Used 2008 Honda Element Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Root Beer Rules
By S'all Good

2008 Honda Element SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I wanted a more versatile vehicle than the sedans I've driven for years, but didn't want a truck-based SUV or minivan. I've owned several Accords and a Civic -- all great cars -- but after buying a house, needed something to haul stuff on occasion. This well-handling and peppy vehicle fit the bill perfectly. I've been looking for something like this for years. Bought the SC model because I really don't need 4WD, and also really liked the Root Beer color which is only available on the SC. It sits lower on larger tires than the EX or LX. It really makes the car sleeker-looking, and improves the handling. Love this car, and expect to keep it for a long, long time. Fits all needs.

Color, styling, handling, versatility, features, large, deep center console, XM radio with great sound system. Ride is very comfortable, even with the lower profile tires. Performance is peppy and fuel mileage has been 25-27 all around. Lots of bang for the buck & Honda quality and reliability.

Front sunroof, better body rigidity (although the clamshell door design may be the culprit). Rear hatch should be unlockable using the remote... must use the key to lock/unlock it. Brake pedal a bit spongy. Telescoping steering wheel would be nice, as would a cargo net. Give us some leather seats!

Feeling like a kid again!!!
By dqdave

2008 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it for the fun, but this is a practical car that I can use for my bikes, or camping, or the long winters in Wisconsin. And, I think it's the most comfortable car I've ever been in. MPG is fair, 24-26, mostly highway. MT is silky smooth, better than my S2000.

I'm 6'4" and I fit like a first class seat on a airplane. Can fit two bikes and three persons inside. Fun to drive.

Arm rest falls to low for comfort. Looking into a after market armrest to solve that problem.

Love my Green Toaster
By Rob

2008 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was looking for an all around vehicle for hauling stuff, commuting, and occasional 4wd needed when camping, but didn’t want a truck and this car fits perfect. Always loved the ‘funky’ looking unique design on the outside, but was surprised how big this small SUV is on the inside. More headroom and driver space than my wife’s Suburban. Great for moving furniture, trips to Home Depot, Costco, etc. Consistently get about 22 mpg (not bad for an AWD box), although I drive fairly conservative lately due to gas prices. Thought the rear moon roof was weird at first, but nice to see out of when using seats as a bed. AWD makes this a real blast to drive on dirt roads! 6 months and very pleased.

This vehicle is functional, functional, functional. Look at the SC model or CR-V if you want more car like interior features. Easy to clean flooring, 270 watt stereo w/ sub- woofer, mp3 jack, 1-touch driver side window power up/down, well thought out functional design. Cargo capacity, AWD, color.

More horse power, but then gas mileage would suffer too. Stuff tends to slide around on hard plastic flooring, cargo mat standard for trunk area would be nice. Seating for 5, moon roof in front. Has blind spots due to mirror’s being so far forward, but solved with small mirrors bought at auto store.

Where's the beef?
By tricat

2008 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle after owning a Nissan Pickup for 6 years. I bought it to be able to haul my bikes inside instead of outside in the bed of the pickup. The interior is functional, perfect for my needs. The performance is terrible, bad hesitation upon acceleration. If you need to accelerate RIGHT now, forget it. The tires squeal on almost any sharp corner, in rain it feels unsteady, like it could hydroplane at any second. Terrible mileage (21 MPH for a 4 cylinder). I honestly think rollover is a problem or will be soon. The sunroof is unusable in that it is in the back and cannot be opened remotely.

rubber floor and stain resistant seat. Very versatile interior features.

better handling, better mileage, smoother engine, quieter.

New to me but excellent so far
By Brian

2008 Honda Element LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I picked up a 2008 Element and so far it has been great. The sales person was decent and with the incentives I think it is an excellent buy for anyone looking for a small SUV with good utility uses. Granted, it isn't going to pull a huge load but for normal use, grabbing a dresser, mattress or something like that it will work much better than most smaller SUVs. Any things I might "want" on this truck are minor.

EXCELLENT headroom Plenty of space for most basic uses Comfortable

Moon roof rather than manual pop up Covers on some of the different storage areas Standard MP3 aux plug on all models