Used 2008 Honda Fit Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

2008 Honda Fit Sport 169k BULLETPROOF RELIABILITY
By taushamccarthy@yahoo.com

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Seats are stiff - that's my only complaint. Like others have said, car is bulletproof reliable, has awesome cargo configurations, and no significant repairs. I have found the original tires to be meager - at best. I had to have them replaced at 40k miles. Brakes done twice, tires twice and that's it. Everything works on the car and the rear cargo seat configurations have been fantastic! I drive it like mad - cross country multiple times, which is when the stiff seats bug me. They don't bother me otherwise. The car is an economy car and mine is a manual, which gets me about 40mpg. I drive the automatic and felt like the manual got much better performance, but I also just like manuals. All my cars have been sticks - this one has a tight gearbox, which took some getting used to - but I have had no issues with the transmission (or anything for that matter). My gf has a 2009 with about the same mileage - it's also a manual. There's very little difference between them drive-wise. Sound is good and I love the USB. The rear seats fold flat or fold upright for better vertical space. I have been surprised what all I can fit into it. I have used it to move multiple times. It handles really well. I'm finished with grad school now and feel like it's time to trade up but I can't find anything that is as solid and fun to drive. All these newer cars seem to have issues OR get crappy gas mileage OR come with a huge monthly payment... so for now, I'll be keeping this one.

My 150,000 mile Fit experience
By leebabysimms

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 7 years, I put 150,000 miles on a new 2008 Honda Fit Sport and just sold it — completing my experience. I found the car to be exceptionally fun to drive, with insane cargo capabilities, and bulletproof reliability. I made so many great memories with this car and smile whenever I see one (in my color) on the road. My intense satisfaction was only dashed when I drove the new 2015 Fit I had planned to replace it with. Immediately, if felt like Honda killed my fun little car and I moved on to another car maker (I replaced with a 2015 Toyota Corolla S Plus).

Super responsive handling for the price — genuinely fun to drive. Great manual gear box (up to the Honda legend). Well positioned steering wheel with nice leather wrap (Sport model). Innovative folding seats that offered surprising cargo hauling dividends over and over in 7 years of ownership. Great rear end crash protection — I walked away after being rear ended at 35+MPH by a large SUV (the Fit was repaired well, and remained a solid performer). Very reliable — almost no unscheduled repairs in 150,000 miles. Outstanding resale value.

The seats were not designed for comfortable long trips. I would get neck fatigue from being a "bobble head" on drives over 50 miles that I don't get on our other vehicles. Also, the seat material was not as stain resistant as other Honda's I had owned in the past — particularly on the otherwise attractive Grey inserts. Faded coffee stains remain for the life of the car (I recommend sheepskin seat covers). Finally, the car's feather weight doesn't make it a wise vehicle for mountainous snow driving unless you make an investment in top-performing snow tires.

Gutless Wonder
By ronsbiz

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Honda Fit in 2012 with 37,000 miles, and have since put 91,000 on it. Like some Honda's, this is a well built, functional car but not well engineered. I can't explain why Honda has a penchant for putting under-powered engines in their cars (like the 2.0L engine in early CR-V's), but here they did it again. 109 horsepower and 106 pounds of torque may be fine for over-taxed and over-regulated Europeans, but when you are competing with V-8's for lane space on American highways, 109 horse's relegates you to the slow lane. I understand the new Fit's have 117 horse's, but the vehicle has gotten bigger since 2008 as well,so you're back to square one. If Honda were to offer the 1.8L en

Smooth transmission, nimble handling.

If you call something a "sport", add a sporty engine.

Excellent, Only Minor Complaints
By ozziepuppy

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome room inside and very creative use of space. Friend had leg surgery: We were able to put down the front seat (flat) & she sat in back with her leg completely extended. Transported a 9x12 rug with no problem. Got 42 mpg on a road trip out west. Minor complaints: the Sport trim hangs too low and gets scratched up easily. My fog lights have both broken twice (not protected enough?). No map lights. Road noise. Overall, though, a nearly perfect car in terms of economy, excellent use of space, being fun to drive, and (dare I say it?) basic cuteness. This is an AWESOME car for the price!!

The way the seats fold down flat. Being able to sit in the back right seat with the front right seat all the way down so you can extend your leg(s). Folding up the back seats to get 4' of vertical space. Excellent gas mileage. The way the car looks. The go-kart driving experience.

Fog lights should be better protected from rocks and debris. There should be map lights. The sport trim side skirts should not hang down so low. A little more insulation (less road noise) and plushier seats would be nice.

Glad I got it....
By Gringotimo

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Fit at the end of December and have driven it through ice, snow, rain, and dry. So far, I am completely satisfied in every way. As many reviews I read stated, it exceeds the stated gas mileage under all conditions. By driving around 65 mph, it usually gets around 37-38 mpg on the highway. No dragster, it still has enough pep to handle most situations easily. One of the few negatives I've noticed is the design of the rear roof posts. When backing out of a diagonal parking space, the one on the right rear corner obstructs the driver's view; not enough to be a hazard, more of a nuisance. Overall, it's a nice handling, comfortable, little car that feels like a much larger car.

Very roomy interior for the size of the car. The rear seats fold down flat(in the hatchback) allowing loading pretty large objects in the rear. The stereo reads MP3 CDs and has an MP3 player jack so you can carry all your favorite music in the console. The hood is very short giving great visibility.

Gear 4th and 5th a little taller so it will run at a little lower RPM at highway speeds. From the throttle response, I think it would handle it. With the current gear ratios, the gears feel abnormally close together when downshifting around corners.

• SUV