2009 Honda Fit Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Fit Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Sort Reviews by

Fantastic value!!
By DRwatch

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Wanted to downsize a little from my 2007 Acura TL-Type S. Test drove an 2008 Fit to see what was all the hype. It was great. Couldn't wait for the 2009. Went to my local dealer and put a deposit on one even before they came in... the car was that much in demand. Glad I did. It is amazing. Not as fast (or flashy) as the Acura, BUT, it is so nimble and just plain fun to drive. The folding rear seats (up and flat) allow for an AMAZING amount of room! Don't miss the Acura at all. Average just around 37-38 mpg in city driving... and sometimes I really push using the paddle shifters :-). Test drove many cars before I settled on the Fit. Easily outclasses ANY car in its class. Get one!

Favorite Features

Handling, folding rear seat, great radio... able to use flash drive which can store a LOT of music, sips gas!

Suggested Improvements

Outside temp indicator, maybe a little more power, not much else.

Great city car, not bad all-around
By TomB

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

We got this looking for a cheaper and more versatile replacement for a Lexus IS, and have been very pleased. Fit-and-finish are excellent despite some cheap materials. We've been getting ~30 MPG in city driving, and got 33 on a highway trip with two adults, two kids in car seats, and luggage. The transmission needs to downshift to maintain 70 MPH on steeper grades, but does so pretty unobtrusively. More hamsters under the hood wouldn't hurt. Road noise is OK for the price. Low-speed handling is excellent, but the Fit feels tall in tight turns at speed. Navi is very easy to use. The USB connector works fine with iPhone and a 1st-gen iPod nano.

Favorite Features

Navi, USB interface, visibility, front seats, cargo capacity, exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

A CVT or dual-clutch sequential transmission would be better-suited to the engine than the conventional automatic. Rear disc brakes. Driver's seat height adjustment.

I Heart The Fit
By Zogar

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This car is great. Handles well, easy to park, fun to drive! Getting 39 mph highway.

Favorite Features

Sporty steering wheel, blue-lit dash, usb connector, magic seat. The interior design with high roof makes it seem like you have tons of room.

Suggested Improvements

Center console/arm rest should be standard. Auto door unlock when pulling the door handle - my passengers are confused trying to open the door when locked.

Fave Vehicle Past 34 Years
By FITFAN1

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned 12 vehicles since 1975, both foreign and domestic, cars, SUV's and pick up trucks. I purchased a 2009 Honda Fit Sport AT with the paddle shifters. What a great economy car! Owned it for 30 days and the fuel stats are super. Worst MPG was 29.9 with the first tank of gas and that was mostly stop and go St. Louis metro driving. Overall mileage is 38.4 MPG after 900 miles. One highway only driving trip averaged 44.9 MPG while the computer estimated 46.9 MPG. I have 60% city/urban and 40% interstate driving. Paddle shifters are great, radio reception superb, picking up many weak and distant stations in St. Louis market. Interior space and comfort are tops. Engine's smooth and quiet.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, style, interior comfort and safety are great. The radio is the best I have ever had in any vehicle. Room is spacious, engine smooth and efficient, pickup and braking are great, too. Paddle shifters are fun! I can't find anything wrong with this vehicle. It joins a 2002 Chevy Impala.

Suggested Improvements

I plan on keeping my 2009 Fit for many years, but would consider a Fit Hybrid if one is offered in the future. Might dump the Impala and own two Hondas. Floor mats are minor, but they would be nice.

Love the 09 Fit
By Magoo

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Recently bought an 09 Fit and so far I'm loving it! Avg. mileage is 39.6; inside is very room. Blue dashboard gauge lights are nice as well as the stereo system. Miss having a center console.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; dashboard gauge lights; roomy interior; paddle shifters

Suggested Improvements

Floormats and center console should be std.; armrests on each front seat. More room for larger cups.

