2009 Honda Element SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:
Happy Overall
By Iggy Flop on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Owned this car for a little over a year now and the experience has been a good one overall. It's fun to drive, It feels solidly built, and I've yet to have any mechanical problems with it. Is is fairly flexible, But don't expect to be moving any couches or other bulky items. It's deceptively short, and if you really wanna pack it, you've got to lose the rear seats all together, which thankfully is fairly easy. Yes they flip up, but they bulge a good bit which takes up space. Not to mention block all visibility out of the right / rear window (kind of an important one if you're a lane changer). My biggest problem though is that the paint is chipping/ spidering, and Honda will not help.

Love our Element
By Otown Jim on 02/13/10 18:24 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We really love our Element. We purchased the vehicle to make it easier to transport our dog (Samoyed). The removable seats in the back are perfect and the room once removed is terrific. The Element handles well in the snow (took it to Montana through multiple snowstorms during Thanksgiving week). Lastly, our boy Buck just loves his new car! Excellent choice for dog lovers and people needing some additional cargo room.

I smile whenever I get behind the wheel
By Madison on 02/07/10 16:51 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have been wanting one of these since the first year they came out. I am not disappointed and would have taken the plunge sooner but my 97 Honda Odyssey just would not wear out. I finally passed it on to someone who appreciated it. The Element has it all - my dog agrees. Plenty of space, fun to drive, Honda reliability and goes thru the snow and ice in Wisconsin like you're driving in July. The clamshell doors are kind of a pain in a tight parking lot but you figure it out. The stereo system is great and the satellite radio rocks. I like being able to just take my bike at the end of a ride and roll it into the back end. The floor cleans up from muddy dogs with ease.

Element SC
By Ben in Yorba Linda on 10/18/09 19:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Element SUV SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Recently purchased, put first 1K miles on her today. Overall excellent car, feels very safe. For only a 4 cylinder I am averaging only 20 miles per gallon. Interior is cheap for the most part, especially considering it is a $24K rig. Cheap plastic steering wheel, no ipod controls and no security system come standard, you have to add them as accessories. Wake up Honda and make these standard. Heavy orange peel in paint. Extremely vulnerable to chips. This is unacceptable for any modern vehicle.

I LOVE My Element! : )
By VERY HAPPY : ) on 09/25/09 21:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just traded in our 2008 Honda Accord EX for the Element. I have to say I'm very happy with it. IT's very roomy and safe feeling. My children are 6'1" and 6'3" and they sit comfortable in the back seat. The seats have to be reclined some because my tallest sons head will touch the ceiling. The ride is smooth. You don't feel every bump in the road either like we felt in the Accord. The lights don't blink constantly like our Honda Accords did. My husband loves our new Element also. It's so much fun to drive. You won't feel claustrophobic. We have had a 2004 and a 2007 Suburban LT, a Chrysler 300 touring and even though they were more luxurious The Element is our favorite.

Very Pleased
By Buy One! on 09/24/09 03:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Looked at these when I bought my last new vehicle in 2006, finally bought one this summer. You will not be disappointed. Great utility, handling, looks. Comfortable unless you are in the back seat, although there is plenty of room there - just rough ride when sitting on the rear wheel well. Great stereo, fun to drive, good gas mileage. Wish I'd bought one sooner and considering buying another one since my daughter has hijacked this one! GREAT value for the price.

Great but not without flaws
By jack31 on 08/15/09 10:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Overall great car have had no problems getting the kids in and out of the back (one in car seat), maneuvers nicely and has plenty of power though is no race car. Gas mileage is around 23.5mpg city. Functionality of the vehicle is nice. The interior room is fantastic even for tall people like me (6'3"). Here are the bad points for me; as a passenger I am quite comfortable however driving is another story. I can't seem to get into a truly comfortable position drivers seat adjusted too low hurts hips, too high can't see traffic lights, telescoping steering wheel would help also. I'm thin and seat could use more cushion. Wife loves car and it's hers so it's ok. Road noise can be LOUD.

Really Love This Car
By Francois on 08/12/09 15:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Elements have long caught my eye, and with passing years I've known more and more people who have and love them. We finally took the plunge and wish we hadn't waited so long. It's a great car for all our needs. We took it on a camping trip recently and got fantastic mileage. The doors feel and sound as solid as our old Volvo-- impressively heavy metal. Great handling, and we love those wide doors for packing and unloading.

Nice vehicle, but specialized intent
By Mike on 08/12/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased my Element new as part of cash for clunkers program, after looking at it for several years. What attracted me to this car is that it has a very flexible interior that allows you to haul lots of different things. Both rear seats fold up or can be removed, leaving you with a totally flat load floor. Access to the interior is very good from both the back and side. The interior is very practical with rubber flooring and an excellent sound system. The EX now comes with XM satellite included, and also has a power port and aux jack in the dash that works great for an ipod. The exterior is a box. But I like it.

Great Car
By BobMac3 on 07/02/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've always had Subarus but have found the maintenance costly in the last several years so I've switched to a Honda Element LX. I've only had it a day but love it already. The process of buying was very easy. There aren't many used or new Es in my area of Concord, NH and I'm looking forward to a long relationship. I thought the sunroof was impractical because it was in the rear where my Belgian Sheepdogs ride and it made the area too hot plus without the sunroof it was better insulated and quieter.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Element Suv in NJ is:

$194 per month*