Used 2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

It Fits
By tim jinks

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Great mileage, solid and reliable, comfortable for a small car .I can carry almost anything I need,-bike, dogs. Lumber in the back.

Honda Fit Sport 2009
By M Lai

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Best option for purchase in 2009 compared to other models at similar price. Occasional acceleration issues, front bumper is too low, scrapes the driveway curb a lot.

2016 model seems to have addressed acceleration as well as height of front for scraping; also back up camera safety feature

Crazy Reliable! 40 mpg!!!
By ConcreteCowgirl

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with just a few miles on her and have gotten to 165,000 now without a single issue. I have replaced the brakes and tires and that's IT! I love my girl. I have the manual because of the wee engine and she's a champ. I really cannot recommend this car enough. If you want a reliable vehicle then this one is for you. My mechanic says these go forever and I can say shows no sign of slowing down. I'm not crazy about the interior materials, but I knew that when I bought her. There is wear on the floor carpet and that bugs me because I haven't been that hard on her - just loads of miles - so I can say that the interior carpet is cheap, but otherwise she ROCKS. I regularly get between 35-40 miles per gallon combined and almost always 40 mpg on the highway.

Does everything I ask with no problems
By ahull1

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 09 Fit Sport MT new and have put +110k miles on with no repairs beyond preventative maintenance. The car has delivered on all the reasons that I purchased it for: very low cost of ownership, fun to drive, TONS of cargo space (with rear seats flat), and great mileage (38-40mpg). The car has handled west MI winters well, even before I purchased snow tires.
Build quality has been good, although some plastic interior panels are beginning to get loose. I recommend switching from the stock tires as soon as they wear out.
Overall, no complaints. The car has been a champ, and I expect it will continue to well past 200k.

- 38-40mpg - +100k miles with no repairs - Fun to drive, great MT, good engine sound - Very versatile cargo space - iPod compatibility is great

- better ergonomics. The car is made for people with short legs and long arms. I'm 6'3", so I either have my knees against the wheel (seat forward) or get tight shoulders from reaching for the wheel (seat back). - road noise is high, but not unusually high for an economy car. I've found putting a blanket under the rear floor helps.

Honda doesn't get "tall"
By liza9

2009 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Bought 2009 fit in 2011, have put on 45K miles.
Am 6'3", visibility is difficult, due to rear view mirror, door frame in field of vision when making turns, reflection of dashboard on window.
I have a piece of black carpet on dashboard to compensate.
Uncomfortable due to non-telescoping steering wheel, head rest too far forward, back rest concave in the wrong place--need to use back support.
Have to tilt steering down in order to see upper part of speedometer. After 45 minutes, seat is very,very uncomfortable.
Hard to steer, always over correcting on winding roads, especially at 45 mph+,
maybe due to placement of engine on front axis?
Needed steering wheel cover to ease grip.

Oh the flexibility. And the gas mileage--around 32 mpg--lower than promised but good for 4 door car. I was able to move a full size office desk with hatch tied down a few inches. (And a table tied to the roof!) Was able to move a cabinet with 2 passengers due to split folding back seats. Have moved haybales, bushes, various small furniture & supplies, college students, etc. 3 tall (6 ft+) & 1 regular sized adult, and one 9 year old fit pretty comfortably for less than 1/2 hour trips. Like this almost as much as my old Eagle Summit Wagon for space--the folding seats are a great advantage.

Seat height flexibility, less concave back support, head rest less forward-angled, seat much more cushioned, not sure what to do about dashboard reflection, make the steering easier, have a larger and telescoping steering wheel in addition to tilt, variable speed wipers, headlights less blinding to other drivers