Used 2008 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Element SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Don't replace a BMW with an Element
By kirkd1

2008 Honda Element SUV SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I thought the ride was buckboard with the 04 X3 but this sc is STIFF. Goes around corners better than the minivan character of the regular models but rear seat passengers need kidney belts. This is "she who must be obeyed"s and she doesn't complain but has mentioned the stripped down features coming from her X3 (no automatic lights or turn down passenger parking mirror bugs her). Really we wanted a smaller footprint (carbon and fuel economy) but this is only getting 19 mpg on a good day and the X3 was 17-18mpg. 6 pounds of pollution per 15k miles for the Honda and 15 pounds for the X3. My biggest beef is the short range, especially for a brick with bad fuel economy.

clam shell rear access with a big open mouth and removable seats.

Automatic headlights, passenger rear view mirror that turns down when the car is in reverse, bigger fuel tank (that should have been first) and a more compliant ride.

Take it to the lake!
By gmartin

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

On our first trip north, I had two dogs, a kid, a 10 horse outboard motor, a plug in cooler and 260 miles to drive to our lake. 24 mpg on two lanes with hills. Great utility vehicle and have gotten 28 mpg on the two lanes. 24 on the freeway. We live in MN and it does a great job in the snow also. I may want a more aggressive snow tread though for the back roads.

Interior space, stereo, comfort. Rides surprisingly nice. Power locks on the passenger side would be nice.

Put a power sunroof in up front and skip the moon roof. I tinted ours very darkly at an autoglass shop to keep the sun off my daughter and the dogs.

Root Beer Rules
By S'all Good

2008 Honda Element SUV SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I wanted a more versatile vehicle than the sedans I've driven for years, but didn't want a truck-based SUV or minivan. I've owned several Accords and a Civic -- all great cars -- but after buying a house, needed something to haul stuff on occasion. This well-handling and peppy vehicle fit the bill perfectly. I've been looking for something like this for years. Bought the SC model because I really don't need 4WD, and also really liked the Root Beer color which is only available on the SC. It sits lower on larger tires than the EX or LX. It really makes the car sleeker-looking, and improves the handling. Love this car, and expect to keep it for a long, long time. Fits all needs.

Color, styling, handling, versatility, features, large, deep center console, XM radio with great sound system. Ride is very comfortable, even with the lower profile tires. Performance is peppy and fuel mileage has been 25-27 all around. Lots of bang for the buck & Honda quality and reliability.

Front sunroof, better body rigidity (although the clamshell door design may be the culprit). Rear hatch should be unlockable using the remote... must use the key to lock/unlock it. Brake pedal a bit spongy. Telescoping steering wheel would be nice, as would a cargo net. Give us some leather seats!

Feeling like a kid again!!!
By dqdave

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it for the fun, but this is a practical car that I can use for my bikes, or camping, or the long winters in Wisconsin. And, I think it's the most comfortable car I've ever been in. MPG is fair, 24-26, mostly highway. MT is silky smooth, better than my S2000.

I'm 6'4" and I fit like a first class seat on a airplane. Can fit two bikes and three persons inside. Fun to drive.

Arm rest falls to low for comfort. Looking into a after market armrest to solve that problem.

Love my Green Toaster
By Rob

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was looking for an all around vehicle for hauling stuff, commuting, and occasional 4wd needed when camping, but didn’t want a truck and this car fits perfect. Always loved the ‘funky’ looking unique design on the outside, but was surprised how big this small SUV is on the inside. More headroom and driver space than my wife’s Suburban. Great for moving furniture, trips to Home Depot, Costco, etc. Consistently get about 22 mpg (not bad for an AWD box), although I drive fairly conservative lately due to gas prices. Thought the rear moon roof was weird at first, but nice to see out of when using seats as a bed. AWD makes this a real blast to drive on dirt roads! 6 months and very pleased.

This vehicle is functional, functional, functional. Look at the SC model or CR-V if you want more car like interior features. Easy to clean flooring, 270 watt stereo w/ sub- woofer, mp3 jack, 1-touch driver side window power up/down, well thought out functional design. Cargo capacity, AWD, color.

More horse power, but then gas mileage would suffer too. Stuff tends to slide around on hard plastic flooring, cargo mat standard for trunk area would be nice. Seating for 5, moon roof in front. Has blind spots due to mirror’s being so far forward, but solved with small mirrors bought at auto store.