Fit for duty
By Cunsumerator

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

2 weeks and 1K miles later, we love the car. 34 mpg first tank and better thereafter, to almost 40. Very smooth, peppy, and comfortable. Surprisingly roomy, but we're keeping our Sienna.

Favorite Features

Spacious, economical, versatile, smooth riding, quiet, and reliable. Great visibility even for the stature impaired. Lots of standard safety features.

Suggested Improvements

A little more lumbar support in ront. Front passenger and rear seat armrest. Steering wheel audio controls w/o the nav system. Much better carpet (reeks of cheap-like trunk lining); too expensive. Better fabric (holds lint) in more colors. Seat heaters. Ash tray/trash receptacle. Better warranty.

Well pleased
By sandy

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I did lots of research and it is a good car just like the experts say. I am 5'1" and the size fits me great. My husband is 6' and he has to put the seat all the way back to be comfortable but we go on 400 mile trips and he is fine. I get 39 mpg rural miles and about 36 in the city (Atlanta). I love it and even though the price is a little higher for the class you do get what you pay for and I have the sport and no other car in the category has the bang for the buck. My advice is to buy it if you want a car in the small, economy class.

Favorite Features

MPG

Suggested Improvements

Things like temperature display. Just a few more "luxury" features. At least another choice for interior.

Great! even for the family
By dhp222

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Originally I had my doubts, I'd never owned a Honda before. I had a mazda6 and my husband has a CX-9, I always liked small cars, but know that we have 2 children I wasn't sure if it would be a great choice. But it was! I love the car, is really fun to drive, and my 4 year old get in/off the car by herself (she couldn't w/ the other 2 cars). I also have an infant and the cars seat fits perfectly between the front and rear seats. Interior wise Fit gives you more features than the Corolla or Yaris (which I also considered). Exterior look it's modern! fun, fun fun. I love it and all my doubts are gone!

Favorite Features

Size, color, overall exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely floor mats. That should be standard.

My Honda Fits!
By iFit

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I eagerly awaited the arrival of the 09 Fit because, at 6'6", I just wasn't comfortable in the old Fit without telescopic steering wheel. When I showed up at the dealer, they said are you sure you want such a small car. They recommended someone at my height would be much happier in an Accord. Well, they were all astonished to see how well I Fit into this small car. And I drove off with my mountain bike safely stowed in the back. This car is amazing value; I love driving it compared to my previous Audi A6 mainly because it sips fuel. But also it's just plain fun to drive. My advice: if you can handle manual, go for it. The automatic felt much more sluggish for some reason

Favorite Features

iPod can be controlled from the radio controls. Quiet. Feels like it's on rails going around the corners. Sporty leather steering wheel. Comfortable seats, even for tall drivers. Plenty of headroom. Practical hatchback design. Somewhat unique copper color. Glad I didn't buy another Accord.

Suggested Improvements

Audio controls on steering wheels. Stability control standard. Xenon bulbs. Locking glove box.

Tight Fit for Tall Folks
By Terrain.org

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from a larger, more powerful vehicle, and while I love the functionality, gas mileage, and looks of the Fit, in the month and 1,600 miles I've had it, I haven't been able to get really comfortable in the driver's seat. I'm 6'5" and the road test seemed okay, but after sitting in it a while, I sure wish the seat was more adjustable and went farther back. The center armrest should be standard, too (and lower, and designed for use with a manual transmission; the current one will not be installed by Honda on a MT). Otherwise, though, I think it's a great little car, and runs well both around town and on the highway. It's moderately zippy, has a great turning radius, and is open.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, iPod integration, exterior design, folding rear seats, cargo area, visibility from driver's seat, great A/C, MPG indicator (though it reports about 4 MPG higher than actual)

Suggested Improvements

Driver's seat needs up-down adjustment (at least in front, for thighs of taller drivers) plus needs to go back a bit farther; center console should be standard, and designed to work with manual transmission; wider cup holders for bigger water bottles; lighted ignition; more accurate MPG indicator