Used 2009 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

An Excellent Kid Hauler
By Jpsandiego

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I am coming up on one full year of driving, and I have changed my mind on this vehicle several times. Its lack of power, height and weak a/c (for me) are my only complaints. On the flip side I get great highway miles (44mpg coming back from LA) 32-35mpg combined, smooth conservative performance (tight and quick when I need it to be), tons of space inside, more than enough room for two car seats a double stroller and a trip to COSTCO, I love the way the steering wheel feels (even more than our 135i conv.), paddle shifters are fun, and the 10 cup holders are 100% used and appreciated.

Favorite Features

Steering Wheel, ride, visibility, utility, mpgs, interior size, small exterior size, seats, chromed factory wheels, only one service visit in a year!

Suggested Improvements

Better a/c unit, more power (maybe a 175hp Fit turbo Si?), overall height a bit short (bending over to put kids in is a back killer).

The Fit is GO GO GO
By Sleepypasture

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I was extremely unhappy with my PT Cruiser (*ahem* PT LOSER) and did a LOT of research on the Fit and comparable vehicles. I test drove the Fit, Yaris, Cube, and Versa. I even drove the Yaris for 2 days while deciding. But after those 2 days, the decision was easy. The Fit by FAR blew the competition away. I have DOUBLED my mpg over the PT. Cargo space is amazing, and have easily fit my two large greyhounds, and last week a 6 foot industrial clothing rack. Have put 1800 miles on it in about a month. Fit also made list of greenest cars. Drove over a nail this week and the TPMS alerted me to low tire pressure. Now I look forward to driving every day, instead of wondering if my car will start!

Favorite Features

I ADORE the real-time mpg indicator as well as the average mpg indicator. Get close to 50 mpg on highway at times(!) and a tank is averaging 32-35 mpg (when dividing it out manually). Use the cruise control every day. USB drive is fantastic. All my friends are jealous! Also like the RPM gauge.

Suggested Improvements

I agree w/ others that the avg mpg indicator runs 2-4 miles higher than what I'm actually getting. Maybe it doesn't take into consideration the A/C? Would like option of passenger arm rest. Floor mats should be standard (I got some at AutoZone). Upholstery CLINGS to dog hair like Velcro. That's it!

Best of the Best
By Batman

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car after my 7year old van began to cost me more and more. I was trying to stretch it a little longer while I researched this car's overall value and other's experiences. I was hooked on its looks and functions to say the least. The fuel economy is outstanding and I have cut my monthly fuel cost by 60 percent. I average about 36 driving around town. I have owned a lot of different vehicles and this car is a winner. For driving such a great little car with big features sure puts a smile on my face. My neighbors mentioned how kool it looks. I get people always asking about it. Great car with or without hybrid technology. Buy one and have fun saving $$$$.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, paddle shifters, roominess, navi, style, sewing machine motor, a mini-mini van, more money in my pocket, Car and Drivers 10 Best, IIHS Crash tests results=GOOD, Vehicle Stability Control in case I make a mistake driving. Great insurance rates.

Suggested Improvements

Have not found any to date.

Great Little (big) Car
By Jim Davis

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Fit Sport to use as a short to moderate distance economy driver and it has served very well but it took a while to warm up to the ride (very stiff). The handling is very good though and there is an amazing amount of usable space considering the vehicle dimensions. Power is adequate (with the automatic) but by no means sporty. The transmission works well and I appreciate the paddle shifter option (keeps the transmission from shifting up and down so much in hilly country when using cruise control). Front seat comfort good, visibility is outstanding. Controls are easy to use and gauges easy to read. Great city car & adequate cruiser (wind moves it around a lot on the highway).

Favorite Features

Good fuel mileage (averaging 33 with high of 43 and low of 25). 10 cup and bottle holders (very handy). The "magic" back seats are great (lets you carry tall items). Extremely maneuverable and easy to park (short turning radius). Relatively quiet. Everything works like it should.

Suggested Improvements

Different upholstery material. Everything sticks to it (like Velcro) and the availability of a color besides black. Improved ride comfort. I appreciate a good handling car (own a BMW) but a better balance of handling versus ride comfort in this type of car would be appreciated by most people.

Good little car, but miss my SUV
By Tina B

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Fit is definitely a good car, but I am suffering a serious case of buyer's remorse. I had an SUV before getting the Fit. Do your homework for sure. I did not get a good deal on it, which is part of my regrets. I think you can get a lot more car for the same price if you went with a Mazda 3 for example. I really wish I would have gotten that instead. Gas mileage is good, but the on-board gauge is off. When it says I'm getting 37 mpg, it really is around 32. Still good, but instrument is unreliable. You have to pay extra for many features that are standard for other models. Insurance higher than on previous SUV. Check w/ your agent first.

Favorite Features

Instrument layout, color (blackberry pearl), very stable traction for a small car, decent gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Cargo space. Would like to be able to fit two suitcases in back WITHOUT folding down seats. USB cable should be closer to driver. Is way on far right. Makes no sense; also iPod controls through radio are not good. Price.