Used 2008 Honda Element Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Element - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

This is my second one
By Dave Perry

2008 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Element. My first one was a 2006, same equipment, different color and traded for an S2000 which was fun while it lasted. I use my 2008 Element as a daily driver and I also sell a high-end Swedish car in my day job which I know inside and out (this will explain some of my suggestions later on). I think the Element is the perfect vehicle for me for a lot of reasons. It gets reasonable gas mileage (27 highway, 24 overall), it has reasonable power, is a blast to drive (no S2000, but what is?), is reliable as motor vehicles get, and has great ergonomics and fun to drive.

Versatility, plain and simple.

Automatic audio control for sound output to adjust when noise levels get higher, powered rear windows and moonroof, AC control knobs that look more like the audio controls (current ones look tacky), and maybe a diesel engine.

Perfect for dog lovers!
By MastiffMobile

2008 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

If we had purchased any other vehicle, we'd have ruined the interior by now! As an active, young military couple we are avid beach-goers, dog lovers, and spend lots of time traveling 13-15 hrs to see family when we get leave time. This vehicle is perfect for it all! We easily fit our two English mastiffs in the back with room to spare... The waterproof interior holds up great against all the sand, ocean water, and drool! It's comfortable to ride in for all of our long trips, and it's been great for driving to and from dog shows! We've actually had the discussion about "what will happen if Honda stops making the Element by the time we want another one," and we don't know what we'll do!

The waterproof interior, amazing cargo space, great gas mileage, and overall comfortable drive/ride!

Find a way to make the backseat have room for three.

True SUV
By criticaliron

2008 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

So many "want to be SUV's" don't hold a candle to the Element. With urethane floors, water/stain proof seats, huge storage capabilities, AWD and good low end torque this vehicle runs circles around the competition. There really is nothing like it. If you bike (we can get two road bikes with aero bars in the BACK), camp, scuba dive (just toss your gear in and hose out later) this is the winner hands down. Most SUV's are all image, but no substance (carpet and leather seats are not advantageous to an active lifestyle). The Element delivers with Honda reliability. After years of Jeeps and their mechanical issues I am hooked on this Honda's sewing machine perfect (and simple) four cylinder.

Simple, efficient 4 cylinder with easy maintenance, unbelievable storage space, urethane flooring, waterproof seats, rear doors make great tailgate with roof for tailgating, storage nooks, pleasant ride, seats and steering wheel that can be manipulated for any size driver, good SUV carbon footprint.

Wished rear windows had power opening device (like in some minivans). They open out, but it has to be done manually. Just a little more power (a 20 - 30 HP hybrid electric motor on top of the 4 cylinder would make this the perfect vehicle). Not impressed with the stock Goodyear tires.

Element #2
By ghostrider78

2008 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This replaces my 04 Element LX and it is leaps and bounds better! The AWD was great in a hard great lakes winter even with the OEM tires. The colored body panels are a definite looks upgrade. The stereo in the EX sounds great and the steering wheel audio controls are something I wouldn't go without again. Fuel mileage is so-so and wind noise can be excessive on the highway. Overall, I love this car for the functionality and great winter handling.

Stereo, AWD, functionality, great winter handling.

More power, better fuel economy, wind noise reduction.

The Perfect All Around Car for Me!
By Lizzie

2008 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am a manufacturers rep and drive many miles - I've logged 67K miles in 15 months. My Element is reliable, roomy, has plenty of power on the highway, tons of room for me to carry my samples; headroom to accommodate the tallest of passengers - legroom to spare; this cute little SUV has it all...plus, the lack of carpet makes it so easy to keep clean - after a visit to the beach sweeping out the sand is a breeze. The best part, for me, is that it's ultra easy for my two 80 lb Labradors to jump in and out of - The rear seats come out and give them a huge area. Also, the seats are washable - this is a plus when you have dogs with muddy feet or when you spill your coffee... the Element has it all!

No carpet makes it easy to keep clean. Easy to clean fabric on seats. Huge cargo area; suicide doors and clamshell opening in rear make it easy to load big or awkward cargo.

I wish the cruise control selector was located on the steering column - it's in a very awkward spot near the door and too low.