Used 2008 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews - 192 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Fit - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Fun to drive and kept it's value.
By Donna L.

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Fun to drive and so useful. Holds large grocery orders or gardening supplies. Twice the driver side visor clip broke and twice the cruise control had to be fixed. Only other problem was blue paint turned white in large spots on roof and hood. Only happened in 8th year of ownership. Even with unsightly paint the trade-in value was $6600. I was very impressed. Replaced this car with 2016 Honda Fit-EX. Loved original car and now love my new one.

great little car, still going strong
By Dee

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I brought my '08 Fit Sport used at 10k miles. I love the small foot-print when driving in the urban area, fuel economy, exceptional cargo space, flexible backseat configurations, and most of all - Honda reliability. I've only put 60k on it so far. No major issues (knock on wood) with only synthetic oil changes every 5-6k miles as indicated by the oil meter. Fuel economy is good at around 26mpg around town and 33mpg on hwy. Nevertheless, these are still good numbers even though I've read 40+mpg on some other reviews. I dont know much about car dynamics, but I feel the car steering is precise. 109hp is not excellent, but with manual transmission, it is way much more responsive than automatic transmission when stepping on the throttle (instead of hearing the engine revving, then the power comes in a second or two later). After 7 years of ownership, I've started car hunting again in hope to get a subcompact/compact SUV. However, I have yet found an ideal replacement for my beloved Fit. Until then, I am still a happy Fit owner.

Things I like:
leather-wrapped steering wheel (you wont get this now unless paying for the top-of-the-line trim model $$)
Magic Seat!
ergonomic & simple layout for audio controls
easy to read odometer & tachometer (love the blue color)

Things I dislike:
road noise - very pronounced on highways, especially compared to my sister's new 2016 Fit

2008 Honda Fit Sport 169k BULLETPROOF RELIABILITY
By taushamccarthy@yahoo.com

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Seats are stiff - that's my only complaint. Like others have said, car is bulletproof reliable, has awesome cargo configurations, and no significant repairs. I have found the original tires to be meager - at best. I had to have them replaced at 40k miles. Brakes done twice, tires twice and that's it. Everything works on the car and the rear cargo seat configurations have been fantastic! I drive it like mad - cross country multiple times, which is when the stiff seats bug me. They don't bother me otherwise. The car is an economy car and mine is a manual, which gets me about 40mpg. I drive the automatic and felt like the manual got much better performance, but I also just like manuals. All my cars have been sticks - this one has a tight gearbox, which took some getting used to - but I have had no issues with the transmission (or anything for that matter). My gf has a 2009 with about the same mileage - it's also a manual. There's very little difference between them drive-wise. Sound is good and I love the USB. The rear seats fold flat or fold upright for better vertical space. I have been surprised what all I can fit into it. I have used it to move multiple times. It handles really well. I'm finished with grad school now and feel like it's time to trade up but I can't find anything that is as solid and fun to drive. All these newer cars seem to have issues OR get crappy gas mileage OR come with a huge monthly payment... so for now, I'll be keeping this one.

Happy with my fit UNTIL 150,000!! BEWARE!
By matt331

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I would say up until a couple of months ago I would rated my Honda Fit a easy 5 out 5 stars UNTIL I crossed the 150,000 mark. I will let it be known I've been the sole owner of this car and have all maintenance done at Honda (oil changes/inspections). Since passing the 150k mark I've had the car towed twice once for a bad fuel pump ($700) the second time because the accelerator coils and water pump went out completely. The second issue ended up costing around $1500 because valve adjustments and new parts. The check engine light has come on several times since and needless to say I'm now afraid of driving this thing down the street. So beware after 150k, it's a money pit!

My 150,000 mile Fit experience
By leebabysimms

2008 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 7 years, I put 150,000 miles on a new 2008 Honda Fit Sport and just sold it — completing my experience. I found the car to be exceptionally fun to drive, with insane cargo capabilities, and bulletproof reliability. I made so many great memories with this car and smile whenever I see one (in my color) on the road. My intense satisfaction was only dashed when I drove the new 2015 Fit I had planned to replace it with. Immediately, if felt like Honda killed my fun little car and I moved on to another car maker (I replaced with a 2015 Toyota Corolla S Plus).

Super responsive handling for the price — genuinely fun to drive. Great manual gear box (up to the Honda legend). Well positioned steering wheel with nice leather wrap (Sport model). Innovative folding seats that offered surprising cargo hauling dividends over and over in 7 years of ownership. Great rear end crash protection — I walked away after being rear ended at 35+MPH by a large SUV (the Fit was repaired well, and remained a solid performer). Very reliable — almost no unscheduled repairs in 150,000 miles. Outstanding resale value.

The seats were not designed for comfortable long trips. I would get neck fatigue from being a "bobble head" on drives over 50 miles that I don't get on our other vehicles. Also, the seat material was not as stain resistant as other Honda's I had owned in the past — particularly on the otherwise attractive Grey inserts. Faded coffee stains remain for the life of the car (I recommend sheepskin seat covers). Finally, the car's feather weight doesn't make it a wise vehicle for mountainous snow driving unless you make an investment in top-performing snow tires.