles between oil changes. Tires cheap to replace. All in all great car for mainly city driving.

Suggested Improvements

Lighten the color of the dash, maybe reduce some glass area. The abundant glass allows a large greenhouse effect, the black dash soaks up unbelievable heat, and the compressor cycling means hard to keep car cool when in the 90's. We would put a white towel on the dash to help reflect rays. Also the way the sun shines in there much of the time you can't read your gauges. Add the console standard.