2009 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:
Does everything I ask with no problems
By ahull1 on 03/18/14 10:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 09 Fit Sport MT new and have put +110k miles on with no repairs beyond preventative maintenance. The car has delivered on all the reasons that I purchased it for: very low cost of ownership, fun to drive, TONS of cargo space (with rear seats flat), and great mileage (38-40mpg). The car has handled west MI winters well, even before I purchased snow tires. Build quality has been good, although some plastic interior panels are beginning to get loose. I recommend switching from the stock tires as soon as they wear out. Overall, no complaints. The car has been a champ, and I expect it will continue to well past 200k.

Gutless Wonder
By diehard080 on 08/13/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have to be honest . Its a car that I give 5 stars to from the standpoint of reliability ,which is the only similarity to my Honda motorcycles . Other than that its so slow it can get out of its own way . I am not being mean I just think that on my numerous trips to Japan thats where this cars belongs . It dosent handle in any inspiring way and have had the front assembly pop out on small curbs that I thought I barley creased? But I hung this pup into a turn that I was following others through and it felt like it was about to roll over . And it looks like a Mini-van lacking steriods . I sold it because I need to redline it thru every gear when going 2 work getting on the fwy. too embarrasi

Great Commuter
By rb on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove a Fiesta and ended up with the Fit. The main factor in favor of the Fit was that it feels like a much bigger car on the inside. The Fiesta hatchback is claustrophobic and is tough to see out the back window. The Fiesta is quieter and has more bells and whistles (Sync). But the Fit has a much more flexible interior. I drive 50/50 highway/city and so far am averaging about 36 mpg. Mostly use to commute but can also fit my (2) kids and all their soccer gear. With one rear seat folded down I fit 4, 6ft soccer goals inside. Manual Shifter is great, and IPod/USB integration is nice. Also I was able to buy it used at a great price while the Fiesta is still new.

Fun & Efficient
By zach on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace an aging Chevy Tracker, knowing I was going to put a lot of miles on the next year. The Fit has more cargo room than the SUV had, and the thing is so incredibly fun to drive on curved roads. Thing is, I don't think I've gotten less than 35 mpg yet, with 31,000 miles on it! I have gotten 40-42 mpg (calculated, not based off the computer) on many occasions. Of course, I try to be smart with the manual so as to save gas, but I'm definitely no hyper-miler. This car is fun to drive, very fuel efficient, and has incredible storage capacity.

I love my Fit!
By PJ on 08/27/10 11:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Dear future Fit owners! You know, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well, its true! Two friends of mine have bought a Honda Fit in the last 2 years because of how much I have raved about mine! Honda should pay ME a royalty! LOL! All you have to do is open the door, get in the gi-normous cabin, turn it on & drive away- you'll be hooked! If you don't have a traffic-filled commute, get the 5- speed, the power is significantly better than the automatic. My bighearted little purple girl is perfect anywhere, anytime. Fast getting on the freeway, awesome going up mountain roads, great in the snow, and boy, so light that it flies watch out, you'll be doing 85 & not realize it

it fits...mostly
By vili on 02/01/10 04:50 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

As an owner of 15 or so Hondas, from CRV's to S-2000's, I feel qualified to evaluate the Honda Fit. For the price, a bargain. Fun to drive, extremely maneuverable, very good mileage. Comfy seat, excellent outward visibility. Best manualshift quality ever. On the down side...the way the interior is configured affects the suspension design so there is little rear suspension travel which leads to a bumpy, sometimes shocking rear suspension whams. I would not recommend the car, at least the Sport model to anyone who normally travels on dirt or low quality roads. That said I love the car and am amazed at the eagerness of the engine, especially on the freeway.

A good city car
By Douglas Lower on 12/05/09 11:57 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drove my car to work every day, and drove it on two long trips. My mpg avg for city with the air on was 34 mpg, 38 mpg with the air off. The mpg readout on the dash display was inaccurate it would show 42 mpg. Mpg was worse on the frwy, do to the high rpm of the engine in 5th gear. My other car an 09 Ford Focus w/auto did better on the frwy 42-45 mpg. I enjoyed the design of the interior, but felt cheap materials let it down. I did not feel safe on the hwy, to jittery and crosswinds threw it. The shifter clicked loudly into 2nd and 4th. The roof panel would sink down when I washed the car, metal to thin. Have a 2nd car for hwy use, use this for city. Headlight illumination not efficient. No satelite radio.

Fantastic MPG
By jokereddie on 10/23/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got the 5 speed stick shift Sport model. MPG is displayed at the push of a button. We haven't re-set it since we left the showroom in May. Now with 7000 miles on it we have averaged 44.2MPG!! Fun to drive, rides a little rough, but great little car. Many compliments on the color - we got the Blackberry Pearl.

Made for Commuting
By Russell on 10/05/09 06:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I was returning from overseas and needed a second car for commuting to work. After buying the car I received a 10- month assignment at a location 575 miles from my house, and I do that drive 1-2 times per month. If I knew I’d be driving that far so regularly, I would’ve purchased a car more composed at highway speeds. Highway performance is weak. At 80 mph, the engine turns nearly 4000 rpm, which is annoying and doesn’t give much cushion for passing. Short wheelbase equals bouncy ride. Braking is fair and should be improved. Rear drums and lack of VSC have caused instability during high-speed heavy braking.

Really happy with purchase
By austen on 08/11/09 20:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my fit for 2 weeks and it is a really awesome car. I'm getting no less than 34 mpg, it's very peppy, it has bold looks, its very functional with vast cargo space. I researched like crazy before I bought it and i wouldn't have picked any other car. It's resale value should i ever sell it is the highest in its class. The only thing I would have done differently is gotten a different color. Black is cool but there's not enough color in the world so maybe I would have gotten blue instead.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Fit Hatchback in VA is:

$105 per month*