2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:
Mostly Great - Navi needs improvement
By Terry on 04/06/10 04:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Like many, my Fit gets much, much better mileage than EPA. My average over 14,000 miles has been 34 mpg, with a high of 43 mpg on a highway trip at 65 mph. It's fun, fun, fun to drive - I still look forward to driving it every day. The stereo is very good, but not great. People are surprised by how much interior room there is. Biggest complaint is the navi system. The POI database is so bad it's almost unusable. Missing lots of businesses and inconsistent naming which makes it really hard to find them.

Get the extras
By happy owner on 10/19/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to and test drove Mini Cooper, Mini Clubman, Scion D etc. to replace a 1986 Toyota 4 wheel drive x'tra cab pick-up used for personal and small real estate business. With back seats down it works well to transport my mutts and for business. Did not like "paddle shifting"; standard is very responsive. Had dealer install moon-roof similar to those on accords and it is fabulous. Get all the rubber floor trays. Navigation system very useful and stability control makes my wife feel safe. Also got Plexiglas strips on doors for shade and rain protection as well as fancy door strips and a black rear bumper protector strip--all the bells and whistles.

Great little ride
By Steve R. on 08/10/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I used this site repeatedly when deciding on which car to buy, so I feel obliged to give my opinion on a car that I contemplated for 2 years. After 3,500mi I haven't been disappointed. I am a 6'3" caterer. The car provides more usable space than my wife's Toyota Sienna. Great stereo. Turns on a dime. My first tank of gas gave me 38 mpg. Since then it has ranged from 32 to 38. I love the navigation and instrument panel. The only complaint I have is that the front end is a bit low and you need to be careful not to scrape the bottom when backing off a steep incline onto level ground. Otherwise it's been the perfect vehicle for urban/suburban driving.

Fit not for me
By Justin Slocum on 07/29/09 11:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a Honda Fit Sport with the 5 speed manual gear box and overall it's a very solid car but I traded it in for the following reasons.. The steering is way too quick and downright squirrely at highway speeds.. Around town it's not really a problem but on the highway it's annoying. You're constantly keeping the car on track. Secondly, at highway speeds it seems to be very susceptible to crosswinds because of its weight and body design. I would have to white knuckle the thing going on long trips with it. Lastly, it's geared too short. You're constantly shifting and the engine drones at highway speeds. Traded up to a civic ex coupe. I wouldn't advise buying this car at all.

Nice overall package!
By hspatz on 07/26/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car feels very roomy for such a small car for both people and cargo. Average is around 37 mph overall. On trips can exceed 400 miles (10 gallons) on a tank. Steering is fast, borders on twitchy over 65 mph. Handling is excellent with rear breaking loose slightly with aggressive driving. Suspension is somewhat too stiff for bad New England roads. Acceleration more than adequate with manual trans. Front sometimes touches at end of driveways--be careful. Engine noisy over 70 mph. 65 mph is sweet spot. A/C a little weak, but doesn't sap much power. Controls work well and are easy to use.

Love at first sight
By goodheart on 04/14/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I saw this "sensational blue" FIT in the show room while I was waiting on my Prelude's front light to be replaced. It does have two personalities; very cute outside and so much room inside. Drives like a butter and hugs the curve like a cat. Oh by thy way, the views from inside are magnificent- nothing will be on your way.

Update After Month Of Ownership
By David on 03/06/09 22:30 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had to update my initial review because I was amazed at the gas mileage after my most recent fill-up. I set the trip meter to zero at my last fill-up and filled up again last night with 237 miles on the trip meter. It took 6.29 gallons to fill up completely which means I got 37.7 mpg! That is with a 40/60 mix of city and hwy driving at average hwy speeds of 65 to 70 mph. I generally shift at between 3,000 rpms and 4,500 rpms, so I'm not babying the car either. What is even more amazing is I just broke 1,000 miles today and I'm getting that kind of mileage. Imagine how much better the mileage will be after the engine if fully broken in. I love this car!

Fit, Right Car At The Right Time
By David on 01/31/09 23:06 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Fit is the perfect vehicle to accommodate the new economic reality. It's relatively inexpensive to purchase, comfortable, versatile, reliable (it's a Honda!), very fuel efficient, inexpensive to insure, good looking, safe, inexpensive to maintain, and more fun to drive than any economy car has a right to be. It's simply the right car for the times.

Excellent Snow Handling
By Alan on 12/21/08 03:24 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have the Fit Sport with navi in manual transmission - it has VSA and ABS. It has excellent handling in the snow. 2 days ago we had snow here in New York, and in our area we had about 6 inches. I decided to try out the ABS system and the VSA system of the car. So I drove on streets that were not yet plowed, particularly on those with some elevation, so the car had to climb. Having manual transmission, I was able to drive slow, (the proper way of driving in snow). I was in full control all the time. Not once did the wheels spin or slide - because the VSA corrected it immediately. I was passing SUVs and minivans in the Palisades Parkway who could not make in elevated inclines.

Junk!
By Steve domanski on 10/24/08 19:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had it in the shop six time already for problems with transmission, squeaks, and rattles. Nav wont work when it rains. Water leaks. Terrible build quality.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Fit in VA is:

$112 per month*