Used 2009 Honda Fit Sport Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Mostly Great - Navi needs improvement
By Terry

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Like many, my Fit gets much, much better mileage than EPA. My average over 14,000 miles has been 34 mpg, with a high of 43 mpg on a highway trip at 65 mph. It's fun, fun, fun to drive - I still look forward to driving it every day. The stereo is very good, but not great. People are surprised by how much interior room there is. Biggest complaint is the navi system. The POI database is so bad it's almost unusable. Missing lots of businesses and inconsistent naming which makes it really hard to find them.

Most fun and inexpensive car I've owned.

Improve ability to find POI in the Navi database. I have to know whether I'm looking for "Wal Mart", "Walmart", "Wal-Mart", "WalMart-Springfield". On my Droid phone, all I have to say is "Navigate to SPCA" and it figures it out. In my Fit I have to know exactly which category the SPCA is in.

Get the extras
By happy owner

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to and test drove Mini Cooper, Mini Clubman, Scion D etc. to replace a 1986 Toyota 4 wheel drive x'tra cab pick-up used for personal and small real estate business. With back seats down it works well to transport my mutts and for business. Did not like "paddle shifting"; standard is very responsive. Had dealer install moon-roof similar to those on accords and it is fabulous. Get all the rubber floor trays. Navigation system very useful and stability control makes my wife feel safe. Also got Plexiglas strips on doors for shade and rain protection as well as fancy door strips and a black rear bumper protector strip--all the bells and whistles.

installed moon roof, standard shift, navigation system

offer moon roof standard

Great little ride
By Steve R.

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I used this site repeatedly when deciding on which car to buy, so I feel obliged to give my opinion on a car that I contemplated for 2 years. After 3,500mi I haven't been disappointed. I am a 6'3" caterer. The car provides more usable space than my wife's Toyota Sienna. Great stereo. Turns on a dime. My first tank of gas gave me 38 mpg. Since then it has ranged from 32 to 38. I love the navigation and instrument panel. The only complaint I have is that the front end is a bit low and you need to be careful not to scrape the bottom when backing off a steep incline onto level ground. Otherwise it's been the perfect vehicle for urban/suburban driving.

Comfort, space, mpg's, stereo, dash and quickness.

Another 3" of clearance at the bottom of the front end.

Fit not for me
By Justin Slocum

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a Honda Fit Sport with the 5 speed manual gear box and overall it's a very solid car but I traded it in for the following reasons.. The steering is way too quick and downright squirrely at highway speeds.. Around town it's not really a problem but on the highway it's annoying. You're constantly keeping the car on track. Secondly, at highway speeds it seems to be very susceptible to crosswinds because of its weight and body design. I would have to white knuckle the thing going on long trips with it. Lastly, it's geared too short. You're constantly shifting and the engine drones at highway speeds. Traded up to a civic ex coupe. I wouldn't advise buying this car at all.

Reliable, Good gas mileage and tons of space.

Bigger tires, change the steering dynamics, Do something about the crosswinds susceptibility.

Nice overall package!
By hspatz

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car feels very roomy for such a small car for both people and cargo. Average is around 37 mph overall. On trips can exceed 400 miles (10 gallons) on a tank. Steering is fast, borders on twitchy over 65 mph. Handling is excellent with rear breaking loose slightly with aggressive driving. Suspension is somewhat too stiff for bad New England roads. Acceleration more than adequate with manual trans. Front sometimes touches at end of driveways--be careful. Engine noisy over 70 mph. 65 mph is sweet spot. A/C a little weak, but doesn't sap much power. Controls work well and are easy to use.

Fuel economy. Sporty handling. Interior room. Overall quality. Voice activation on Nav system. Excellent radio reception both AM and FM. Ability to store lots of stuff right in back of driver using magic seat. Fits in tiny parking spaces. No major weaknesses.

Include outside temp. Improve AM radio fidelity. Improve clutch feel. Squelch engine noise over 65 mph. Decouple Nav. system and stability control options. Include center console and floor mats on higher models. Add fuel door release. More POI on Nav system. More coverage for sun shades. Add window tint.