2008 Honda Element SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:
a buckboard with short range
By kirkd1 on 02/14/09 13:01 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Element SUV SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

...and bad gas mileage. Admittedly moving from an '04 BMW X3 was a questionable decision. But at lease turn back they wanted $3k more for the 04 than we paid for the 08 Honda. We were looking for a smaller carbon footprint. The BMW spewed 20 pounds per 15k miles where the Honda 6 pounds. We were not expecting the poor gas mileage (it is a shoebox but still). The absolute biggest pain is the range, it has a small tank, you would think they could find room for a little bigger gas tank.

Don't replace a BMW with an Element
By kirkd1 on 01/30/09 13:36 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Element SUV SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I thought the ride was buckboard with the 04 X3 but this sc is STIFF. Goes around corners better than the minivan character of the regular models but rear seat passengers need kidney belts. This is "she who must be obeyed"s and she doesn't complain but has mentioned the stripped down features coming from her X3 (no automatic lights or turn down passenger parking mirror bugs her). Really we wanted a smaller footprint (carbon and fuel economy) but this is only getting 19 mpg on a good day and the X3 was 17-18mpg. 6 pounds of pollution per 15k miles for the Honda and 15 pounds for the X3. My biggest beef is the short range, especially for a brick with bad fuel economy.

Take it to the lake!
By gmartin on 01/26/09 11:12 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

On our first trip north, I had two dogs, a kid, a 10 horse outboard motor, a plug in cooler and 260 miles to drive to our lake. 24 mpg on two lanes with hills. Great utility vehicle and have gotten 28 mpg on the two lanes. 24 on the freeway. We live in MN and it does a great job in the snow also. I may want a more aggressive snow tread though for the back roads.

Root Beer Rules
By S'all Good on 12/27/08 19:55 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Element SUV SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I wanted a more versatile vehicle than the sedans I've driven for years, but didn't want a truck-based SUV or minivan. I've owned several Accords and a Civic -- all great cars -- but after buying a house, needed something to haul stuff on occasion. This well-handling and peppy vehicle fit the bill perfectly. I've been looking for something like this for years. Bought the SC model because I really don't need 4WD, and also really liked the Root Beer color which is only available on the SC. It sits lower on larger tires than the EX or LX. It really makes the car sleeker-looking, and improves the handling. Love this car, and expect to keep it for a long, long time. Fits all needs.

Feeling like a kid again!!!
By dqdave on 11/06/08 06:36 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it for the fun, but this is a practical car that I can use for my bikes, or camping, or the long winters in Wisconsin. And, I think it's the most comfortable car I've ever been in. MPG is fair, 24-26, mostly highway. MT is silky smooth, better than my S2000.

Love my Green Toaster
By Rob on 10/30/08 15:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was looking for an all around vehicle for hauling stuff, commuting, and occasional 4wd needed when camping, but didn’t want a truck and this car fits perfect. Always loved the ‘funky’ looking unique design on the outside, but was surprised how big this small SUV is on the inside. More headroom and driver space than my wife’s Suburban. Great for moving furniture, trips to Home Depot, Costco, etc. Consistently get about 22 mpg (not bad for an AWD box), although I drive fairly conservative lately due to gas prices. Thought the rear moon roof was weird at first, but nice to see out of when using seats as a bed. AWD makes this a real blast to drive on dirt roads! 6 months and very pleased.

Where's the beef?
By tricat on 10/20/08 19:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle after owning a Nissan Pickup for 6 years. I bought it to be able to haul my bikes inside instead of outside in the bed of the pickup. The interior is functional, perfect for my needs. The performance is terrible, bad hesitation upon acceleration. If you need to accelerate RIGHT now, forget it. The tires squeal on almost any sharp corner, in rain it feels unsteady, like it could hydroplane at any second. Terrible mileage (21 MPH for a 4 cylinder). I honestly think rollover is a problem or will be soon. The sunroof is unusable in that it is in the back and cannot be opened remotely.

New to me but excellent so far
By Brian on 10/10/08 11:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I picked up a 2008 Element and so far it has been great. The sales person was decent and with the incentives I think it is an excellent buy for anyone looking for a small SUV with good utility uses. Granted, it isn't going to pull a huge load but for normal use, grabbing a dresser, mattress or something like that it will work much better than most smaller SUVs. Any things I might "want" on this truck are minor.

Really Don't Like It
By JustCC on 10/09/08 19:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

All the stuff I have in it slides all over the place (nothing slides in our Suburban), the seats hurt my butt and back, the headrests puts my head in a weird position, I've had two very minor fender benders at very low speeds and each one has resulted in mega repair bills because if the front touches anything it caves in. The paint on the cladding chips easily. Small gas tank means more frequent fill ups, rattles, I hate hate hate having to get out of the car to close the back windows.

Homeowners Vehicle of Choice
By Dominik on 10/08/08 20:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned an 06 Element and now just bought an 08. From road trips with the dogs to hauling 4x6 wood posts and 4x8 plywood back from Lowes in the same load this vehicle has done everything I've wanted it to do. I always remove the backseats out of my Elements, it makes things easier to clean and get in and out of. I treat it like a covered pickup with really good fuel economy.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.