good value
By boeserkritiker on
2007 Honda Element LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I bought this vehicle new in 2007. got 97K miles now. It has served us reliably well as you hope from a honda with 2 exceptions. right after the warranty expired we had to shell out 500 bucks to replace a rear strut that was gone. and the original battery left us stranded multiple times when it was only 3y old. . i read on blogs that many people had that problem. since it got replaced, out of my pocket, that issue is gone. the door design is weird if you have people actually using the rear seats. especially in tight parking spots. you get trapped in the space between 2 doors. it gets worse if you have to get little children out of their child seats in the rear.
Favorite Features
I was never happy about the mpg. on one hand its ok for a vehicle that size i guess but when we don't need the large space for luggage etc. we drive as much as possible with or more full efficient second car. lately mpg in mixed driving got barely over 20. used to get 23 with 25 highway. engine runs a little rough in cold weather until it has warmed up. you need to figure out how to store stuff in the car otherwise it slides around on the slick floor all the time.
Suggested Improvements
I would still recommend the car hands down. it is overall very reliable, versatile and easy maintain and keep clean. i barely spend more than $200 a year on average on repairs and maintenance per year. I ran 2 sets of tires for almost 50K miles each and do basic maintenance myself. I transport large stuff all the time and the fold-up/ removable seats really come in handy for that. we even happily slept in the rear of the car on the floor on an air mattress with the seats up when it was raining cats and dogs on a camping trip and the tent literally collapsed under hard downpour. last but not least the car is a rally good value for the size and reliability.