Used 2008 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Element SUV

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Mostly Utility, some sport
By dc10920

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Very reliable, great ride and great for what I use it for. Best car in its class for a practical life. Easy to clean after the dogs have a dirty day in the park. Easy to get my mountain bikes in and out of. Outstanding for trips to Home Depot or Costco! Also, I am 6 ft 3in and this vehicle fits me better then much larger SUV's!

Favorite Features

Easy to clean, tons of space, great for an outdoor lifestyle and tailgating at the game. Back seats fold up or remove completely with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Little more power, moonroof in the front

Elementary Perfection
By Roadkill

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Overall, the Element is exactly what I have been needing for years. The quality of build is exceptional with the ride and handling as I expected. Before purchasing, I read numerous reviews and so far no surprises. It handles the winding backroads to work with ease and gas mileage is as advertised.

Favorite Features

Flexibility of interior. Although a little hesitant initially, I really like the rubber flooring. Makes cleanup a breeze. XM radio, 4WD, responsive engine and comfortable seating.

Suggested Improvements

Factory shade for the skylight, trip computer, move main cruise control switch to a more convenient location.

The Ultimate Schlepmobile
By Rubbersoul

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First off, this is my 3rd Honda which says a lot. Customer loyalty I guess. I looked at the CR-V and it was a bit "fancy" for me. I want my little truck to be a truck. I am going to fill it up with all kinds of stuff ranging from Mulch to Christmas trees. The "wipe it clean" interior is awesome just for that. Looking at it you would think this is about as aerodynamic as a refrigerator with the door ope. The reality is, the thing is VERY well designed. Virtually no exterior noise when cruising along at 65. Gas consumption is not at all bad considering its a truckish vehicle. Over all this is a really fun SUV and worth every penny. We love it very much. And best of all, It's a Honda!!!!

Favorite Features

Hands down the completely waterproof and easy clean interior. Love how open it is. Sight lines while driving are incredible with almost no obstructed views or blind spots. Very peppy for a 4 banger and the trans shifts like a beemer. HUGE improvement painting all of the plastics on the EX.

Suggested Improvements

I just spent 21K. Could I maybe get the cargo cover and rubber mat for the back? Stuff slides around a lot on the plastic spare tire deck. And maybe a few more tie down points higher up in the cargo area. Other than that it's really fun and ridiculously practical. Yikes!!! I just said practical.

In my Element
By Lauren

2008 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My Honda Element has exceeded expectations in nearly every category for affordable transportation. However, if you buy an Element draw on my experience & be sure to leave the windows slightly open during the heat of the day. Two of my windows have exploded due to heat build up in the cabin. Honda will not warrant this condition and frankly, it's an expensive item to replace glass. I watched in horror yesterday as the glass literally popped and fell out of the car when the car was parked in my driveway. Sure my insurance carrier will pay, but I owe the deductible and risk higher premiums. I am disappointed that Honda isn't warranting the design flaw. I feel very let down by the warranty

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive, has an European type feel. The spaciousness of the cabin, the practical appointments and function is perfect for transporting pets and kids. Were it not for the glass breakage problem that has me confounded and out of pocket a lot of money, I'd give a glowing report.

Suggested Improvements

The window & fixed glass that has imploded in the heat is a safety hazard, though it is unlikely the cabin would be occupied while parked with the windows closed. Still, it is not practical to leave the windows open because of rain or theft. Allowance for contraction/expansion of glass is a must

Repeat Buyer
By Repeat Buyer

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I traded in my 04 Element, and bought the new 08. Loved my first Element, and only traded it because I got a great deal. I live in New England and find the car handles all the weather that we get great. I have taken several trips to New Hampshire. Handles the mountains well.

Favorite Features

Love this cars interior because I own a dog. So easy to keep clean. Bucket of hot water, windex and a sponge and your done.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see center console with raised cup holders, and better arm rests,and it would be nice if the rear window of the clam shell door was electric and went down.