2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:
Does everything I ask with no problems
By ahull1 on 03/18/14 10:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 09 Fit Sport MT new and have put +110k miles on with no repairs beyond preventative maintenance. The car has delivered on all the reasons that I purchased it for: very low cost of ownership, fun to drive, TONS of cargo space (with rear seats flat), and great mileage (38-40mpg). The car has handled west MI winters well, even before I purchased snow tires. Build quality has been good, although some plastic interior panels are beginning to get loose. I recommend switching from the stock tires as soon as they wear out. Overall, no complaints. The car has been a champ, and I expect it will continue to well past 200k.

Honda doesn't get "tall"
By liza9 on 11/05/13 09:23 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Bought 2009 fit in 2011, have put on 45K miles. Am 6'3", visibility is difficult, due to rear view mirror, door frame in field of vision when making turns, reflection of dashboard on window. I have a piece of black carpet on dashboard to compensate. Uncomfortable due to non-telescoping steering wheel, head rest too far forward, back rest concave in the wrong place--need to use back support. Have to tilt steering down in order to see upper part of speedometer. After 45 minutes, seat is very,very uncomfortable. Hard to steer, always over correcting on winding roads, especially at 45 mph+, maybe due to placement of engine on front axis? Needed steering wheel cover to ease grip.

Good experiment
By spudo on 08/08/13 10:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2009 Fit Sport in 2011 with 44k miles on it. We were coming out of the recession, so I thought I would try a fuel efficient small car for my job, which is a lot of highway driving. A couple thoughts: The MPG meter exaggerated the gas mileage a bit. the meter read 36.6 over 10,000 miles, the calculator said 32.35 for the same time period. I had a black exterior and interior. The combination of the big black dash along with all the glass allowed a lot of heat in the car. The air conditioning is set to cycle the compressor on and off during driving to save fuel, made it very hard to keep cool on hot days. Added an official Honda center console, very much worth the money.

Gutless Wonder
By diehard080 on 08/13/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have to be honest . Its a car that I give 5 stars to from the standpoint of reliability ,which is the only similarity to my Honda motorcycles . Other than that its so slow it can get out of its own way . I am not being mean I just think that on my numerous trips to Japan thats where this cars belongs . It dosent handle in any inspiring way and have had the front assembly pop out on small curbs that I thought I barley creased? But I hung this pup into a turn that I was following others through and it felt like it was about to roll over . And it looks like a Mini-van lacking steriods . I sold it because I need to redline it thru every gear when going 2 work getting on the fwy. too embarrasi

2009 Honda Fit Sport
By zbomb on 06/03/12 10:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Fit for about 4-5 months now and love it. I bought it with about 30k miles on it and have put about 10k on it since. I love the roominess of the fit compared to other compact cars, in both the front and back seats. I love the hatchback and the way the rear seats can fold both down or up. I drive mostly highway miles and have been averaging 38+ mpg. My car had a remote car starter installed which has also worked great.

fan of the Fit
By jtimotheus on 08/20/11 15:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

My wife researched vehicles for two years before trading in her 01 Durango for the Fit Sport, and likes it better than any car she's had. Fuel economy is great-avg. 36 btw. TX and Vegas, driving 80-85. Rides fine, walks a bit. Better in town than hwy, only complaint-hard to get blonde hair out of upholstery. Took it camping, and were able to fit all our gear in it. Fun to drive, but I've had to fix the front panel several times because she keeps backing over the curb on her way out of the driveway. Wish it had true intermittent wipers, but great sound system.

Love my Fit! Perfect for small families on a budget
By m_h on 03/07/11 10:47 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this car because we were looking for a newer model within our price range. We needed a car that would be reliable and could accommodate a child seat. We loved the look of the exterior of the Fit and its safety features. The car drives great, handles with a sporty ride. Seats are nothing fancy, but still comfy and durable. We can fit my son's car seat in if he is forward-facing, or rear-facing with myself in front of him. My husband is 6 ft 2" and cannot sit in front of my son's car seat when it is rear-facing and positioned behind the driver seat. The car seat cannot be put in the center seat.

Best small car!
By Fitlover on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Previously, I owned a Nissan sentra with which I was very happy for 20 yrs. (yes!). Finally decided it was time for a new car. Researched well. Drove the versa, yaris and fit. Loved the fit. Handled like a sports car and was very comfortable with many safety features not standard on the others. Interior is very thoughtfully designed, with many little 'holders' for various things.

Could be better
By britlad on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I wanted the Insight but the Fit was roomier and cheaper. I had to pay the extra for the sport of course as the base didn't have cruise or keyless entry. I like the styling, roominess and the magic seat. Reviewers have said the mpg calculator is optimistic to the tune of 2 or 3 mpg, yikes! that means I'm only getting 26 mpg around town and I don't even have a lead foot so I can't really praise the fuel economy in my case. The thing that bugs me most about it is the low front clearance, my son pulled out of the drive and pulled out the front body panel. I was able to push most of it back in but it has popped back out several times since, when there's a dip in the road and now it's all scraped

Best Gas Mileage Ever
By edwin delaney on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this 2009 Fit 13 months ago under the cash for clunkers program and have not reset the Avg MPG indicator yet. As of today it shows that my MPG avg from the day I bought is 40.0 MPG.It runs better than any car I have ever owned. And I have owned a lot of them .I bought my first car in 1946. It was a 1934 ford. If it wasn't for the Cash for Clunkers Program I would still be driving my old van getting around 17 MPG and it being in the repair shop too much.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Fit in VA is:

$98 per month*