July 2012 EV Fit
By srl99 on
2013 Honda Fit EV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)
We've tried a lot of the "working man's" electric cars and PHEVs, and this is the first one that provides us the total package. Start with the "lease", which includes vehicle damage insurance. 3 years is a reasonable amount of time, and the total outlay over 3 years isn't bad. Especially because you only need to provide liability insurance (with moderate limits). While we've only been driving the car for a few days, the first outing was approx 60 miles, mostly freeway, and we ended that with 33% charge left. [Much of the time in Eco mode, and no AC or heat]. The next trip was about 50 miles, driven more normally, some AC, and ended with about 50% charge remaining. 100 mile range possible?
Favorite Features
Driver room. Sport mode acceleration. Overall packaging.
Suggested Improvements
Nav system needs an update, both of software and the maps. An EV really should come with a very complete list of EV charging stations. Fortunately there are many resources on the web. Would like to see the large (Nav, backup camera screen) used for vehicle data. Cargo cover.
By mb92865
on 06/02/13 13:50 PM (PDT)

Honda just announced $259 per mo lease deals on the 2013 Fit EV. I filled out the online form & got a call from the local Honda dealer here in Anaheim area the next day. Called him back & all he did was try to sell me a DIFFERENT car. All the reasons why it was not a good idea for me & blah blah blah... My guess is theirs not enough profit in in for them. What a waste of my time. The car buying experience needs to evolve from the greasy salesman trying to get over on you. I hope Honda & the other manufacturers set up corporate owned stores so one could go in and shop like a normal shopping experience.

By cpalace
on 06/06/13 06:24 AM (PDT)

Just ordered my Fit EV on Monday in Princeton NJ. I did not get the runaround as mb92865. Went online and was pre-approved in a few hours, went to the dealer and ordered the car. Salesperson asked if I had any questions and went through the paperwork and was out in 45 minutes. Some of the questions I asked the Salesperson, he didn't have the answer but he made a few calls and called me back for updates. Here are some Pros and Cons that are not so obvious (if you are getting this car, you know the obvious benefits and limitations). Pros: Up to $1000 tax credit if you install the home charging station at your primary residence. (Until the end of the year). Get a licenced electrician as Honda's "Official" installer Leviton charges $695+. I got a local licenced electrican for half that amount. In NJ, there is NO Sales Tax for ZEV (zero emission vehicules). Check your states website to see if the Fit EV is tax exempt (Saved $650) Got my employer to install a charging station at work. We have other employees with EV cars (Leaf and Volt). They get a tax break on installing one. Cons: No spare tire (Ouch) Some Public charging stations require card or membership (Blink, Chargepoint, etc...) Winter months will be brutal for the battery Limited availablity (1100 cars total for the US). As of this writing, the dealer where I got the car sold 4 Fit EVs, including mine, in 3 days where they sold that many for the entire year. (due to price drop). Demand will be high. Insurance company did not have the car in the system (due to limited production) and I had to get a quote on a regular Fit until I get the VIN number. For leases, insurance co. requires comp and collision if you wanted to get liability (for my insurance co. anyways) and I have to provide proof of collision coverage from Honda before I get a waiver. Just another step but well worth it. Public charging stations are spotty at best, even in big cities like NY. Make sure you have an extension cord in the car. I knew more about the car than the Salesperson Worried about the maintenance since the head mechanic in my dealership needs to be trained on it. NOTE: These are my experiences and your experience may be different depending on your dealer and the area where you driving the Fit. Hope this helps.