Used 2009 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Does everything I ask with no problems
By ahull1

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 09 Fit Sport MT new and have put +110k miles on with no repairs beyond preventative maintenance. The car has delivered on all the reasons that I purchased it for: very low cost of ownership, fun to drive, TONS of cargo space (with rear seats flat), and great mileage (38-40mpg). The car has handled west MI winters well, even before I purchased snow tires. Build quality has been good, although some plastic interior panels are beginning to get loose. I recommend switching from the stock tires as soon as they wear out. Overall, no complaints. The car has been a champ, and I expect it will continue to well past 200k.

- 38-40mpg - +100k miles with no repairs - Fun to drive, great MT, good engine sound - Very versatile cargo space - iPod compatibility is great

- better ergonomics. The car is made for people with short legs and long arms. I'm 6'3", so I either have my knees against the wheel (seat forward) or get tight shoulders from reaching for the wheel (seat back). - road noise is high, but not unusually high for an economy car. I've found putting a blanket under the rear floor helps.

Honda doesn't get "tall"
By liza9

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Bought 2009 fit in 2011, have put on 45K miles. Am 6'3", visibility is difficult, due to rear view mirror, door frame in field of vision when making turns, reflection of dashboard on window. I have a piece of black carpet on dashboard to compensate. Uncomfortable due to non-telescoping steering wheel, head rest too far forward, back rest concave in the wrong place--need to use back support. Have to tilt steering down in order to see upper part of speedometer. After 45 minutes, seat is very,very uncomfortable. Hard to steer, always over correcting on winding roads, especially at 45 mph+, maybe due to placement of engine on front axis? Needed steering wheel cover to ease grip.

Oh the flexibility. And the gas mileage--around 32 mpg--lower than promised but good for 4 door car. I was able to move a full size office desk with hatch tied down a few inches. (And a table tied to the roof!) Was able to move a cabinet with 2 passengers due to split folding back seats. Have moved haybales, bushes, various small furniture & supplies, college students, etc. 3 tall (6 ft+) & 1 regular sized adult, and one 9 year old fit pretty comfortably for less than 1/2 hour trips. Like this almost as much as my old Eagle Summit Wagon for space--the folding seats are a great advantage.

Seat height flexibility, less concave back support, head rest less forward-angled, seat much more cushioned, not sure what to do about dashboard reflection, make the steering easier, have a larger and telescoping steering wheel in addition to tilt, variable speed wipers, headlights less blinding to other drivers

Good experiment
By spudo

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2009 Fit Sport in 2011 with 44k miles on it. We were coming out of the recession, so I thought I would try a fuel efficient small car for my job, which is a lot of highway driving. A couple thoughts: The MPG meter exaggerated the gas mileage a bit. the meter read 36.6 over 10,000 miles, the calculator said 32.35 for the same time period. I had a black exterior and interior. The combination of the big black dash along with all the glass allowed a lot of heat in the car. The air conditioning is set to cycle the compressor on and off during driving to save fuel, made it very hard to keep cool on hot days. Added an official Honda center console, very much worth the money.

Decent mileage, very large inside compared to how it looks outside. I am 6 foot 200 lbs, seemed very roomy in the driver's seat, adding the console/armrest made it more comfortable. Ingenious hauling and storage options. Fun to drive with paddle shifting on Sport. Typical Honda reliability, would go 9-10,000 miles between oil changes. Tires cheap to replace. All in all great car for mainly city driving.

Lighten the color of the dash, maybe reduce some glass area. The abundant glass allows a large greenhouse effect, the black dash soaks up unbelievable heat, and the compressor cycling means hard to keep car cool when in the 90's. We would put a white towel on the dash to help reflect rays. Also the way the sun shines in there much of the time you can't read your gauges. Add the console standard.

Gutless Wonder
By diehard080

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have to be honest . Its a car that I give 5 stars to from the standpoint of reliability ,which is the only similarity to my Honda motorcycles . Other than that its so slow it can get out of its own way . I am not being mean I just think that on my numerous trips to Japan thats where this cars belongs . It dosent handle in any inspiring way and have had the front assembly pop out on small curbs that I thought I barley creased? But I hung this pup into a turn that I was following others through and it felt like it was about to roll over . And it looks like a Mini-van lacking steriods . I sold it because I need to redline it thru every gear when going 2 work getting on the fwy. too embarrasi

easy to sell

add a car engine and remove the motorcyle engine.

2009 Honda Fit Sport
By zbomb

2009 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Fit for about 4-5 months now and love it. I bought it with about 30k miles on it and have put about 10k on it since. I love the roominess of the fit compared to other compact cars, in both the front and back seats. I love the hatchback and the way the rear seats can fold both down or up. I drive mostly highway miles and have been averaging 38+ mpg. My car had a remote car starter installed which has also worked great.

-10 Cup Holders -Folding Seats -Great Gas Mileage -Audio port and USB Charger

I'm not crazy about the upholstery on the seats but not a big deal. They are very soft, but fuzz/hair sticks to it. However, for the price I think it's alright, and I was more concerned with having a well-built reliable car.