Used 2009 Honda Fit Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Best small car!
By Fitlover

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Previously, I owned a Nissan sentra with which I was very happy for 20 yrs. (yes!). Finally decided it was time for a new car. Researched well. Drove the versa, yaris and fit. Loved the fit. Handled like a sports car and was very comfortable with many safety features not standard on the others. Interior is very thoughtfully designed, with many little 'holders' for various things.

Favorite Features

The fuel economy with this car is truly wonderful. So much better than advertised! However, I am an even driver, never "jack-rabbiting" from a light . I do go the speed limits and find I regularly get 40 to 48 mpg. Wonderful!

Suggested Improvements

My only issue is the headrests. Seem to be angled so the head is kept too far forward. Otherwise, seats are very supportive and comfortable.

My fit at 18 months
By colofarmgirl

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Fit. I don't know why the mileage is listed at 29 mpg. I get 40 mpg, although a lot of my driving is on the highway. I was really surprised at the acceleration, given the mileage. It has great cargo options. The interior is holding up well given that I always have a couple of dogs with me. The only drawback to the Fit is that it gets blown around in high winds. I wish it had cruise control, other than that I am really pleased with my decision to buy the Fit.

Favorite Features

automatic door locks, real time mpg display, tire pressure warning, sound system

Suggested Improvements

cruise control on base model

Built like a fine Swiss watch
By Lacy

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had "Hissy" for 10 months. Best car I've ever had in 40 years. She's built like a fine Swiss watch. Wanted to buy American, but since I had major problems with Saturn when they came out (sorry Saturn), I promised myself to buy the best car regardless of country. All of the reviewers were correct in their evaluations of the Fit- - a truly superb 5 door sub-compact hatchback. Try as I may, nothing but superlatives can describe our "Hissy." Averaging 40-42 MPG in mostly small town driving (after discounting the onboard 44-47 MPG sensor by 10%). Comfortable, responsive, great stereo, still original engine oil at 4500 miles, just a great little car. Thanks, "Hissy," love ya.

Favorite Features

You name it, we love it. It's all good!

Suggested Improvements

Don't mess with perfection.

My cute lil car
By amanda

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Since I have gotten the car, it has never dipped below getting 35 mpg! I love that there is a display that tells you how many mpg you are getting. It makes me happy. It's as good as you get without paying for the hybrid.

Favorite Features

MPG reading on dashboard, easy fold down seats, cute trunk, great stereo and the like 8 cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

My 98 Honda accord had cruise control yet this doesn't? I didn't even ask I just assumed it had cruise control! My b.

Fuel Miser with terrific packaging
By Aay Kay

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had an 08 Honda Fit Base MT, that I traded in for my 09 Subaru Tribeca but then sorely regretted having let the Fit go, and purchased an 09 Fit Sport MT as an addition to the Tribeca. The 09 Fit feels much more substantial than the 08 Base Fit and clearly feels stiffer and more sporty. The mileage with both my 08 Fit and the 09 Fit have been significantly better than the EPA estimates - 35-36mpg in mixed driving conditions, which I am very happy with. As a repeat Fit buyer, I don't think I would be letting this little gem go, anytime soon!

Favorite Features

Excellent mileage, superb interior packaging, top-notch space efficiency, excellent fit and finish, sporty handling, small exterior size.

Suggested Improvements

I liked the 08 Fit's rear hatch cover design better than the fixed version in the 09 Fit. I also like the shifter feel of the 08 Honda Fit better. Nit-picking really!