Used 2006 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Element SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

It became a legend
By drrtygary

2006 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In 2003, I hated them. They were square, somehow shy looking, and yet moved with unearned confidence. Then, in 2009, when a friend told me he was looking for one, I gave it a second glance. I test-drove one. Seven hours later, it was in my name. I bought my 2006 Element EX with 30,000 miles on it. Six years later, when the odometer read about 77,000 miles, I found it hit by a driver and totaled. Very sad. This Element is the perfect companion. It's resilient, adaptable, and always two steps ahead. It finished my...sentences. As long as I fed it oil and kept it up, it was dependable. In 2015, I'm looking to buy my second Element. I love this car, even if it's a bit nerdy and too forgiving.

Versatility. Rear seats are easily folded up flat and hooked or fully removable. The cargo has the capacity to sleep two adults, fit a queen size mattress or a hide-a-bed, haul an eight-foot kayak, and tuck in two road bikes. Simplicity. Power windows, AUX line in, power mirrors, rad stock sound system, and AC. Anything else would just complicate it. Reliability. I rarely serviced mine, having driven 50,000 miles on it. I changed the oil and some filters, bought new brake pads (only in the rear since the front were fine). Even with 2WD, I was one of the last cars driving up a blizzardy hill before other cars started sliding down and hitting expensive things. Character. Lots.

Seats could use a little lumbar support and the material in them is great for washing, but my driver-side one dried out and began cracking and tearing. A little more pep and a little less gas sucking would have been wishful. Center console was loose and wiggled around, and while I appreciated the three cupholders, I wish the front one were a little larger like the other two so as to fit all of the HydroFlasks. Suicide doors were fine, but when having people in the rear, it always felt a little weird. The higher rear seats, on the other hand, were great for keeping otherwise forgotten about rear passengers in on conversations. Hooks. Why no hooks to hang things from? Wings?

Best car ever
By elementgal

2006 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 Elements and I have loved them both. Best cars ever. Great gas mileage and roomy! Can clean out easy so if you have 1-2 kids this car is perfect. Very roomy in the backseat for your passengers. This car goes anywhere! Snow, Ice, Grass, Water... You name it, it goes!

Easy clean out, great gas mileage, roomy, subwoofer, AWD (drives in snow and ice great).

If I had to complain, I would say windnoise and maybe a little bit more power, but hey, it's a 4 cylinder!

Toaster can GO!
By toastergirl223

2006 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car and we had it about 3 years prior to it becoming mine, and this is one of the most reliable cars you can get. A couple of years ago we were on a long trip when we were almost out of gas and this car kept going way past empty until we reached a gas station. The only problem is the exterior. I mean, come on, it's a toaster.

The car is just a great car. I like the easy adjustments in the back seat, plus only seating 4 makes it roomy which is nice for long trips.

When you put the back seats up to fit more in the back it blocks all view in the already limited blind spots, sure you have more room, with the small price to pay of the fact that you can't see.

Not for everyone, but a great car
By Jonathan W.

2006 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Element for 5 years now and am still waiting for the first sign of a problem. (OK, there was an airbag light that came on for no apparent reason, but a brief visit to the dealer fixed that.) It just keeps on running despite my best efforts to wear it out. The all wheel drive works great, and while it is not a performance car by any means, it has more than enough giddy-up. The absence of carpets, along with the water resistant upholstery, makes it an ideal choice for camping, swimming, etc. -- even with dogs. I am 40 years old, but I don't think I will ever outgrow the Element. I look forward to keeping this car for 5 more years and then getting a new Element.

No carpeting. Water resistant upholstery. Front seats and rear seats fold flat and link together to form a surprisingly comfortable place to sleep. Sunroof in the back is great for looking up at the stars. The way the back seats fold up and out of the way is awesome.

The center console is kind of flimsy and separates from the floor easily. It also collects crud and is a pain to clean. Maybe a redesign is in order, perhaps with a sliding cover for when the cup holders are not in use?

Great Car
By Adam

2006 Honda Element SUV EX-P 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love driving this car. I bought it brand spanking new in November of 2005 with 63 miles on it. The stock stereo is awesome for stock. You could pack a smart car in the back if you needed to. TONS OF SPACE. Great gas mileage. Awesome in the snow. The only complaints i have are the road noise, and i really wish they put a V6 in it. The 2.4 L 4cyl is lacking. It would be nice to have usb connection for my iPod instead of the aux. You can definitely tell a difference when the a/c is on. The headlights broadcast perfectly and the car would benefit from HID lights. Other than that, the car is great.

Stereo, gas mileage, space, looks, great road trip car.

V6 instead of the 4cyl, better seats, seat heaters, USB connection for ipod, reduce road noise.