Used 2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Nice overall package!
By hspatz

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car feels very roomy for such a small car for both people and cargo. Average is around 37 mph overall. On trips can exceed 400 miles (10 gallons) on a tank. Steering is fast, borders on twitchy over 65 mph. Handling is excellent with rear breaking loose slightly with aggressive driving. Suspension is somewhat too stiff for bad New England roads. Acceleration more than adequate with manual trans. Front sometimes touches at end of driveways--be careful. Engine noisy over 70 mph. 65 mph is sweet spot. A/C a little weak, but doesn't sap much power. Controls work well and are easy to use.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Sporty handling. Interior room. Overall quality. Voice activation on Nav system. Excellent radio reception both AM and FM. Ability to store lots of stuff right in back of driver using magic seat. Fits in tiny parking spaces. No major weaknesses.

Suggested Improvements

Include outside temp. Improve AM radio fidelity. Improve clutch feel. Squelch engine noise over 65 mph. Decouple Nav. system and stability control options. Include center console and floor mats on higher models. Add fuel door release. More POI on Nav system. More coverage for sun shades. Add window tint.

Second Fit
By judi

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I had a 2007 fit and I loved the fast pickup, but the ride was not that great and the car started to shake at about 65 or 70 mph. I bought the 2009 and the ride is much better, but unfortunately, there is no pickup and a lack of passing power. I always was a Honda girl, but now looking to change. Spent all that extra money for navigation with no traffic.

Favorite Features

Steady ride and good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

No pickup or passing power. Navigation expensive with no traffic. Another overpriced Honda vehicle.

Wow! Thank You Honda
By RRL

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Honda had the guts to build an almost radical design, and make it fun to drive. Bravo! It is almost as exciting to drive as my old 87 CRX SI. Quite an accomplishment. Gear ratios make good use of engine power. Hauling space is impressive. AC is plenty cool. Seats are more comfortable after broken in for a couple of months. We've had our Fit for six months, our actual mileage is 30-32 city and 36-38 highway (not what the dash shows) ours didn't get more mpg after break in, but it always exceeds EPA ratings. Overall this is a very impressive car for the price with typical great attention to detail by Honda.

Favorite Features

Firm suspension, quick steering, slick shifter, overall design, dash lighting & knobs, big outside mirrors, wheels, fold up & down rear seats, and mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger door armrests - they crush if you put any weight on them, carpets seem too cheap, needs wilder taillights to go with great headlight design and different upholstery material as hair sticks to it like glue, front brake rotors seem to rust too easily.

Outstanding Value
By FitSport

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned many cars in my lifetime and this is the first time I'm compelled to write a review. First, I bought a used 2009 with 7200 miles on it saving almost $4k. I chose the Sport model because it has cruise control and paddle shifting-really fun. My last 500mile trip averaged 48.5 mpg @70 mph and that's with 3 adults and weekend luggage. Around town I'm getting between 40-43 mpg. Wish a sunroof is available but I can get by w/o it. Highway driving is very stable. The fit and finish is a definite 10. The 2009 model is far better than previous model years. I love this car - won't win any races but at 40+ mpg you can't go wrong.

Favorite Features

No blind spots. 160-Watt am/fm/cd 6 spkrs MP3/Windows Media Playback capability, paddle shifters.

Suggested Improvements

Larger wider low profile tires 205/45R 16 would be better and throw in the cargo area cover with the car. Sunroof option in the Sport model.

Love my Fit!!!
By locarbgal

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have only had my Fit for one week and I love it so far! I drive 21 miles one way to work and also do some marketing which requires extra driving so I needed to get rid of the old Taurus and get something with good gas mileage. The Fit so far with only 350 miles has gotten an average of 34.4 mpg which I am thrilled about! I am going on vacation next week and can't wait to see what kind of mileage I get!

Favorite Features

Love the sporty steering wheel, love the i-pod usb port in the hidden upper glove box, love the panoramic view out all the windows, love the roomy interior! Love the sporty exterior!

Suggested Improvements

Need a small center console! Or give the front passenger an arm rest! Visors are small! No other complaints!