2008 Honda Fit Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2008 Fit Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Sort Reviews by

Love My Car!
By LeahInLaguna

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The last time I filled my Jeep it cost me $74, and vowed the following weekend to get rid of it. I wanted a Honda Civic, but after driving that and the Fit I was hooked on the Fit! This is an amazing big car stuck in a little car body. The outside appears to be so compact yet once inside there is so much room it's unbelievable. I am happy with aspect of this car so far. The cargo capacity is huge and the comfort is what's expected of a small car, so not bad at all. The ability to maintain in traffic is there, I have no trouble with acceleration or braking; I am so pleased with the performance I sometimes forget I am driving a compact car! I would recommend to anybody with kids and pets!

Favorite Features

Cruise control, radio, aux for playing my Ipod, 6 speakers, surprising leg room and head room, easy viewing through all windows and ability to look behind while driving, no real blind spots, solid feel while at higher speeds, all seats fold flat, easy on the eyes instrument panel.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel, arm rests, that's it!

Still in Love
By ellenoc

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I now have 5,000 miles on my Fit - all in winter. Average of all fuel use is 36 mpg. When I first started looking for a new car, I fell in love with the Fit. Looked at half a dozen probably suitable models and the Fit was the only one that affected me that way. Everything about it suited what I needed, and test drives on highway and suburban roads were FUN! Still have trouble believing such an economical car has features such as ABS brakes, cruise control, and so many safety features my insurance is no higher than for the 10-yr old car I replaced. And the car is CUTE. Still haven't gotten over how cute. Unlike some others, I like the TPMS. It's worked for me.

Favorite Features

The magic seats and the way they leave a flat floor with no gap behind the front seats. A flat floor and roomy back were the features I had to have in a new car since I take my large dog and all her equipment to shows regularly.

Suggested Improvements

I accept that this is an economy car and can't have every feature someone would like without becoming far more expensive. Keeping that in mind the only thing I'd change would be the color of the interior. The black shows every bit of dirt, lint and hair to the point I got seat covers.

Unbelievable Value
By Connecticut Man

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just got the car a month ago. Originally read that it would be too small for me. I'm over 6 feet tall. This car is big enough for me and people taller than me with no problems. It has huge interior and cargo area. It performs like a sports car. Unlike other people reviewing this car, I have no problems with road noise at 80 mph, and can hear the radio just fine. It has a stiff suspension so on bumpy roads, these will transmit into the cockpit, but on most good roads the ride is quiet.

Favorite Features

I test drove the Automatic but didn't like the acceleration. The Manual is much much peppier but has no neat paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The gas mileage is great. I've gotten over 40 mpg regularly. It turns on a dime, even at faster speeds.

Suggested Improvements

The Sport model has a tilt steering wheel, and needs a telescopic feature. The car "desperately" needs an armrest to reach the steering in comfort during long drives. The plastic material (black)and seat material picks up dust too easily, and isn't easy to remove. The pedals are too close together.

Best Car We Could Have Bought
By Don

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We needed a good commuter car that was reasonably priced and good gas mileage. After reading all the reviews I could find, it became apparent the Fit was the way to go. We were sold on it at as soon as we test drove one. In our area it was hard to find the Sport with the manual transmission. We love this car, it is amazing how such a small car can fit 4 large people fairly comfortably. For the price it is the best deal out there.

Favorite Features

Just about everything.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest between front seats.

Pleasant surprise
By bpenn

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is for anyone like me that was very hesitant to buy such a little car. I wrestled back and forth between the Civic and Mazda3 wagon. When I sold my gas guzzling truck for less than I hoped to get for it I only could afford the Fit. I've only had this a short time but I could not be happier with the Fit. This thing feels so much bigger inside then what it looks like. I find it to be a huge surprise and I'm relly digging this little thing. If you are walking the fence on this car I would suggest taking a long test drive. You may find what I found. This is a great car and Honda will have a huge hit on there hands.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and roomy interior. Paddle shifters are fun. Great gas mileage. Sport package steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Little things like driver side visor mirror. Center armrest.

Over all a good car
By 700312

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

First, going from a V6 to a 4 cyl engine is a huge adjustment. The blue back lit display is very easy to read. Nice large display. My biggest complaint is that the engine does not like to accelerate. Especially from a stop. Once it gets going it is ok. I recently moved and being able to fold down the back seats flat helped a lot in moving. Given the attention to safety that Honda gives, it is too bad that the ABS, traction control, and stability control are not standard features. The steering wheel does not telescope so I am having to reach and there is no center console. I have been doing mostly city driving in heavy traffic so the gas mileage is not what it was advertised to be.

Favorite Features

Fold down back seats for larger cargo area. The back seats also fold up like a folding chair so a bike or other object can be placed between the front seats and the back seats. The gas milage. I can go 10-14 days without having to put any gas in the tank. With my other car it was every 5 days.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car 12-18" wider and 24" longer. A center console between the driver and front passenger. ABS/traction control/stability control as standard safety features. Tilt steering-not one that slides up and down. Larger engine (a 1.8 or 2 ltr). Pwr doors that lock when the car is put in gear.

It's a little buzz box
By Bob Howland

2008 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pro: Great space utilization. Quick and direct handling. Incredibly good gear shift linkage. Good interior controls. Fairly economical (33MPH in northern winter). Adequate horsepower for my purposes. Con: Very short wheelbase yields a somewhat choppy ride. VERY firm suspension doesn't help. Lots of wind and tire noise at 75 MPH, so high that I won't use the radio above 65MPH. Geared short - 20MPH/1kRPM, which makes noise worse. Wanted to buy a set of snow tires the the tire pressure sensors double the per wheel cost. My 1997 Honda Civic got better gas mileage. I just wish I hadn't totaled it.

Favorite Features

Steering and shift linkage. They're just superb.

Suggested Improvements

It badly needs a sixth gear or a higher geared 5th, something that yields 25MPH/1KRPM

Excellent
By ken

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Excellent, good handling good audio, easy to drive, excellent on gas, very roomy, fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Easy on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system.

Not Disappointed Yet!
By Happy in FLA

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I got one of the first Fit's available in '06 when they were introduced (05/06) and I have put 40,000 happy commuter miles on it so far. The car is tight handling and the paddle shifters option works great as a way to zip around traffic without smashing the gas peddle. I've had zero maintainence issues. Honda did a good job at building a reliable and sporty Econo box.

Favorite Features

The magic seats and the hatch back tray. My kid and dogs love riding around in this thing!

Suggested Improvements

Armrest, passenger side make up mirror, and rear bumper applique should be standard.

2008 Fit Sport, Audio System
By Portulaca

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle handles well and is a joy to drive. However, the road noise is greater than what I expected and the radio reception is unacceptable with constant static on local FM stations. The radio is fine as long as the car is not in motion. It immediately begins to crackle when in motion. The car has plenty of power for it's size and the gas mileage is wonderful. The head rests are set at a severe angle for short people and can't be adjusted unless a person removes them and reinstalls them backwards, with the angle toward the back seat.

Favorite Features

Good seat belt placement (doesn't rub neck). Great handling and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

This car has an inferior sound system. I've been told there is "nothing the dealer can do" to improve the static that is constant on local FM stations. I believe the antenna is too short to be effectively receive FM signals. Honda needs to rectify this defect.