2008 Honda Element SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:
Ripped off from Honda Dealer
By bproctor on 01/03/12 21:11 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Element SUV SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm sorry to say that I didn't do my homework with this car! So, shame on me. However, I was told by the Honda Service Dept that all Honda Heaters don't and won't shoot heat down on to your feet when you point the heater control to feet and defroster! Also, the brakes stick and that seems to be the norm! Anybody else have these issues! Thank you. Major blind spot because of the doors! I would love to return the car!

Perfect "Out of the Box" vehicle
By lalande on 06/15/11 18:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Element new in February of 08. Two weeks later I made a 9 hour trip each way to Fort Kent, Maine on the Canadian border in the middle of a snow storm to photograph the Can Am dog sled race and she performed wonderfully. Driven her all over the North East and Mid Atlantic. Never had any issues with any weather. Easy clean, load her up and go. Not for those who want plush luxury. Dog owners, campers, hikers, climbers, bicyclists, surfers, Home Depot strollers, this is the vehicle for you. Fun to drive, reliable, very versatile and pretty comfortable. Tons of space for driver and passengers to enjoy. Best vehicle I have ever owned and the most fun to drive too.

Excellent for two
By gafulham on 04/21/11 08:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought our Element used with 24k on it. Overall we are quite happy -- only real drawbacks are as follows: 1. Rear access is a total pain in the a@#! We probably drive 80% of the time with the rear seats stowed -- this would not be a great family car (our kids are grown and gone) 2. Interesting lack of amenities on a top line model - ie., no auto unlock button on passenger door, no outside temp meter, intermittent wipers have only one speed. 3. Towing capacity rating is a joke -- is Honda serious about this or are they being hyper cautious? 4. Mileage is only so-so Still, it is like a storage pod on wheels and it is fun to drive. Also great with dogs (we have 2). A good buy overall for us.

My first SUV-easy to clean and reliable
By Jersey Jeff on 08/25/10 13:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This was our first SUV and having a messy child and a dog in our family, the Element is a breeze to clean and to haul stuff, especially with the rear seats up. The interior is roomier than you think. Ride quality is rather spartan but not unexpected and the engine could use a little more hp. Gas mileage is lousy, I'm hoping for a hybrid version. I am 6'2" and find the driver's seat belt to be very uncomfortable on my neck. We have owned this car for 2 years and it has been the most reliable car we have ever driven. Quality seems to be excellent on our Element!

Elementary SUV
By Marco Minardo on 08/09/10 20:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought used with 30K miles. This Honda is an extremely thirsty little SUV. In town I never got better than 20 mpg, 25 mpg on the interstate at 75/78 mph without AC was achievable with Super Unleaded Fuel, otherwise 23 mpg was more the norm for such an underpowered 4 cyl. engine that otherwise is very smooth and torquey at the bottom. The transmission gearing was poor as well, shifting hard and constantly between 4th and 5th back and forth at highway speeds. The 'no carpet' floor would be a great idea if it were rubber and not that hard slippery plastic. Horrible with bugs and rocks on the windshield as well as wind noise. Worst Honda I ever owned in terms of poor performance and fuel economy.

Love the Toaster!
By run_jon_run on 05/29/10 16:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This was my wife and I's first new car. Got it initially because we have 2 great Danes and they grew out of our '88 civic. Was drawn to the safety features and the 2.4 L 4 cyl, since it has a timing chain and not a belt. We use Honda's synthetic oil and put a k&n air filter in it and have gotten 29 mpg (doing 65 mph) before. Most trips we average 23-26 doing 75 though. The 4 cyl. is punchy and I most always have plenty of power.

Great Bang for the Buck!
By Albert P on 03/29/10 07:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I drive a lot! I use this car for work and running my kids for sports and it does everything I need. In four years it will have over 100k miles and I will probably get another one. It is easy to clean inside and out. I am a big guy and I love the room. Great head and leg room. Easy to drive and parking is never a problem.

Second Element, Second Car bought new
By pepsicolacat on 11/16/09 15:27 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I own a 2005 element ex awd which has a four speed automatic. The 2008 ex awd has five speed automatic which gets better gas mileage than a five speed manual. I average 20-21 on the 05 if I drive 80 to 85mph on the freeway. I averaged 24mph on a all freeway trip averaging 90mph driving from Columbus to Dayton.

Glorified Junk
By WetMonkey on 10/08/09 23:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my last Honda!!! For the last 25 years I have bought them all (Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Subaru, Caddy...etc) but never witnessed a vehicle in this size to only tow 600 pounds? This means weak Transmission and lack of suspension support. They sure made it big enough to stuff whole garage full of stuff. Plus the sheet sounds like it was make of coke cans. The car is noisy and can't decide to stay in 4th or 5th gear. From what I know, all Hondas have this problem. WEAK and noisy. AWD system does not do so well compared to my Suby. The front wheel always slips during rain or snow and engages the rear tad late...what's the point. Prone to roll over. Complete design flaw

Best vehicle purchase
By sportbiker29 on 10/04/09 01:29 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Element used with 21,000 miles on it and have since put 7,000 miles on it with only great news to report. My Element has given me a reliable and fun driving experience from day one. I've used the Element to go camping and haul all my equipment to evenings at the Drive-In theater. The AWD makes driving in the rain a breeze and I love, love, love the ride height of the Element. The water resistant seats and flooring have worked out nicely for my trips down to the beach with my 90lb dog. I enjoy my Element more and more every day and I can't wait for snow season to take the Element to the slopes for some snowboarding!!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.