Used 2009 Honda Element Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Happy Overall
By Iggy Flop

2009 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Owned this car for a little over a year now and the experience has been a good one overall. It's fun to drive, It feels solidly built, and I've yet to have any mechanical problems with it. Is is fairly flexible, But don't expect to be moving any couches or other bulky items. It's deceptively short, and if you really wanna pack it, you've got to lose the rear seats all together, which thankfully is fairly easy. Yes they flip up, but they bulge a good bit which takes up space. Not to mention block all visibility out of the right / rear window (kind of an important one if you're a lane changer). My biggest problem though is that the paint is chipping/ spidering, and Honda will not help.

Favorite Features

reliable, feels good to drive, easy to clean interior, XM radio

Suggested Improvements

The radio is a far reach from the drivers seat, makes it really hard / uncomfortable to navigate through 150+ XM channels. And 10 presets are simply not enough. If the radio and the automatic shifter swapped places, It would be a lot easier to enjoy the benefits of XM. Paint chipping at 4 mos : (

Love our Element
By Otown Jim

2009 Honda Element LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We really love our Element. We purchased the vehicle to make it easier to transport our dog (Samoyed). The removable seats in the back are perfect and the room once removed is terrific. The Element handles well in the snow (took it to Montana through multiple snowstorms during Thanksgiving week). Lastly, our boy Buck just loves his new car! Excellent choice for dog lovers and people needing some additional cargo room.

Favorite Features

Removable seats, XM Radio and AWD

I smile whenever I get behind the wheel
By Madison

2009 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have been wanting one of these since the first year they came out. I am not disappointed and would have taken the plunge sooner but my 97 Honda Odyssey just would not wear out. I finally passed it on to someone who appreciated it. The Element has it all - my dog agrees. Plenty of space, fun to drive, Honda reliability and goes thru the snow and ice in Wisconsin like you're driving in July. The clamshell doors are kind of a pain in a tight parking lot but you figure it out. The stereo system is great and the satellite radio rocks. I like being able to just take my bike at the end of a ride and roll it into the back end. The floor cleans up from muddy dogs with ease.

Favorite Features

Favorite features are the flip open back end and the flip up seats. The back seats flip up in about 15 seconds each and you can pull them totally out in just a few minutes after you get used to it. I like to crank the front seat all the way up. Same visibility as in my old Trooper

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have a telescoping steering wheel. HD radio would also be good.

Element SC
By Ben in Yorba Linda

2009 Honda Element SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Recently purchased, put first 1K miles on her today. Overall excellent car, feels very safe. For only a 4 cylinder I am averaging only 20 miles per gallon. Interior is cheap for the most part, especially considering it is a $24K rig. Cheap plastic steering wheel, no ipod controls and no security system come standard, you have to add them as accessories. Wake up Honda and make these standard. Heavy orange peel in paint. Extremely vulnerable to chips. This is unacceptable for any modern vehicle.

Favorite Features

Plastic body panels, solid feel nice sound system.

Suggested Improvements

$24K is a lot of money for anyone. Honda needs to offer security system, leather steering wheel and Ipod controls standard.

I LOVE My Element! : )
By VERY HAPPY : )

2009 Honda Element LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just traded in our 2008 Honda Accord EX for the Element. I have to say I'm very happy with it. IT's very roomy and safe feeling. My children are 6'1" and 6'3" and they sit comfortable in the back seat. The seats have to be reclined some because my tallest sons head will touch the ceiling. The ride is smooth. You don't feel every bump in the road either like we felt in the Accord. The lights don't blink constantly like our Honda Accords did. My husband loves our new Element also. It's so much fun to drive. You won't feel claustrophobic. We have had a 2004 and a 2007 Suburban LT, a Chrysler 300 touring and even though they were more luxurious The Element is our favorite.

Favorite Features

Reclining back seats, very roomy, adorable exterior, dog friendly interior, lots of room for my tall boys' legs. Love the compartments on the passenger dash. The color Polished metallic is beautiful. An inexpensive great quality car.

Suggested Improvements

Need arm rests. Seats for 5 would be a plus. Nicer radio but for the price of the car you can't go wrong. Were going to purchase another radio but that's not a big deal. An extra 12v outlet in the back for the kids.