Used 2008 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Happy with my fit UNTIL 150,000!! BEWARE!
By matt331

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I would say up until a couple of months ago I would rated my Honda Fit a easy 5 out 5 stars UNTIL I crossed the 150,000 mark. I will let it be known I've been the sole owner of this car and have all maintenance done at Honda (oil changes/inspections). Since passing the 150k mark I've had the car towed twice once for a bad fuel pump ($700) the second time because the accelerator coils and water pump went out completely. The second issue ended up costing around $1500 because valve adjustments and new parts. The check engine light has come on several times since and needless to say I'm now afraid of driving this thing down the street. So beware after 150k, it's a money pit!

My 150,000 mile Fit experience
By leebabysimms

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 7 years, I put 150,000 miles on a new 2008 Honda Fit Sport and just sold it — completing my experience. I found the car to be exceptionally fun to drive, with insane cargo capabilities, and bulletproof reliability. I made so many great memories with this car and smile whenever I see one (in my color) on the road. My intense satisfaction was only dashed when I drove the new 2015 Fit I had planned to replace it with. Immediately, if felt like Honda killed my fun little car and I moved on to another car maker (I replaced with a 2015 Toyota Corolla S Plus).

Super responsive handling for the price — genuinely fun to drive. Great manual gear box (up to the Honda legend). Well positioned steering wheel with nice leather wrap (Sport model). Innovative folding seats that offered surprising cargo hauling dividends over and over in 7 years of ownership. Great rear end crash protection — I walked away after being rear ended at 35+MPH by a large SUV (the Fit was repaired well, and remained a solid performer). Very reliable — almost no unscheduled repairs in 150,000 miles. Outstanding resale value.

The seats were not designed for comfortable long trips. I would get neck fatigue from being a "bobble head" on drives over 50 miles that I don't get on our other vehicles. Also, the seat material was not as stain resistant as other Honda's I had owned in the past — particularly on the otherwise attractive Grey inserts. Faded coffee stains remain for the life of the car (I recommend sheepskin seat covers). Finally, the car's feather weight doesn't make it a wise vehicle for mountainous snow driving unless you make an investment in top-performing snow tires.

Gutless Wonder
By ronsbiz

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Honda Fit in 2012 with 37,000 miles, and have since put 91,000 on it. Like some Honda's, this is a well built, functional car but not well engineered. I can't explain why Honda has a penchant for putting under-powered engines in their cars (like the 2.0L engine in early CR-V's), but here they did it again. 109 horsepower and 106 pounds of torque may be fine for over-taxed and over-regulated Europeans, but when you are competing with V-8's for lane space on American highways, 109 horse's relegates you to the slow lane. I understand the new Fit's have 117 horse's, but the vehicle has gotten bigger since 2008 as well,so you're back to square one. If Honda were to offer the 1.8L en

Smooth transmission, nimble handling.

If you call something a "sport", add a sporty engine.

Over 4 years later, still love it and no problems!
By cyanosissaur

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in June 2008 for the price, style, space, and gas mileage. They were hard to get a hold of in my area because of popularity at the time, so I got lucky when mine arrived on a truck that the dealer wasn't expecting. I still love it. Aside from routine maintenance, I've had no problems with the car. That's even after being hit by another driver two separate times, so most of the body has been repaired. I drive from Ohio to Connecticut a lot and don't have a problem on long trips or in the city. Sure, there's road noise, but what do you expect from a compact car for the price? The road noise gets worse as tires wear, so new and well kept tires make a big difference!

- Love that the rear seats fold down for cargo space. I can fit a papasan chair or disassembled desk inside, and have moved apartments using this car at least 3 times. - Enjoy the blue lights on the interior controls and dash. - My 6'4" husband can drive or ride in it comfortably, even for the 12 hour trip from Ohio to Connecticut. And for 5'2" me, it offers plenty of space. - Gas mileage is still excellent.

- Different intervals on rear wiper (it's either on or off, there's no intermittent setting). - Map lights. - Heated side mirrors. - Beeping for seat belt in front passenger seat never stops when it "detects" enough weight! I know this after it beeped for a 4 hour drive moving when I had stuff piled on the front seat. - On driver's side floor, they put some sort of waterproof there, so the floor mat slides around rather than stays put - Note, I do not have the specific mats that are designed for the car, so it could just be the mat. - My actual buying experience and customer service from the Honda dealer where I purchased the car was AWFUL, but despite that the car was totally worth it

Reliable After 4 Years of Ownership
By strawberries

2008 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This car is our daily driver. We have had zero issues with this car. The car is still using the original light bulbs from day one! Just regular semi annual service at the dealership. This car can hold a lot of stuff with the seats folded down.

Cargo size, brakes, low maintenance cost, and handling

This car needs a telescoping steering wheel and slightly softer suspension. The handling is excellent, but soften the suspension a little bit.